Dirt Bike Magazine tire test

12 replies to this topic
  • Indy_WR450

Posted July 12, 2003 - 04:05 PM

Hey just got the latest issue of Dirt Bike magazine and they do an 8 tire test on varying conditions to see the best all around tires: Results are in:
Michelin S12 rated 23.5
Bridgestone M402 rated 22.0
Maxis IT rated 21.5
Dunlop D756 rated 21.0
Kenda Millville rated 20.0
Pirelli MT 32 rated 20.0
Shinko Holeshot rated 19.0
Michelin M12 rated 15.0

I find their test winner to be awsome all aroungd tire for my riding. I am glad that other TT members are also finding the S12's to work very well. I am really impressed with them in the mud and sand but they also do respectably well in hard pack. They also last a good 500 miles plus depending on the terrain.
:)

• xr600r

Posted July 12, 2003 - 04:07 PM

What size S-12 do you run in the rear, indy ?

• xr600r

Posted July 12, 2003 - 04:10 PM

Oh, and thanx for answering my questions about the thunder alley pipe. :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 12, 2003 - 04:26 PM

I run the 140/80 which is like a regular 120 tire. The Thunder Alley pipe does have a USFS approved spark arrestor. It has the Kinzman stamp and part number on the pipe it just does not have the words USFS approved like the stock pipe. The pipe has been great and really rips down low. I Love it! :)

• PMAUST

Posted July 13, 2003 - 03:50 AM

That just re-affirms what I already know from experience. I have been running the S-12 for dang near a year now and am very impressed with this tire in all conditions. It also holds up very well. What more could you ask for? :)

• Hick

Posted July 13, 2003 - 08:57 AM

That just re-affirms what I already know from experience. I have been running the S-12 for dang near a year now and am very impressed with this tire in all conditions. It also holds up very well. What more could you ask for? :)

I love the S12, especially up front, but it seems a bit flat prone. Maybe it is just me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BlueThunder

Posted July 13, 2003 - 11:19 AM

Really like the S-12 in back but the next front will be an M-12. Doesn't wear as well but doesn't want to push out as much as the S-12 does in the loose stuff....IMO. Love those Michelins though....best skins I've ever ran. :)

• BrianSteele

Posted July 13, 2003 - 12:24 PM

Really like the S-12 in back but the next front will be an M-12. Doesn't wear as well but doesn't want to push out as much as the S-12 does in the loose stuff....IMO. Love those Michelins though....best skins I've ever ran. :)

Try runing the MS2 on the front, in combination with the S12 rear ive never had it so good

• live_to_ride

Posted July 13, 2003 - 12:27 PM

Yesterday was my first ride since I put on a new set of maxxis IT tires. These things are AWESOME!!! I am really happy with them. I drove down to rocky mountain atv and got both the front and rear for about $80. They HOOK UP!! :) :D

:D

P.S. The rear is not so good for just throttling it (with one foot down) to turn around real quick. I tried it twice and both times it launched me off the road, and that was in LOOSE stuff. :D

• Jekel

Posted July 13, 2003 - 03:31 PM

I've been using the S12 rear for over a year and love it. just put a M12 on the front and talk about traction. This is the combe. If the front wears as good as the rear, I see no reason to look elsewhere. :) :D

• PMAUST

Posted July 13, 2003 - 08:09 PM

I have been using the S-12 rear and the MT44 front. This combo has worked really well. Believe it or not though, the MT44 front needs replacing whereas the S-12 rear is still holding up. :)

I have a brand new set of Maxxis tires(front and rear) just waiting in the wings to try on. Since I have them, I'll give them a try. But, unless something earth shattering happens with them, the S-12 will be right back on. As far as flats go, I use heavy duty tubes and slime. So far, no flats. But, I can see how it could happen since there are those gaps between knobbs. Maybe, I have just been lucky.
:D

• racemile

Posted July 14, 2003 - 04:42 AM

I just put on 756 front and rear in feb. In a couple of rides its gonna be time for a new rear tire. Has anyone ever tries the s-12 and a 756 front? Most of my riding is trails. Maybe I should just turn this 756 around.

Racemile

• 450roost

Posted July 14, 2003 - 08:44 AM

I must agree, the MS2 on the front, in combination with the S12 rear. It will take you there!

Try runing the MS2 on the front, in combination with the S12 rear ive never had it so good

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.