Spark plug question

3 replies to this topic
  • husky390or

Posted November 23, 2010 - 09:24 PM

I pulled the plug on my bike to check its condition and found a white chalky substance around the base of the plug. The boot was sealed against the engine cover. Is this from water? I don't usually ride in water much but I'm not sure what this is. Anyone else see this on their bikes? BTW, easy way to pull the plug is to take some fuel line, make a 1/8" split in it and slide it over the plug. Easy to take out and reinstall.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted November 24, 2010 - 07:00 AM

Atmospheric moisture, if not water. The hole in the right side of the head leads into the plug well to allow oil and or water to drain away from the plug. As the bike heats and cools, air is moved in and out. Normal, and nothing to be concerned about.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husky390or

Posted November 25, 2010 - 06:38 PM

Thank you sir.

• goldsjim

Posted November 26, 2010 - 06:07 AM

Thanks for the tip on easily removing the plug! That is truly a pain in the butt...

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.