2010 yz450f necessary Prep BEFORE 1'st ride ?

24 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted February 01, 2011 - 02:04 PM

The TT Store has them as MSR-Regina ORN6 chains:

http://shop.thumpert...t.asp?p=522&s=2

Bottom of the page.

• Slim Chance

Posted February 01, 2011 - 02:46 PM

I pulled my bike apart and greased it well. My suspension pivots had very little grease on them. Greased all the bearings I could get to and filled the lips of the seals with grease. Air filters on Yamaha dirt bikes will sometimes have a little motor oil on them, but never air filter oil. I serviced mine prior to starting it the first time. I found that one of the wheel collars on the front was installed backwards.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SEOINAGE

Posted February 01, 2011 - 02:54 PM

I pulled my bike apart and greased it well. My suspension pivots had very little grease on them. Greased all the bearings I could get to and filled the lips of the seals with grease. Air filters on Yamaha dirt bikes will sometimes have a little motor oil on them, but never air filter oil. I serviced mine prior to starting it the first time. I found that one of the wheel collars on the front was installed backwards.

It is smart to check your air filter out before riding, I failed to do so, checked it after the first ride and the bar that goes across was disconnected, the filter had so much sticky gobs of crap on it that i am pretty sure it stayed down the whole time, but I was pretty pissed off I potentially could have ruined my machine the day I bought it.

• Slim Chance

Posted February 01, 2011 - 03:35 PM

Wanted to add: When you oil the air filter. let the filter sit a while afterwards. The solvent in the oil evaporates and leaves the sticky oil to trap the dirt. Crank itup right away and the oil can get sucked into the engine. In extreme cases you may foul a plug.

• brentn

Posted February 01, 2011 - 04:25 PM

You guys swear by the regina chains...

I've never tried one but I've heard enough and I'm pretty confident it will be my next chain.

After 5 hours on the bike I believe I changed the stock chain, front and rear sprocket. I bought a non-oring DID chain and so far the wear is very minimal after about 26 hours. I'm pretty happy, the chain was about 100$ but IMO seems to be pretty decent.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.