Crank kit opinions

6 replies to this topic
  • cbwood

Posted November 25, 2010 - 10:41 PM

Has any one here used the Wisco crank and gasket kit for the '06-'09 450's? How did it go? Also does anyone know how the crank portion compares to the Hot Rods crank? And lastly is there any good source (possibly a kit) for the remaining lower end bearings and seals? Trying to get it all on the bench before I open things up.

• The Captain

Posted November 26, 2010 - 01:19 AM

Have you not heard of the 100's of problems with the chinese made wiseco's?

Personally I'd go with oem or hot rods.

• camman

Posted November 26, 2010 - 11:17 AM

You will not have a problem with the Hot Rods crank. In fact, they seem to work really well on the yamaha.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cbwood

Posted November 26, 2010 - 09:29 PM

I have not heard of the issues with the wisco crank and rod but would appreciate any input. Can you elaborate some. Just trying to make good decisions.

• Dr GoFast

Posted November 26, 2010 - 09:48 PM

wiseco sucks ass for cranks!! good pistons but stay away from their cranks!! so many stories of them grenading with only a few hrs.!! hot rods or oem ONLY, end of story.

• The Captain

Posted November 26, 2010 - 10:04 PM

I have not heard of the issues with the wisco crank and rod but would appreciate any input. Can you elaborate some. Just trying to make good decisions.

wiseco sucks ass for cranks!! good pistons but stay away from their cranks!! so many stories of them grenading with only a few hrs.!! hot rods or oem ONLY, end of story.

Bingo...

There's been a rather large number of crank failures on this website alone. I personally witnessed (no shit here) 6 fail locally this summer causing catastrophic failure to the rest of the engine. Do a bit of searching around here and you'll see what I'm referring to.

And no, I personally have no issue with wiseco other than their decision to sell chinese cranks to their loyal customers. I actually run and love their pistons, always have.

• cbwood

Posted November 26, 2010 - 10:35 PM

Thanks. Will stick with what others know works.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.