Riding Schools

13 replies to this topic
  • mikemac61

Posted July 13, 2003 - 04:50 PM

Has anyone out there been to an off-road riding school? If so, would you recommend it or was it a waste of time? I'm talking about the more advanced riding kind of thing, not a "this is the clutch, this is the brake, this is the throttle" class. My practice time is limited and I want to make the most of it but I feel like I've reached a plateau I can't get past without some coaching.

• live_to_ride

Posted July 13, 2003 - 06:19 PM

I'd be interested in this as well. I've also been looking for road bike schools, and I found a few. I'm going to take a class this month and hopefully another this fall. An off road school would be really fun. :)

• 433rd

Posted July 13, 2003 - 06:42 PM

• endurodog

Posted July 13, 2003 - 07:44 PM

I took the Gary Semics course a few years ago for MX and thought it was well worth the money. If I get a chance to take another school I will in a heart beat. Way better performance for the dollar than a new pipe or what not.

• BlueThunder

Posted July 13, 2003 - 08:23 PM

433rd.........now that's a guy I'd like to teach me how to ride...."one fast Mo-Fo!" :)

• live_to_ride

Posted July 13, 2003 - 08:45 PM

Destry's class is spendy. 150 for 4 hours? It would have to be twice as long for me to spend that much.

• BlueThunder

Posted July 13, 2003 - 08:49 PM

Seems a small price to pay for some valuable knowledge? Can barely put fat bars on your ride for that price.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 125shifter

Posted July 14, 2003 - 02:44 AM

I'd be interested in this as well.

The "local" Gary Semics instructor (out of Helena Montana I believe) will come to Salt Lake for a group lesson. He won't charge travel time if there are a certain number of participants.

He'll come to SLC for a private lesson, but you'll spend as much in his milage as the lesson.

Dean Olsen
1207 Shirley Rd.
Helena, MT 59602
Phone: (406) 458-8164
Montana (Will Travel)

Contact him and get more details if you're interested. Count me in if we can put together a local group lesson.

Seems a small price to pay for some valuable knowledge? Can barely put fat bars on your ride for that price.

• Pooley

Posted July 14, 2003 - 01:28 PM

Are there any schools that are more woods oriented? I need some pointers on proper woods technique. I don't ride MX but it always sucks when a 14 year old on a CRF150 can out ride me in the tight woods, pretty damn embarrasing! :)

• 433rd

Posted July 14, 2003 - 06:27 PM

• BlueThunder

Posted July 14, 2003 - 09:19 PM

Myself and 2 friends are very seriously considering it....4 hours with Abbott would be a kick. Man that guy can ride! :)

• Stumpy

Posted July 16, 2003 - 03:06 AM

Check out www.richlafferty.com He offers several schools a year, but they are in NJ.

• mikemac61

Posted July 16, 2003 - 12:58 PM

Thanks guys, I will follow up on these leads. I live in GA so I would like to find something in my time zone but if these guys travel I'm sure they would come here if I could get a good sized group together. Let me know if you're interested. Thanks again. :)

• 433rd

Posted April 02, 2004 - 11:56 AM

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.