YZ426F Won't Wheelie

31 replies to this topic
  • 426Ryder

Posted December 01, 2010 - 03:04 PM

Hey Guys,

I have a YZ426F that I purchased a month ago. It had some issues with the carb when I bought it so I pulled it and changed the jetting from a 180 Main to a 168. Also changed the pilot from a 45 to a 42. Still I had issues with the carb and the bike was popping. Finally, I took it to the shop and they fixed it for a really good price. Bike runs great, sounds awesome, fair amount of power..BUT when I first bought it before touching the jets and taking it to the shop it would wheelie like crazy in several gears but it ran like shit..NOW I can feel it kinda float but definitely not popping up like it used to. Any ideas? Could it be the jetting?

Performance:
Dr D Full Exhaust
UNI

Elevation: 1200 Ft
Temp: 70 to 100 F

Thanks!

• kx250fnick

Posted December 01, 2010 - 03:21 PM

It could have someting to do with your jetting,remember these bikes are not made to wheelie.Because when you wheelie,you starve your bike of fuel by the fuel sloshing around.So I would take a look at your carb one more time to make sure you have everything right.

• c_dasilva127

Posted December 01, 2010 - 04:33 PM

It could have someting to do with your jetting,remember these bikes are not made to wheelie.Because when you wheelie,you starve your bike of fuel by the fuel sloshing around.So I would take a look at your carb one more time to make sure you have everything right.

Hmm thats interesting because my bike is jetted properly and it still wheelies.

• yzf1999

Posted December 02, 2010 - 05:26 PM

yeah thats shit because i could ride a wheelie from 1st thru 5th on mine and ride it forever and it always ran perfect

• gscx

Posted December 02, 2010 - 05:58 PM

What did they do to fix the problem?

• Polar_Bus

Posted December 03, 2010 - 08:23 AM

What did they do to fix the problem?

Replaced the bald rear tire ? :thumbsup:

• zukboy789

Posted December 03, 2010 - 08:28 AM

Maybe its your technique and maybe you remember it wheelieing better than it really did. Other than that i couldnt see a valid explanation.

• c_dasilva127

Posted December 03, 2010 - 01:48 PM

I agree on that one. Its like the people that ask how to get more power out of their 426s or 450s, when if you think about it, people that dont know what mods to do in the first place, dont even need all the power these bikes put out anyways- let alone trying to add more to them. :thumbsup: So changing your jetting shoudnt do that. Have you inspected the clutch?

• 426Ryder

Posted December 04, 2010 - 06:18 AM

Trust me this beast is not wheeling the same as it was before. When you flick the throttle in first that front tire should not be on the ground. Yes the rear tire is brand new. When it was in the shop the mechanic found a completely random part that was not supposed to be in the carb. (I bought this bike not running right) AND the fuel screw was missing the tension spring so it would move around when the bike was on not keeping the same mixture. Originally the bike would only run with the choke pulled out. Now the bike is running great but I'm just noticing less power. It's not a huge deal as you are saying, you dont ever need the power these things produce. I've noticed the fuel screw is backed way out..about 2.75 turns. One thing I've never looked at in the carb was the needle. I have no idea if it stock or where the clip is at..

• c_dasilva127

Posted December 04, 2010 - 08:51 AM

The fuel screw isnt supposed to be that far out. Put the 45 in there that you took out earlier and you can turn the fuel screw in some.

My jetting specs are:

Model: 2000 YZ426F
Edit Revision Date:
Main Jet: 170
Pilot Jet: 45
Starter Jet: Stock
Leak Jet (if any): N/A
Fuel screw/Setting: 1.75 turns out
Needle/Position: Stock
Filter: Uni Dual Stage
Pipe/muffler: powerbomb w/ti powercore
Altitude Range:1100'
Temp Range: 70-80
Humidity Range: 30% -50%

Comments:
Boysen Quickshot is on there. Im not positive if the fuel screw is 1.75 turns out. Its normally right around there depending on the temperature outside.
You can look in the sticky for our bikes jetting and everyone has a different set up due to different conditions. Im not saying mine will work for you but its what Ive found to be best on my bike and it has more than enough power to throw my ass off the back in a heart beat

So what i would recommend is to put it back to stock jetting specs as a baseline, buy some jets that are a couple different sizes, and start putting them in. working on one circuit of the carb at a time, and get an adjustable fuel screw if you dont already have one. then see what direction it goes in, if it feels better or worse. Just like tuning suspension.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_604

Posted December 04, 2010 - 04:59 PM

This thread is funny. I WISH I could get the front tire on my 426 to stick to the ground better!. hehehee

Good luck to the OP. Sounds like the jetting still isn't 100% right.

• 426Ryder

Posted December 05, 2010 - 07:50 PM

The fuel screw isnt supposed to be that far out. Put the 45 in there that you took out earlier and you can turn the fuel screw in some.

My jetting specs are:

Model: 2000 YZ426F
Edit Revision Date:
Main Jet: 170
Pilot Jet: 45
Starter Jet: Stock
Leak Jet (if any): N/A
Fuel screw/Setting: 1.75 turns out
Needle/Position: Stock
Filter: Uni Dual Stage
Pipe/muffler: powerbomb w/ti powercore
Altitude Range:1100'
Temp Range: 70-80
Humidity Range: 30% -50%

Comments:
Boysen Quickshot is on there. Im not positive if the fuel screw is 1.75 turns out. Its normally right around there depending on the temperature outside.
You can look in the sticky for our bikes jetting and everyone has a different set up due to different conditions. Im not saying mine will work for you but its what Ive found to be best on my bike and it has more than enough power to throw my ass off the back in a heart beat

So what i would recommend is to put it back to stock jetting specs as a baseline, buy some jets that are a couple different sizes, and start putting them in. working on one circuit of the carb at a time, and get an adjustable fuel screw if you dont already have one. then see what direction it goes in, if it feels better or worse. Just like tuning suspension.

Thanks for the input bro. The specs you have are the exact ones I was considering. I'm going to switch out my 42 for a 45 and take the 168 main to a 170. I picked up a dynojet kit for only 30 bucks so we'll see what it does. Also, I just got home from riding all weekend. I'm going to order a new clutch kit because it slips in and out of 5th gear when at full throttle..

• c_dasilva127

Posted December 05, 2010 - 08:11 PM

It may not be the exact setup as mine but since you have a kit you cant just see what works and what doesnt. And my bike runs prime. Doesnt bog, starts first kick hot or cold. I actually think Ive only had to use the hot start button 3 times in the 7 years Ive owned the bike. So just look at the jetting sticky at the top of the 426/450 forum and you can get a more widespread idea of what jetting specs people are using for different locations.

• gscx

Posted December 05, 2010 - 09:22 PM

Thanks for the input bro. The specs you have are the exact ones I was considering. I'm going to switch out my 42 for a 45 and take the 168 main to a 170. I picked up a dynojet kit for only 30 bucks so we'll see what it does. Also, I just got home from riding all weekend. I'm going to order a new clutch kit because it slips in and out of 5th gear when at full throttle..

Ok, the slipping in and out of gear is because the dogs are worn down on the gears, and they will need to be replaced. And do a search on the O ring mod, you will need it

• grayracer513

Posted December 05, 2010 - 09:30 PM

Ok, the slipping in and out of gear is because the dogs are worn down on the gears, and they will need to be replaced. And do a search on the O ring mod, you will need it

True, that. 3rd and 5th on the main shaft, along with the shift fork. Clutch won't help.

• 426Ryder

Posted December 07, 2010 - 03:32 PM

So if I replace all 3 forks and the 3rd and 5th gear wheels I should be good? Sorry I'm fairly new to the transmission aspect of things.

• grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2010 - 03:36 PM

No. The only fork that is related to this problem is the fork that slides the third pinion. The 3rd and 5th wheel gears (on the output shaft) are not involved, although you may find something wrong with them on inspection. The 3rd and 5th pinion gears (the gears on the main shaft) are the ones causing that problem.

• 426Ryder

Posted December 07, 2010 - 04:07 PM

That would be fork shift #2 correct?

• 426Ryder

Posted December 07, 2010 - 07:06 PM

Nevermind grayracer, I figured it out from one of your previous posts..thanks for your help, it's much appreciated!

Alright guys so here is what I have on order..

JETTING ISSUES:
Dynojet kit (Also looking into mods)

TRANSMISSION:
Yamaha GEAR, 5TH PINION (5JG5)
Yamaha GEAR, 3RD PINION (5JG5)
Yamaha FORK, SHIFT 2 (5JG5)

CLUTCH:
Entire Clutch Kit (Since I bought the bike used I figured I might aswell replace it)

Total: about $230

• ray

Posted December 07, 2010 - 09:30 PM

Before you start ordering parts, you need to get in there and see what's actually wrong with it. You need someone who knows what they are looking for to go over it with you. If your clutch is slipping, it is more noticable in the upper gears because there is more load on the bike. Are you sure the gears are popping out, or could the clutch just be letting go when your in the upper gears. You need to know before you start ordering parts. Could it be that you are going just a bit faster when you are trying to wheelie in first gear? 1st is so low, that you may just be running out of gear by the time that wheel wants to come up. Most use a taller gear like 2nd or 3rd to initiate a wheelie, even if started going really slow. Theres no way just slight jetting changes are preventing a 426 from wheelying. I can't believe I've allowed myself to get into a "wheelie" topic, can we go ahead and argue over the bikes top speed while we are at it?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.