Installing Fork Seals

5 replies to this topic
  • ReedRulz

Posted November 26, 2010 - 01:01 PM

Im gona install new fork seals on my bike and was wondering if there is a way to drive them up into the fork with out a fork seal driver? If not I guess im ordering a fork seal driver and no riding this weekend. Thanks for any help you can give me.

• BBrown626

Posted November 26, 2010 - 02:30 PM

you can use properly sized PVC piping. Even if it is close to the right size you can cut slots in in longitudinally to allow it to flex. It won't have the mass of a seal driver, but you can make it work. If you were clever you could make the pipe several inches long and duct tape some old nuts and bolts to it to give it the needed weight.

If you ride regularly, order a cheap seal driver from Rocky Mountain. Look for the tusk brand.

• cbrewer450

Posted November 27, 2010 - 09:23 AM

I did mine the other day. I used an empty play-doh container. Cut the bottom out and split it down the side. Put it on the fork, lip side towards the seal. I used electrical tape to tighten it up and hold it on. two good drives down and seal was in place. I've gone for a ride on it with no leaks at all. It's amazing what you can do when you can come up with when in need.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikewrf18

Posted November 27, 2010 - 09:30 AM

I've never used a seal driver, and have replaced quite a few fork seals with just a piece of PVC pipe. I just cut a slot down the side of a piece of PVC pipe, slap it over the inner tube, and use a couple hose clamps to form the PVC to the right diameter then drive the seals in. Never had a leak with this method.

• zukboy789

Posted November 27, 2010 - 09:44 AM

Use tape. Wrap tape around the fork tube and slam it down on it a few times. Ive done this multiple times without an issue.

• brentn

Posted November 27, 2010 - 01:07 PM

I did mine the other day. I used an empty play-doh container. Cut the bottom out and split it down the side. Put it on the fork, lip side towards the seal. I used electrical tape to tighten it up and hold it on. two good drives down and seal was in place. I've gone for a ride on it with no leaks at all. It's amazing what you can do when you can come up with when in need.

damn, that's a great idea. I was using a small chunk of PVC pipe that I shaped and carved so that I could tap in the seal from each side. With the lip of the play dough container I suppose it gives you enough grip to slam it in place? Or are you carefully tapping it in from each side with a hammer?

I've used the PVC pipe trick 5 times now with no problems. Whatever you use just push the seal in until you can see the recess for the retaining clip and your done.

For the inner bushing I found that if you freeze it and then heat up the fork tube with a blow torch it will fall right into place making the job much easier. Just make sure that before you proceed with the fork seal, make sure that the tube is fully cooled.
I use electrical tape and tape the spacer, seal, retaining clip and dust seal up on the fork lug so that it doesn't slide down near the hot tube and then lay the tube on it's side until it cools off and finish with the rest.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.