2007 WR450f FMF muffler?

17 replies to this topic
  • TZman

Posted November 27, 2010 - 04:54 PM

Putting a FMF on my 450 do you use the band clamp or just silicone?

• locomacdaddy

Posted November 27, 2010 - 08:37 PM

Just went through this a couple of months ago with a PowerCore...

I was told it was a slip on (which it is) and no silicone was needed...

Trust me, just get some high temp silcone and you'll be rockin! use the right coupler depending on the header and no need for the clamp. :thumbsup:

• climaxx dirtbikes

Posted November 28, 2010 - 01:18 PM

I didnt have silicone on hand when I installed my Powercore. Do you think it makes that much of a difference? If so I suppose I could pull it off and put some on pretty easy.

• wanawakeboard

Posted November 28, 2010 - 01:23 PM

naa makes no difference, you might get a little popping when you let off the gas from air getting into your exhaust but performance wise I dont think it makes any real difference...

• KennyMc

Posted November 28, 2010 - 06:08 PM

I put one on my '07 when I first got it (never rode it with the stock muffler). I didn't use any silicone and have never had any issues with decel popping. Did the JDJetting as well.:thumbsup:

• climaxx dirtbikes

Posted November 29, 2010 - 11:45 AM

I guess I wont worry about it then. Thanks TT

• SJMC_DON

Posted November 29, 2010 - 07:35 PM

They can already be a pain in the ass to slip off and on, I would strongly suggest NOT putting any sealer in there and no clamp is required...

I have a Q2 and Power Bomb on my 07' since day one, no clamp or sealer and there is dents all up and down the system but the pipe to header connection has never leaked :thumbsup:

• locomacdaddy

Posted November 29, 2010 - 08:20 PM

I had it without silicone for a couple of months until I added the silicone.

Makes a difference! started getting more decel popping as the temps dropped this fall (messed around with jetting trying to get rid of it) and when I added the silicone it sealed it right up, runs smoother and better with the silicone. Even FMF suggests using it for optimum results.

I'd say for the few dollars for the silicone, what do you have to lose? The slip on set-up does not seal up like the stock pipe does with the clamp. I'm sure some bikes will seal better than others but if you haven't tried to seal it with silicone...you really owe it to yourself to try it, I was surprised of the difference, and I thought it ran good before.

• climaxx dirtbikes

Posted November 30, 2010 - 11:57 AM

Ya know I have had more decel popping lately with cooler temps. Ahh what the hell you talked me into it. Guess Im getting some silicone. What is the cheapest place to buy some anyway?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wanawakeboard

Posted November 30, 2010 - 03:11 PM

problem is if you use that junk odds are youll get it leaking into the exhaust chamber... once it gets hot it kinda melts and then flies back and cloggs your spark arrestor (if your running one) up to you...

• locomacdaddy

Posted December 01, 2010 - 06:24 AM

Ya know I have had more decel popping lately with cooler temps. Ahh what the hell you talked me into it. Guess Im getting some silicone. What is the cheapest place to buy some anyway?

Not sure if you already got it but, just head to any auto parts store and they will have high temp silicone. Good luck!

• climaxx dirtbikes

Posted December 01, 2010 - 12:43 PM

You think this could happen even with high temp silicone?

• Strattos

Posted December 05, 2010 - 09:38 PM

I've used high temp silicon as per the instructions (http://www.fmfracing...ingInstructions) that came with my slip-on 4.1 for years and haven't had a problem with either leaking or getting it off - just give it an easy twist and it slides off. DON'T use exhaust cement. you will definitely have problems getting your slip-on off if you use that gunk.

I think the fit is a bit tighter/better if you're using a FMF header as well, as opposed to the adapter colar that comes with the slip-on, so in that case it might not be as necessary to use silicon. Just my two cents.

• ruderacer87

Posted December 06, 2010 - 09:16 AM

tt newbee here!!!! ruderacer87 got a 07 wr450f with the same fmf muffler and stock header. stock jetting and opened air box...do i need to do jet changes...im in california from sea level to 5000 ft....thanks anyone

Edited by ruderacer87, December 06, 2010 - 10:13 AM.

• climaxx dirtbikes

Posted December 06, 2010 - 12:14 PM

Search tool is your friend!! Good luck! and WELCOME TO TT!!

• KennyMc

Posted December 06, 2010 - 01:18 PM

tt newbee here!!!! ruderacer87 got a 07 wr450f with the same fmf muffler and stock header. stock jetting and opened air box...do i need to do jet changes...im in california from sea level to 5000 ft....thanks anyone

Definatley should re-jet:thumbsup:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=411240

• GASKICKER

Posted August 17, 2013 - 08:06 PM

I have the FMF megabomb and a LEXX MX slip on; this weekend the adapter collar, which was never really seated properly, slipped out all the way and I noticed the leak from the obvious increase in sound and the heat. I could not get that adapter back in place, is there a trick or is the suggestion to do away with the adapter and run silicone? I cannot be the only one out there that does not want to have the noise from the gap thats left when you slip the lexx onto the megabomb.

any and all constructive input is appreciated.

• GASKICKER

Posted August 19, 2013 - 03:02 PM

figured it out.....took the exhaust apart and slipped the collar adapter in, then put that slowly onto the header - perfect! and no silicone

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.