Parts for 1988 Yamaha YZ 250

10 replies to this topic
  • THE BLUE MANDM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:44 PM

I am picking up a free 1988 YZ 250 this weekend.
The owner says the engine is blown, but everything else is in good shape.
My intension is to rebuild this bike for a friend of mine who got me into riding thirty years ago. He was bad ass back in the late 60's early 70's.:blah:
He has had some difficult times lately(wife passed away), and I want to give him the bike.
Can anyone direct me to a good source for parts?
I would like to try and get it running for him by Christmas.:thumbsup:

• BruceD_500

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:35 PM

L.A. sleeve if it needs a rod kit. The Rod kit is common from about 1983-1994 I'm pretty sure . The 1988 was one of the last years with a cast iron liner from the factory so no trouble to bore the cylinder on the 1988. No Nikasil to worry about.
The cylinders right up to 1994 will fit on the 1988 bottom end but the carb points in slightly different directions from year to year. and the intakes changed after 1988 .
Lots of parts on e-bay usually.
If you run into any specific troubles post and I'll try to help I've got more experience with these bikes than I care to admit.
I flattracked a 1988 for 3 years and plan to some day rebuild it. It's in the attic right now.

Very nice gesture for your friend :thumbsup: good luck with it .

• MEANDMYDRZ

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:18 PM

I'm in the process of starting to gather parts for my 87, seems to be lots of part still avaliable for these mid 80's YZ's. By the way, very cool thing you're doing for your friend!

Posted Image

• jcat

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

Super guesture for the friend man thats great. I have an 87 that I bought as a basket case in the 90s. I completely rebuilt and rode for a few years, and then stuck it in storage. Last year my son dug it out and wanted to go through it. We pulled it back down and went through it again, and he loves it. We have RMs and he loves that old YZ. They are great old bikes that make good trail bikes. There are probably 50 pages of parts on EBay, so anything you need should be there./ I would suggest to only use factory crank bearings and seals. Hot Rods crank, and Wiseco piston have held up well. Be sure to set the ring end gap properly, and the bikes respond well to Boyeson power reeds. Be sure to check piston to power valve clearance, and adjust accordingly. Enjoy these are fun old bikes:worthy::thumbsup:

• BruceD_500

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:54 PM

Cool 87 :thumbsup:

The 1983-1987 share allot of common parts in the engine the 1988 looks kind of similar to the 1987 but it was a clean sheet of paper and shares little with the 1987.
The 1988-1994's share allot as far as engine cases and internals.

One of the main differences on the newer ones (88 on) is the coolant passages go through the front of the cases and cylinder , where as the older ones used hoses and routed the coolant externally.

• MEANDMYDRZ

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:58 PM

Cool 87 :thumbsup:

The 1983-1987 share allot of common parts in the engine the 1988 looks kind of similar to the 1987 but it was a clean sheet of paper and shares little with the 1987.
The 1988-1994's share allot as far as engine cases and internals.

One of the main differences on the newer ones (88 on) is the coolant passages go through the front of the cases and cylinder , where as the older ones used hoses and routed the coolant externally.

Very good information!

• THE BLUE MANDM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:15 AM

Thanks for all the advise.
Picking the bike up this afternoon. I have not even seen it, but the owner races the NMDRC series, and knows my son. Said the bike was in good shape, just that the crank is bad.
I'll let you all know, as I'm ure I will be asking more questions.

Thanks again.

• BruceD_500

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:23 PM

that Con Rod runs right back to the 1983 YZ250 and IT250's as well as TY350 trials and TRI-Z250's Right up to the 1989 YZ250 and probably would work right up to 1994 YZ & WR 250's so you might have luck on e-bay with a cheap one listed for one of those models.

• buzzard111

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:09 PM

heres a pic of me on my 88 yz 250 taken about 20 years ago. i loved this bike, the guy i bought it from had it tricked out with pro circuit pipe and fmf reeds. it was awesome fast, wish i never sold it. be sure to post pics of yours :thumbsup:

Posted Image

• THE BLUE MANDM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:22 AM

Well I got the bike home late yesterday afternoon, and it does have promise of being a nice bike!

Plastics are like new, FNF silencer and pipe in good shape, good tires too.

I found a crankshaft on e-bay and bought it, so let's see what happens.

I'm sure it won't be done by Christmas, but I have a new winter project.

Thanks for the help.

• THE BLUE MANDM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:47 AM

Here' an update on the YZ project.
I haven't been working on it much, not enough time, as With this bad economy, have to hustle all the time.
However, the botton end is done, and the cylinder is getting bored and fitted for a fresh piston.

One of the problems I have is that the chain block is worn more than I like, and the chain blocks on ebay are worn just as bad.

The local dealership has one in stock for $60.00!!!

I am starting to search for an after market part, but no luck yet.

Anyone have a spare they want to sell, or a a cross referance to other years of bikes that will also work?

Thanks
:smirk:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.