Another Carb question

4 replies to this topic
  • crash279

Posted November 27, 2010 - 08:09 PM

I have been jetting and tinkering with the carb on my WR426. Through this forum I have been able to narrow my ailment to the TPS. I still have a hint of a hiccup, but it is a lot better than it was. My question is if I update the carb to a newer style FCR will the throttle position sensor be any better?

• William1

Posted November 28, 2010 - 06:12 AM

If your TPS is out of adjustment and you cannot get it adjusted in range, you need to replace the TPS. However, the new style FCRs are a better carb and easier to work on and tune. You want to be careful buying a used carb as it may be worse that what you already have. There is a reason the carb is being sold, often that it is from a worn out bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crash279

Posted November 28, 2010 - 02:47 PM

I do have more experience with the new FCR carbs, but there doesn't seem to be that much difference to me. The bike is running waaaay better and I'm debating on whether a newer carb is even worth it. The carb that I have been looking at buying is from a forum member, so I will trust that it is in good shape. Other than being a little more refined in design, what else would I gain by swapping the carbs?

• foggy3061

Posted November 28, 2010 - 11:06 PM

Other than being a little more refined in design, what else would I gain by swapping the carbs?

Remote hotstart.

Your 2001 carb will have the hotstart plunger mounted on the side of the carb, next to the choke.

A 2003 > carb has the hotstart lever mounted remotely on the clutch perch.

• William1

Posted November 29, 2010 - 06:44 AM

The older slants style carbs have a more difficult to adjust AP system. They are also more prone to slide cracking.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.