06' Stiff Suspension/ Seat

9 replies to this topic
  • bhsballer76

Posted November 22, 2010 - 09:23 PM

So I took my newly aquired bikes out this weekend for a short( 30 minute) test to see which bike I preffered.

First thing I noticed was how stiff the 06 yz450f was. It felt VERY rigid and it seemed like alot of stuff the suspension is supposed to soak up was being transferred to the handle bars and into my wrists and arms.

The kx450f by comparison seemed very very plush, almost like riding on a cloud. To be completly fair, the original owner had the suspension redone by doung henry racing. The guy i bought it from was the second owner and didnt have any information on what had been done..

I have beeen searching for an 06 because I heard the suspension is supposed to be pretty good in stock form. I read that the SSS set up was nice..

Am I missing something here? Possible that the adjustments on the yz are why the bike seems so stiff??

Also, the bike came with the stock seat. That thing is rock hard. The kx seat seems very soft by comparison..

Anyone else notice this on the yz? Is there a cheap solution??

• sacfelix

Posted November 22, 2010 - 10:25 PM

My 06YZ450 felt o.k for 3yrs until I got a DIY kit from Smart Performance. The difference was night and day and the cost was as low as a good suspension kit could get. I ride only woods and desert(MRANN). I tried to solve the harsh mid with a set of rising rate ICS springs and it helped on the first 3rd of the stroke but the harshness was still there(Bandaid). As for the seat I still run the stocker but I hardly sit on it as it is. I prefer not to get a comfy seat because then I would want to sit on it.lol!

• grayracer513

Posted November 23, 2010 - 07:54 AM

Are the spring rates stock, or were they changed to suit a heavier previous owner? How much do you weigh? If the springs are stock, and you weigh between 170-190, you should be OK at that. Try going back to the base settings. Turn each clicker in until it it stops turning easily, then back it out:

Fork compression (top of fork): 11 clicks out
Fork rebound (bottom of axle lug): 7 clicks out

Shock LS Comp (screw at top of shock): 8 clicks out
Shock HS Comp (hex at top of shock): 1 1/2 turns out (does not click)
Shock rebound (left side of shock body, above the lower mounting eye): 8 turns out

Starting there, you can try backing out the compression a bit more. You may also want to try removing 8-10cc a side from the forks by pumping it out the vent screws. The fork is very sensitive to oil level, and may have a little too much in it.

Once all that is corrected, you should find the suspension pretty good unless someone has tampered with the internals in the past. As sacfelix mentioned, the full "Dell Taco" treatment from SMART Performance is extraordinary, and an absolutely great bargain, even if you pay to have it done for you.

• bhsballer76

Posted November 23, 2010 - 09:17 AM

Are the spring rates stock, or were they changed to suit a heavier previous owner? How much do you weigh? If the springs are stock, and you weigh between 170-190, you should be OK at that. Try going back to the base settings. Turn each clicker in until it it stops turning easily, then back it out:

Fork compression (top of fork): 11 clicks out
Fork rebound (bottom of axle lug): 7 clicks out

Shock LS Comp (screw at top of shock): 8 clicks out
Shock HS Comp (hex at top of shock): 1 1/2 turns out (does not click)
Shock rebound (left side of shock body, above the lower mounting eye): 8 turns out

Starting there, you can try backing out the compression a bit more. You may also want to try removing 8-10cc a side from the forks by pumping it out the vent screws. The fork is very sensitive to oil level, and may have a little too much in it.

Once all that is corrected, you should find the suspension pretty good unless someone has tampered with the internals in the past. As sacfelix mentioned, the full "Dell Taco" treatment from SMART Performance is extraordinary, and an absolutely great bargain, even if you pay to have it done for you.

im about 220 lb's . I would have to call the previous owner to see if the suspension has been changed at all but im pretty sure it has not been.

• grayracer513

Posted November 23, 2010 - 10:36 AM

In that case, one of the things you're dealing with is the fact that the springs can't properly support your weight, and the compression damping has to be increased to do part of the work of the springs. You will find it works far better once the spring rates have been brought into line.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bhsballer76

Posted November 23, 2010 - 07:42 PM

In that case, one of the things you're dealing with is the fact that the springs can't properly support your weight, and the compression damping has to be increased to do part of the work of the springs. You will find it works far better once the spring rates have been brought into line.

Alright, sounds reasonable. What can I expect to pay for a set of springs?? I have searched in the past but only found information of spring rates, but nothing about pricing..

• sacfelix

Posted November 23, 2010 - 08:03 PM

What type of riding do you do? The springs you need for your weight will vary depending on the type of riding you do. I used the Race-Tech calculator and this is what it came up with:

Type of Riding: Motocross
Rider Weight: 220 lbs

FRONT FORK SPRINGS
Recommended Fork Spring Rate: 0.504 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Fork Spring Rate: .470 kg/mm (stock)

REAR SHOCK SPRING
Recommended Rear Shock Spring Rate: 5.78 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Shock Spring Rate: 5.5 kg/mm (stock)

And for trail riding:

Type of Riding: Desert / Enduro / Trail

FRONT FORK SPRINGS
Recommended Fork Spring Rate(Stock Tank): 0.504 kg/mm (use closest available)
Recommended Fork Spring Rate(Over size tank): 0.527 kg/mm (use closest available

REAR SHOCK SPRING

The shock spring and 2 fork springs usually run between $100 and $115 for each set.

• bhsballer76

Posted November 23, 2010 - 09:31 PM

What type of riding do you do? The springs you need for your weight will vary depending on the type of riding you do. I used the Race-Tech calculator and this is what it came up with:

Type of Riding: Motocross

FRONT FORK SPRINGS
Recommended Fork Spring Rate: 0.504 kg/mm (use closest available)

REAR SHOCK SPRING

And for trail riding:

Type of Riding: Desert / Enduro / Trail

FRONT FORK SPRINGS
Recommended Fork Spring Rate(Stock Tank): 0.504 kg/mm (use closest available)
Recommended Fork Spring Rate(Over size tank): 0.527 kg/mm (use closest available

REAR SHOCK SPRING

The shock spring and 2 fork springs usually run between $100 and $115 for each set.

Man, thanks for all the info. I def plan on doing more moto x than trail riding. Ill say that having the suspension set more for moto x is more important to me. Where would these springs be available?

• YamaLink

Posted November 24, 2010 - 07:04 AM

Rear shock springs retail about $110.

What is your sag setting? If you have wrong springs you more than likely will not be able to achieve the ballpark range of race sag. Too much sag and you are riding too far into the travel's progression, and you have less overall net travel to suspend you for the big hit. And the bike is riding more "rude" at slower speeds because you are so far into the travel that the bike will behave as if you are going faster and/or hitting a much larger object than you really are.

Conversely, too little sag and the rear wheel will skip and dance around on the smaller stuff and that will beat your butt, too, in addition to not getting proper traction and inefficient turning.

Properly sprung. Properly set sag.

• grayracer513

Posted November 24, 2010 - 08:05 AM

Where would these springs be available?

The Thumper Talk Store, or SMART Performance
If you go with SMART, Dave will be able to help with some solid advice on set up, spring selection, etc. If you decide to do more later, he's the guy to go to.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.