Forks have little play

4 replies to this topic
  • czechalien

Posted November 23, 2010 - 03:43 PM

2009 YZ450F, when I take off the front tire and hold the lower part of the fork (shiny part) and move it side to side or back and forth, there's a small play.
I always thought you should not be able to wiggle it at all. it is small amount, that it moves not much.

Well, my question is, is it normal?

• brentn

Posted November 23, 2010 - 04:27 PM

I can't remember... The inner and outer bushing on the inner and outer fork tubes are supposed to prevent excessive play for a fork tube. If they are worn then you'll have a couple of problems

-bits of teflon from the bushing's entering the the lower shim stack
-Seal life is shortened because of excessive play which can cause excessive wear to the seal.
-If the seal is blown then you'll have even more dirt entering the system.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • czechalien

Posted November 23, 2010 - 04:38 PM

I just replaced both bushings and the amount of play is the same. I have 90 hours on these forks since brand new.

• grayracer513

Posted November 23, 2010 - 04:39 PM

The play you see at the end of the fork like that is about 8 times the actual clearance in the two bushings, assuming they have equal clearance. When fully extended, the upper and lower bushings are only about 3-4" apart, which lessens their control over the axle lugs by simple geometry. Since fork bushings must have clearance, "some" play is unavoidable.

• czechalien

Posted November 23, 2010 - 04:48 PM

thank you very much guys.
I replaced bushing anyway since the coating on them was 50% gone.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.