Should I sell my 426 to get a 2 stroke??

41 replies to this topic
  • 2strokenut

Posted November 30, 2010 - 06:33 PM

I think many people make it more expensive to run 2-strokes then they really should be. You don't need to run an ultra expensive synthetic 2t oil. Buy some outboard oil and run a forged piston.

Parting out a 426 does not make much sense anymore, maybe a few years ago but not now. Bikes are expensive to maintain as is but switching to another old bike, even if its a 2t, isn't necessarily going to equate to cheaper maintenance. If you bought a YZ or another brand 02+ for cheap, say a grand then it would make sense. You could factor in a new replated cylinder, even a crank, some new bearings and have a bike that will last a long long time with nothing more than piston changes every 100 hours or so.

• grayracer513

Posted November 30, 2010 - 08:09 PM

Two strokes have their place. One of those places is not my garage. I've owned all different kinds of bikes over the years, but I am so done with pingers. Never again.

You do what you want, but if it were me, I'd sell the 426 and buy a later YZ450, say an '06 or '07.

• 2strokenut

Posted November 30, 2010 - 08:23 PM

Two strokes have their place. One of those places is not my garage. I've owned all different kinds of bikes over the years, but I am so done with pingers. Never again.

You do what you want, but if it were me, I'd sell the 426 and buy a later YZ450, say an '06 or '07.

Harsh words...

Well, maybe he wants to have fun instead of fart around in one or two gears...
:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted November 30, 2010 - 08:32 PM

Not everyone thinks two-strokes are fun. Get used to it.

• 2strokenut

Posted November 30, 2010 - 08:37 PM

Not everyone thinks two-strokes are fun. Get used to it.

I know. I think its mostly the older folk, thank goodness for 4-strokes right? Oh well, I have 20 or so more years to enjoy mixing gas.

• grayracer513

Posted November 30, 2010 - 09:41 PM

One of the top contenders in my class rides a two-stroke. It has little to do with age. As I said, not everyone enjoys them.

• thestuz

Posted December 01, 2010 - 02:05 AM

i remember when 2strokes used to be labeled un-reliable...... how times have changed..
if you rteally wanna have cheap fun, get a cr500. the cheapest, most powerfull,most reliable, lightest mx bike ever built.

• grayracer513

Posted December 01, 2010 - 07:08 AM

Powerful, no doubt. Thrilling, certainly. Light? Not. My '94 weighed 255 w/half a tank full.

• lumpy790

Posted December 01, 2010 - 07:23 AM

jecole360 - I have been asking this for several days.......

.....what makes your 4 st cost more?

• grayracer513

Posted December 01, 2010 - 07:42 AM

I get the impression it's not really any more expensive now, but that he's afraid it will be.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shrubitup

Posted December 01, 2010 - 08:37 AM

I get the impression it's not really any more expensive now, but that he's afraid it will be.

Fear of the unknown. :thumbsup:

• usp4u

Posted December 01, 2010 - 09:38 AM

Just traded [COLOR="Red"]my 04 crf450 [/COLOR]for an 05 YZ250 this weekend and I'm so pumped on it! I've easily spent more money on my 450 than its worth in the last couple years. stoked on 2 strokes being easy and cheap to maintain! and reliable!

"Well that's yer problem, right there."

• Ryan426

Posted December 01, 2010 - 10:27 AM

I to have an '01 YZ 426 and want to sell and get me a 2 stroke. Can't take the $$$ issuses no more or the wife bitching when I do shell cash every pay check.

• grayracer513

Posted December 01, 2010 - 11:53 AM

I to have an '01 YZ 426 and want to sell and get me a 2 stroke. Can't take the $$$ issuses no more or the wife bitching when I do shell cash every pay check.

Then maybe you can answer Lumpy's question:

jecole360 - I have been asking this for several days.......

.....what makes your 4 st cost more?

• beezer

Posted December 01, 2010 - 12:14 PM

I bought an 08 YZ250 and liked it but I liked my 450 more and sold the 250.

Yamaha 450's run forever with the oil changed and a clean air filter.

• shrubitup

Posted December 01, 2010 - 02:06 PM

I bought an 08 YZ250 and liked it but I liked my 450 more and sold the 250.

Yamaha 450's run forever with the oil changed and a clean air filter.

What he said. Staying away from a rev limiter ain't too bad an idea either but if you're racing MX that's not always a choice. As a woods rider you hafta try HARD to reach a rev limiter. :thumbsup:

• 426Ryder

Posted December 01, 2010 - 03:18 PM

It all depends on what you do more....

If you're into short distance riding then a 2 stroke is for you.

If you prefer long distances you'll want a 4 stoke.

Personally, I love my 426 but I ride really long distances. I rip on it hard sometimes but I'm definitely not sitting at the rev limiter the whole time.

You have a hard choice to make so just make sure you look at it from every angle. You definitely do not wan't to regret it.

Good luck man :thumbsup:

• thestuz

Posted December 02, 2010 - 12:51 AM

Powerful, no doubt. Thrilling, certainly. Light? Not. My '94 weighed 255 w/half a tank full.

well mine is roughly the same weight as a new 450. for such a old bike, and for the power they have, they are a very light bike.
try find a bike with that much power/reliability that weighs less.
mine weighed 112kg. im happy with that.

but on the subject, old yamahas last forever but they get down on power. the newer yams are still reliable, but rebuilds are alot more expensive when you race and do taredowns every 50 hours.
if your a woods rider, they are considered cheap and reliable. if you race, they can be expensive. (espec if you ride a crf)
a 2stroke just costs $300 for a fresh top end.
a 4 stroke needs up to $1000 and often needs professionals to build them correctly.they also go through bottom ends as quick as a 2poke.

2stroke needs
piston
reeds
conrod.
minimum labour.

4poke needs
piston
valves/valve seals
head work (decarbon, cut valves,shimming etc)
valve guides(sometimes)
valve springs
camchain
oil and filters.
AND A LOT OF LABOUR !
then there are fuel injection problems(blocked fuel filters,broken pumps, ecu mapping failures)
and im not going to mention cams, cam chain tensioners, oil preassure, hard starting but they can be an issue sometimes.

i can see why some people prefer the simplistic design of the 2poke.
but there is not a real big cost difference if you just plod around. its only if you race them hard that they cost lots..

• Kasjok

Posted December 02, 2010 - 06:01 AM

Usually people forget that 2 strokes have worse fuel milage nad they need premix oil. It might sound like notinhg, but in a long run (a season) it would add up to considerable number.

• c_dasilva127

Posted December 02, 2010 - 07:00 AM

Well if fuel mileage is a concern then you can always put a bigger gas tank on if youre doing long distance rides. Riding at the track uses alot more gas then riding trails or the desert because you're not pinned through the trees the whole time and the desert you just cruise for the most part. Ill go through 2 gallons of gas at the track on my 426 in a matter of hours. My jetting is stock besides a 45 pilot.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.