10 450 k&n filter

60 replies to this topic
  • moto278

Posted December 18, 2010 - 04:35 PM

Its the cover with two bolts you remove to service the air filter.
I drilled about 25 or 30 holes in it.You can see clearly where the filter is pulling my air.

are you talkin bout the black cover under the seat?

• delmas

Posted December 18, 2010 - 06:06 PM

are you talkin bout the black cover under the seat?

yes thats it

• Jeepentj

Posted December 19, 2010 - 07:19 PM

Have you ever considered the possibility of not running the air filter cover (the piece you're going to drill holes into)? Would there be any downsides/risks in doing so?

• delmas

Posted December 19, 2010 - 07:41 PM

Have you ever considered the possibility of not running the air filter cover (the piece you're going to drill holes into)? Would there be any downsides/risks in doing so?

that would work.the tank could work as the cover and if it rained you just put the cover back on

• Davey762

Posted December 19, 2010 - 09:40 PM

I made a topic regarding that before and everyone shut it down claiming even holes would do nothing... but it seems as though this proves otherwise.

• delmas

Posted December 20, 2010 - 04:40 AM

I made a topic regarding that before and everyone shut it down claiming even holes would do nothing... but it seems as though this proves otherwise.

i think it proves you were right

• Jeepentj

Posted December 20, 2010 - 07:25 AM

I remember that thread and do remember there were a lot of people who didn't think drilling holes would help. Did you ever end up try anything or did you just take everybody's word for it that it wouldn't work? I think I'm going to try it myself (removing the airbox lid) and see if I notice a difference.

• SEOINAGE

Posted December 20, 2010 - 07:46 AM

Why not improve the opening and the chamber to the intake? I am sure you could make a better working set up than drilling holes, that improves the air velocity and has better performance.

• steve_97060

Posted December 20, 2010 - 06:14 PM

I think some of the issue is surface area of the stock filter, or lack thereof. the stock filter only really seems to get dirty at the bottom of it, leading me to believe that the airflow is insufficient or channeled to a specific area only.

I have the DT1 system which I haven't had the chance to put on yet, I will also decide on what to do to increase the airflow, either drill holes, and if so where, or try out the new cycra powerflow radiator shrouds which are supposed to increase airflow 40%.

• Davey762

Posted December 20, 2010 - 09:51 PM

I remember that thread and do remember there were a lot of people who didn't think drilling holes would help. Did you ever end up try anything or did you just take everybody's word for it that it wouldn't work? I think I'm going to try it myself (removing the airbox lid) and see if I notice a difference.

I never even gave it a shot because I was convinced that it wouldn't work or be worth the time cause I wouldn't notice it lol. I'm going to give it a try next season though, and possibly the new cycra powerflow shrouds. The addition of the yoshimura rs4 exhaust and remapping with the gytr tuner it really makes the bike go fast. When I ride my bros stock 2010, it just feels much slower.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chas_M

Posted December 21, 2010 - 07:14 AM

I just finshed testing a K&N that they sent us for this bike .I had already modifyed the lovers for more air which is a good gain in power its self the K&N was worth 1.5 hp on the moded engine over the stock foam filter we usually see around .8 on the hondas when using a K&N

This is not surprising at all since it is well known that K&N filters breathe better than foam filters allowing better and more air flow into the engine. The problem is that in dusty conditions these filters also allow more dust and silt into the engine at the same time compared to foam filters.

• Jeepentj

Posted December 21, 2010 - 07:29 AM

I never even gave it a shot because I was convinced that it wouldn't work or be worth the time cause I wouldn't notice it lol. I'm going to give it a try next season though, and possibly the new cycra powerflow shrouds. The addition of the yoshimura rs4 exhaust and remapping with the gytr tuner it really makes the bike go fast. When I ride my bros stock 2010, it just feels much slower.

What mapping are you running with the RS4 Exhaust?

• tech24

Posted December 21, 2010 - 07:42 AM

This is not surprising at all since it is well known that K&N filters breathe better than foam filters allowing better and more air flow into the engine. The problem is that in dusty conditions these filters also allow more dust and silt into the engine at the same time compared to foam filters.

Thats what I said but no one believed me :excuseme:

• Davey762

Posted December 21, 2010 - 11:31 AM

What mapping are you running with the RS4 Exhaust?

It might not work for everyone but I find the bike to rev up much quicker and really snarl and pull much longer up on top end which is opposite to what mxa or others have said... maybe on the stock bike thats how it feels but with the yosh rs4 its totally different and the only map I pretty much use. Even on hardpack I like to run it. My friend has an 09 yz450 with an fmf pipe and my bike is so much faster up top.

Here is the map:

"Setting for improved response"
"This setting is suited for a linear engine response to throttle work when riding on dirt with good traction or on high-load sand courses. This setting helps to achieve faster engine revving up through the rpm range for owners who want to ride more aggressively."
Fuel Injection (FI)
-2 -4 -4
-2 -4 -4
-2 -2 -2
Ignition (IG)
+3 +2 +2
+3 +3 +2
+3 +3 +3

Member ASH49" Feedback on (2) Improved Response: seemed to be more snappy particularly low to mid but again lacked top end. I did not like this map at all...

The map is the same as the one recommended from yamaha when using the gytr pipe

GYTR or Stock Exhaust
Sharp throttle response; more overall power
Fuel
-2 -4 -4
-2 -4 -4
-2 -2 -2
Ignition
+3 +2 +2
+3 +3 +2
+3 +3 +3

• Mick17

Posted January 01, 2011 - 06:17 AM

I run an outerwear to pre filter the fine stuff (it's also water Water Repellent) You can use it with a foam filter too, you can go longer between filter cleanings.
http://www.outerwear...asp?prod=928956

• motomike137

Posted April 05, 2011 - 07:59 AM

No, they're not.

They're superior if your looking for performance
They're inferior if your looking for longevity between cleaning.

It's really how you look at it, kind of a half full half empty and it really just depends on what your looking for and willing to put up with in a filter.

And actually I believe that they filter smaller particles better... it is just that they will stop letting the engine breathe once they get very dirty. Foam filters will keep breathing but eventually let some dirt through. Also it seems in the case of the new YZ450 the filter might not get dirty as quick (don't have one so I don't know the definitive answer).

• grayracer513

Posted April 05, 2011 - 09:40 AM

And actually I believe that they filter smaller particles better... it is just that they will stop letting the engine breathe once they get very dirty. Foam filters will keep breathing but eventually let some dirt through.

K&N's do filter fine particles better IF they are correctly cleaned and thoroughly oiled AND they are kept from getting very dirty. Two otherwise identical filter setups in the same environment, one foam and one K&N style gauze fiber, the K&N will filter and flow air better at first, but about a quarter of the way through the service limit of the foam element, the filtration will have equalized by the K&N dropping off to the level of the foam. About half to two-thirds through the useful life of the foam filter, the K&N will have become maxed out and will have become restrictive to air flow AND started to not only allow dirt through unfiltered, it will have begun to release dirt previously trapped into the engine under heavy throttle/high RPM loads.

In either filter, it's the oil that does the filtering, especially of the finer particles. Once the oil absorbs its limit of dirt, only the size of the passageways through the element can limit the debris flow across the filter. The thing with foam is that it holds more oil in the first place, has a greater capacity for capturing dirt, is easier to thoroughly oil, and it's not as important that it be perfectly clean before oiling.

• Chas_M

Posted April 05, 2011 - 03:31 PM

K&N's do filter fine particles better IF they are correctly cleaned and thoroughly oiled AND they are kept from getting very dirty.

I and many others (including rigorous test data) disagree. Just take a prepped and oiled K&N filter and hold it up to a strong light source and note the easily visible air spaces in the filter; compare that to a foam filter. There is no way that K&N or anybody else can claim that these filters work better at filtering out fine dust than a foam filter.

• grayracer513

Posted April 05, 2011 - 04:08 PM

I don't care for them either, but that's what actual testing shows. The fact is that they aren't really very practical in a really dusty environment because of the short span between just serviced and too dirty to be useful, and they are kind of a PITA to oil correctly in any case.

Besides, the fact that you can't see straight through a foam filter is no indication that it will stop anything.

• jacobdewey

Posted April 06, 2011 - 03:07 PM

I trust k&n filters about as far as i can throw them... I don't care what anyone else says, i like the stock filter and i sleep better at night with it in my bike. :cheers:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.