Setting the rear sag on my 09 YZ450F?

5 replies to this topic
  • bodnar44

Posted November 30, 2010 - 09:26 AM

Is 2 inches of sag a good starting point for rear setup? My weight is 180lbs and I like a softer setting because I ride mainly on the trails.

• grayracer513

Posted November 30, 2010 - 09:47 AM

No. Four inches is closer. That's 4" with your weight standing on the pegs, and as little as possible on your hands. The bike calls for about 95-100mm (1" = 25.4mm)

Read:
http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm

http://www.tootechra...pension Tip.htm

Setting the sag DOES NOT make the spring softer or harder, it only changes the ride height. The correct ride height affects overall handling and suspension operation. If you want a softer ride, start by opening up the compression adjusters. Beyond that, you may want a set of softer springs, but the stock ones should be about right.

• dino 702

Posted November 30, 2010 - 09:57 AM

Is the race sag number taken from the static sag position or with the suspension all the way topped out? I have found inconsistencies with this issue.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bodnar44

Posted November 30, 2010 - 01:39 PM

Ok! Thank you for the info!!!

• grayracer513

Posted November 30, 2010 - 02:07 PM

Is the race sag number taken from the static sag position or with the suspension all the way topped out? I have found inconsistencies with this issue.

Both the race and static sag numbers are measured from the fully extended position.

Race sag is how much the suspension compresses from fully extended with the rider aboard, static sag is how much the suspension compresses from fully extended under the bike's weight only.

• YamaLink

Posted December 01, 2010 - 05:49 AM

Adding to grayracer's great input.....have your riding gear on when your friend takes the on-bike measurement. And I can't stress this enough: make sure they know where your starting and ending points are for measuring. I like to make a little pen mark(s) just so everyone is on the same page.

You on bike with gear, bounce up and down, hands on bar but trying to stand as straight and centered as possible. Measure.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.