Should I sell my 426 to get a 2 stroke??

41 replies to this topic
  • jecole360

Posted November 27, 2010 - 09:19 PM

I am considering selling my 02 YZ426 and going back to a 2 stroke bike. The more I add up the cost it seems like it is getting way expensive to maintain this bike plus It seems like aftermarket parts are not as available. I am more familiar with 2 stroke engines and feel more comfortable working on them versus 4 strokes but I really don't know know what I should do right now. I don't know, maybe it's the cold weather messing with me!:thumbsup:

• Swapper265

Posted November 27, 2010 - 11:52 PM

You have pretty much answered your own question. The answer is YES !!

You wont regret it !!

:thumbsup:

• c_dasilva127

Posted November 28, 2010 - 09:00 AM

I agree on that one also because I have a 426 and I'm ready to move on. I was thinking about getting a 125 or a 250, probably YZ's because my bikes have always been blue. Pretty much everything Im looking for is in a two stroke. I dont need to list the pros off for you because you always know what they are. So sell the beast and get an aluminum frame 2 stroke. Your body and wallet will thank you. :thumbsup:

• shrubitup

Posted November 28, 2010 - 09:18 AM

I am considering selling my 02 YZ426 and going back to a 2 stroke bike. The more I add up the cost it seems like it is getting way expensive to maintain this bike plus It seems like aftermarket parts are not as available. I am more familiar with 2 stroke engines and feel more comfortable working on them versus 4 strokes but I really don't know know what I should do right now. I don't know, maybe it's the cold weather messing with me!:thumbsup:

Does the 426 need to be rebuilt immediately? What upcoming engine work is needed? If it's just a top end - no big deal.

• c_dasilva127

Posted November 28, 2010 - 09:37 AM

Does the 426 need to be rebuilt immediately? What upcoming engine work is needed? If it's just a top end - no big deal.

What if he needs alot more than just a top end? And the the list of parts that need to be replaced, exceed the price of what the bike is worth?

• shrubitup

Posted November 28, 2010 - 12:45 PM

What if he needs alot more than just a top end? And the the list of parts that need to be replaced, exceed the price of what the bike is worth?

Agree. If more is needed sell while running.

• mikewrf18

Posted November 28, 2010 - 12:54 PM

Keep the 426, and get a 2T. I'm a 4stroke guy, but if I could afford to add another bike to my fleet it would be a 2stroke! 2strokes are a blast, and have their benefits. I'd like to have a 4stroke for woods, and a 250 2stroke for the sand. If you have two, you'll always have one to ride while the other is down!

• GENE426

Posted November 28, 2010 - 01:15 PM

Just buy a new 450 LOL

• jecole360

Posted November 28, 2010 - 05:21 PM

What if the list of parts that need to be replaced, exceed the price of what the bike is worth?

My point exactly! I don't know alot about 4 strokes to begin with and don't have the time or patience to work on them for that matter. I spoke with Toby at MXP in Lafayette the other day and he said it would cost me $450 just to split the cases and inspect everything not including parts if anything needs fixed. Don't get me wrong the bike runs great so far and I love it but it is a tank, parts are expensive, it is 8 years old and it's not worth very much. I just want a simpler bike thats easy and cheap to work on if I need to (no more valves to worry about either! lol). I'm just trying to make up my mind!

• c_dasilva127

Posted November 28, 2010 - 05:56 PM

My point exactly! I don't know alot about 4 strokes to begin with and don't have the time or patience to work on them for that matter. I spoke with Toby at MXP in Lafayette the other day and he said it would cost me $450 just to split the cases and inspect everything not including parts if anything needs fixed. Don't get me wrong the bike runs great so far and I love it but it is a tank, parts are expensive, it is 8 years old and it's not worth very much. I just want a simpler bike thats easy and cheap to work on if I need to (no more valves to worry about either! lol). I'm just trying to make up my mind!

Yeah I'm in the same boat you are. The only thing I'm not sure about is if I want a 125 or a 250. I could ride a 125 faster on the track but if I ever wanted to go to the desert the bike needs about 3 more gears. So I was leaning more towards an 05 or newer YZ250. Its alot lighter, easier to work on, aluminum frame, the suspension and ergos are much more updated the list goes on. Plus two strokes are dirt cheap also so it wouldn't be burning a huge hole in your wallet which will thank you in the long run, as goes your body that doesnt have to wrestle with a 260 pound top heavy tank anymore. I have a 426 too and like it, but I would like to have a 2 stroke again more. Plus, I always loved the smell of 927 :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shrubitup

Posted November 28, 2010 - 06:37 PM

Pffftt! Valves to worry about? Are you sure you should be worried about them? Have you measured their tolerances lately? I have valves and I don't worry about them. :thumbsup:

BTW, I am a former die hard smoker too. :blah:

• c_dasilva127

Posted November 28, 2010 - 07:17 PM

Pffftt! Valves to worry about? Are you sure you should be worried about them? Have you measured their tolerances lately? I have valves and I don't worry about them. :thumbsup:

BTW, I am a former die hard smoker too. :ride:

Haha hes right! My car has 127,000 miles on it and its never had to have the valves adjusted! And it still has the stock clutch!! :blah:

• Grassman100

Posted November 29, 2010 - 09:42 AM

Been wondering this myself....I have a 99' YZ400f and it's runs awesome right now,starts on about the third kick every time even hot starts good,but when that time comes, it could get quite pricey.

• shrubitup

Posted November 29, 2010 - 10:25 AM

Been wondering this myself....I have a 99' YZ400f and it's runs awesome right now,starts on about the third kick every time even hot starts good,but when that time comes, it could get quite pricey.

Keep it until it blows up then part it out.

• lumpy790

Posted November 29, 2010 - 10:52 AM

In 2001 I went from a 400 back to YZ250. I can honestly say there are some things each bike does better than the other.

OP in your opinion.....Why is your 426 "expensive" to run?

The 400/426 motors are as reliable as you can get......much more reliable than any of the newer 450's.

You said split the cases to check? Why..... Is something wrong? Not sure why you would need to. You check the rod big end bearing clearance without disassembling the cases.

• DeeCee

Posted November 30, 2010 - 05:40 AM

I agree with Lumpy790's comments, I run a YZ400 and a CR250R, they are quite different bikes and both are fun to ride.

In respect of running cost, I am constantly amazed at the comment by many people that 2t's are cheaper to run. Through running both my bikes I find they are not, in fact the weekly running cost for the 2T is probably higher due to the cost of the synthetic 2T oil I use. Over a period of 2 years, the costs are near enough the same. I change my 2T top end at around 160-200 hrs, the YZ has not been changed and by the way it runs, it doesn't need it.

Message is, don't go into a 2T thinking it will be cheaper to run, you will soon find it isn't and there will be no saving over running your YZ

• lumpy790

Posted November 30, 2010 - 07:43 AM

Not only the 2 st oil but in my YZ250 I have to run $7 a gallon race gas or it pings from lack of octane. ...... where 4 strokes can run std hi test pump gas.

Only difference I can think of is a 4 stroke needs the oil filter replaced....or get a rinse able oil filter.

Again.....OP.....what makes your 4 st cost more?

• bluethumper98

Posted November 30, 2010 - 07:51 AM

I have a 98 yz400 that runs great too. I like both two and four strokes but I found the yz400 to have more power than the 250 two strokes. The bike has been great and will be around for a while yet.

• rippedbx

Posted November 30, 2010 - 05:15 PM

Just traded my 04 crf450 for an 05 YZ250 this weekend and I'm so pumped on it! I've easily spent more money on my 450 than its worth in the last couple years. stoked on 2 strokes being easy and cheap to maintain! and reliable!

• jecole360

Posted November 30, 2010 - 06:25 PM

The only thing I'm not sure about is if I want a 125 or a 250. :

Go with the 250 for sure! You'll end up hating it if you go from the big 426 to a 125 zinger. I use to own a KX 125 and it sucked compared to my 426!

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.