Need new boots, what do you wear or what would you buy?

24 replies to this topic
  • Bill

Posted March 25, 2001 - 12:09 PM

My oldest has the need for new boots and he happens to need the same size as dad wears. So it looks like the boy gets my old ones and I get new ones. One of the perks of being his sponsor :D Plus he'll just out grow them (he's only 14).

I was looking at Alpinestar Tech 8 or 6's and the Fox Forma something's :) Of course my old Gaerne RX pro's have served me well at about half the cost of the two mentioned.

What do you guys like about your boots or what would you buy?

And by the way, if anyone needs some O'Neal Elements size 9's, that are in good shape....$50 plus shipping.

Bill

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC.

• SchlepRock

Posted March 25, 2001 - 01:08 PM

I have always been partial to Alpinestars, TEch 5 series, wich has been replaced by the 6 series. You can still find some of the 5's around. Either one would be a nice fit..

------------------
'00 DRZ E
Where is the kickstart on this thing....

• Marty

Posted March 25, 2001 - 01:34 PM

I wear some Tech 8's, they just feel so good, something about that booty inside helps alot. But they are the most costly. Boots are always a touch decision, especially when your going to be wearing them at 4 to 12 hours a day.

Marty

• MN_Kevin

Posted March 25, 2001 - 01:48 PM

Bill,
For longevity and durability, look for Full Grain Leather, NOT split grain. Also look for a replaceable (footpeg area) sole-plate.

If you want nostalgia, go for the Hi Point (Alpine Stars) w/ the metal plate in front. I wonder what ever happened to mine...???

[This message has been edited by NH Kevin (edited 03-25-2001).]

• Mojo

Posted March 25, 2001 - 01:54 PM

Bill, I really like my SIDI boots. Traditional soles. The replacable sole version was too stiff. Good luck.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 25, 2001 - 03:09 PM

Bill,
I like my Tech 6's. They took awhile to break in but they are comfortable now. I used some of that Alpinestars boot dressing on them a couple of times. It really softened them up. The only problem I have however is feeling the shifter with the top of the boot. My two cents. :)
Dennis

• Darren

Posted March 25, 2001 - 07:23 PM

Go for the tech 8'S!!!! I couldn't decide last year so I thought the 2000 Fox Forma's looked cooler. Boy was I wrong. After one season of riding the boots are totally junk. All the stiching has come out and the leather is shreded. Looks like I wasted a pile of money last year. My buddy has had the tech 8's for 3 years and thay look like new. PLEASE TAKE MY ADVISE, spend the extra couple of bucks and get the 8's, you will not regret it.

Thank You
Darren

[This message has been edited by Darren (edited 03-25-2001).]

• MikeID

Posted March 25, 2001 - 08:46 PM

Here's my $.02...

I've been riding with Tech 8's for the last several years. I like them, but would actually prefer the feel of the Hi-Points, which I wore for years cross-country racing before moving up the Tech chain (from 4's to 8's). I would love to see the white Super Victory's make a return (the boots I had before the Tech 4's).

Tech 8's: Great protection, but slightly big, and pretty warm actually, with the booties. Surprisingly light for their size. My preference for track riding and cross country riding.

Hi Point's: Not quite the protection (especially on big air landings), but better flexibility, and dexterity for working the shifter and rear brake. My preference for dual sporting and woods riding.

Mike
'01 WR426/'00 YZ250/'01 Sherco 2.9

• Ward

Posted March 26, 2001 - 03:11 AM

I just bought my first Tech 8's online from Motorcycle Accessories Warehouse. The boots fit so well it’s almost like they were custom made for me. With what I paid for them they should feel that way.
I was really looking forward to riding with them for the first time tomorrow but noticed one had a stitch defect. When the stitch tore on them during manufacturing they just left it dangling. These will go back tomorrow.
Except for the bad stitch they seem to be very well made so I will re-order Tech 8’s and for what its worth would recommend them even though I’ve never ridden with them on.

------------------
Alaskan rider
'00 WR400FM
WR timing
air box lid removed
Throttle stop trimmed
MSR skid plate
----------------------
'00 Grizzly YFM600

• JamesD

Posted March 26, 2001 - 05:57 AM

I have Tech 8's. My only complaint is they are a bit stiffer than I like. Most comfortable boot I've worn though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bill

Posted March 26, 2001 - 06:17 AM

It looks like I've narrowed this down to the tech 6 or 8's. I really don't like the idea of having to put on the booty. The two boots do not appear to be any different?

Any thought here?

Bill

• TheBOS

Posted March 26, 2001 - 06:40 AM

I like the Sidi's - very comfortable and durable, the new ones with flex ankle and the option to replace all the parts are sweet.
-Brett

• Greg_C

Posted March 26, 2001 - 07:01 AM

Bill, I just got the Alpinestar M4's for about $160.00. They are very nice boots at a good price.

• YZ400Court

Posted March 26, 2001 - 07:14 AM

Bill,
I thought the boot insert would be a problem with the Tech-8, but is is not. Once the boot has been worn, the insert forms into the boot. It has a little strap on the back which you grab when putting your foot in the boot. (the insert stays in the boot all of the time) It makes the boot soooooo comfey. They took some time to break in, and the toe is really tall, but I got used to it pretty quick. I got mine (new style with carbon fiber look) for $249.00 at Piper Performance in Phoenix, AZ.

------------------
Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

• Ron_S

Posted March 26, 2001 - 08:12 AM

Originally posted by Bill:
My oldest has the need for new boots and he happens to need the same size as dad wears. So it looks like the boy gets my old ones and I get new ones. One of the perks of being his sponsor :D Plus he'll just out grow them (he's only 14).

I was looking at Alpinestar Tech 8 or 6's and the Fox Forma something's :) Of course my old Gaerne RX pro's have served me well at about half the cost of the two mentioned.

And by the way, if anyone needs some O'Neal Elements size 9's, that are in good shape....$50 plus shipping.

Bill

• Ron_S

Posted March 26, 2001 - 08:13 AM

Originally posted by Bill:

Bill

Bill, I had last years Fox Forma's, JUNK! I now have the new SIDI's, and they are great. Lot's of friends use Tech 8's, and love them.

• Jemtec

Posted March 31, 2001 - 08:29 PM

Cost wise, the Sidi's Are Awesome. They arent quite a good as the Alpinestars in wear, but they are also as I mentioned, A bit less cost. They also fit more like a Tennis shoe, and dont require much to break in. They feel more like a Shoe as well. The bindings are everybit as good As The Tech series. Overall. its a pretty close match. Both are excellent boots.. But The Techs have a bit of a stronger sole than the Sidi's. But.. Why spend the Extra when you can replace the sole down the road anyway? Additionally..unless you are a hardcore rider, Soles last years. So. Just my opinion, but Id go Sidi.

• sclaus

Posted April 01, 2001 - 10:55 AM

Go with SIDI. I've ridden mine *hard* for 8 years now and have *finally* started to break them. :) All I have done is put SnoSeal on the leather and seams (back in 1996) to keep the water out...nothing else...not even one cleaning! They still have mud on them from the early 90's and are still going strong. I lost a buckle last year (which I haven't replaced yet) and part of the metal toe piece broke-off yesterday. I ride 60-100 miles a weekend, just about every weekend (and up here in the Pacific North Left, it rains 9 months out of the year...no leaks until yesterday) and they have seen every mile. I'd go with SIDI! :D

• MN_Kevin

Posted April 01, 2001 - 11:00 AM

Bill,
Have you ever thought of Ballerina slippers?

• Bill

Posted April 01, 2001 - 11:54 AM

At 223, I'd look like one of the hippos in Fantasia :)

Why, have you thought of me wearing them for you :D Been into the brake clean again, haven't you?

Bill :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.