blowing white smoke out breather tube-- 06 450

3 replies to this topic
  • atropine

Posted November 27, 2010 - 10:47 AM

A little background:
06 YZ 450, i replaced stock the stock piston/rings 2 years ago with a CP 13:1 piston and CP rings, also replaced cylinder with new one at same time. Never done any head work; valves were all in spec at that time. Since then, I have only put 30 hrs on the bike. Bike was running great this spring when I put it away for the summer. Got back home a couple months ago and pulled the bike out, went for one ride and it ran great. Then took it out again a few weeks ago and noticed it just wasn't running right; a lot of decel popping. I figured it was just running lean from cooler air temps an tried to adjust with fuel screw, but it never got it completely remedied. Took it out again a week later and problem was getting worse; noticed a little white smoke out of breather tube. Also noticed a big crack in the head pipe and figured that was the cause of my problems. Replaced the head pipe and took it out again yesterday, started up on first kick but once it got up to temp it started blowing white smoke out breather tube and then died. Played with fuel screw but couldn't get it any better. So I am assuming I have some valve problems or ring issues. Oil looks just fine, full level and doesn't look like any indications of water in the oil. Any ideas? Also, I don't think I want to take the time to do any more work myself. Any recommendations for repair work in the Vegas area?

Edited by atropine, November 27, 2010 - 10:49 AM.

• twomancrew

Posted November 28, 2010 - 07:34 PM

Head gaskets?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lumpy790

Posted November 29, 2010 - 09:38 AM

White typically means water. How much is coming out or for how long? Condensation will form some water in the oil. If it is a small amount or just smokes for short time it may be from condensation.

• atropine

Posted November 29, 2010 - 06:20 PM

you guys are prob on the right track. dropped it off at the mechanics, he thinks it is prob base gasket leaking. coolant is low and it looks there is evidence of some exterior leak at that gasket.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.