10 450 k&n filter

60 replies to this topic
  • brentn

Posted November 26, 2010 - 02:23 PM

Thanks for the info ron!

• BBrown626

Posted November 26, 2010 - 02:37 PM

the holes in the top panels made a huge diference in power on the stock engine.

My testing yesterday revealed a significant boost by adding holes to the scoops. I have a couple extra air box covers and I am going to add a few holes and give it a shot.

• moto278

Posted November 26, 2010 - 09:51 PM

anyone wana post up some pics of the holes they are adding? curious to see how ppl are settin up their intakes. id like to do this but it can tend to get dusty around here sometimes

• brentn

Posted November 27, 2010 - 01:01 PM

If you pull the duct off, you can see where you want to add the holes, and it's right where it meets with the air box pretty much. This is closest to the filter.

You can make gills, as in 3 1/2"X1.5" oval slots running vertically, or you can do what Ron did and just drill 2 holes on each side.
Adding the screen like Ron did is a great idea, keeps big crap out like rocks, chunks of mud/dirt etc.
It will get loud though, it's not loud at all with the stock setup but once you expose the air filter you can really hear the engine through the intake. For constant high RPM riding you might want ear plugs, no joke.

• mx369

Posted November 27, 2010 - 05:53 PM

Pleated gauze type filters like the K&N also tend to underperform in very dusty environments, too. They reach their maximum capacity for retaining trapped dirt sooner than properly oiled foam does, and will start passing dirt sooner as a result.

Like I said, JUNK!

• brentn

Posted November 27, 2010 - 06:43 PM

Like I said, JUNK!

No, they're not.

They're superior if your looking for performance
They're inferior if your looking for longevity between cleaning.

It's really how you look at it, kind of a half full half empty and it really just depends on what your looking for and willing to put up with in a filter.

• BBrown626

Posted November 28, 2010 - 08:26 AM

anyone wana post up some pics of the holes they are adding? curious to see how ppl are settin up their intakes. id like to do this but it can tend to get dusty around here sometimes

Posted Image

• brentn

Posted November 28, 2010 - 12:58 PM

That is the best looking mod for the airbox I've seen yet. Looks great!

• mikewrf18

Posted November 28, 2010 - 01:07 PM

I get nervous about using any air filter that you can hold up to the light and see the tiny holes that are supposed to keep dust and debris out. That being said, I still have a K and N on my 250F, and it hasn't let me down yet. I am meticulous on cleaning it and oiling it though. I run Foam filters on my WR and other bikes . Foam Filters let me sleep a little better, and I most likely won't purchase another K and N for my type of riding conditions. I think of K and N as more of a street performance air filter. IMHO, just my 2 sense.

• moto278

Posted November 28, 2010 - 09:56 PM

well i ordered the new k&n off ebay for 58.50. just got one for now, if i like it ill oder up another mayb 2 more to change out. with adding more holes to the intake, does the filter get that much more dirty in dusty conditions? or do those of u with holes just plug them up somehow? i will probably some, and rivet in some screens as well

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • moto278

Posted November 29, 2010 - 10:26 AM

slightly off topic. but whats a good rivet gun to use for installing the screens?

• moto278

Posted December 09, 2010 - 03:23 PM

just thought id update the thread. dang! i drilled 8 1/2in holes in the box on each side, and you can definately hear the difference. i think it makes the whole motor sound deeper. with the k&n filter, i removed the screen and prefilter as per the instructions. and definately feel the difference in power, i havent been able to ride on a track but just around my backyard is noticable.

• brentn

Posted December 09, 2010 - 06:46 PM

I was pretty unconvinced when I removed my air ducts entirely a couple months ago when I went riding. It def sounded louder, extremely loud, and that could easily give the un-experienced the illusion that the bike is faster.

However, there's some really credible sources including a dyno that says the air box mod works and is proven... Just waiting for my exhaust to come in and if eddy has a map for the air box mod I'll join the band wagon soon enough :thumbsup:

• moto278

Posted December 09, 2010 - 07:06 PM

very well possible. i wana get the thing on the track! im hopin tomoro brings as good of weather as today was. im savin up to get the power commander to hopefully tune alot better. but im gona stik with the jay marmount map for now. mayb richen up the fuel a little bit?

• Ron Hamp

Posted December 10, 2010 - 08:10 AM

just for kicks try this. on the last throttle position use 0 -1 -5 and on the ignition try on the fist throttle position -2 -2 and 0 this was just a begining fopr our engine but seems to work well

• 95s10nj

Posted December 10, 2010 - 08:36 AM

Cycra racing released their new powerflow shrouds for the 10-11 450 and are claiming 40% more airflow. I wonder how the dyno results would compare with these vs drilling the holes.

• aedwards07

Posted December 10, 2010 - 09:47 PM

Ill let you know.As soon as I get my graphics installed on them and my motor back together I will dyno mine.

• delmas

Posted December 11, 2010 - 07:41 PM

the holes in the top panels made a huge diference in power on the stock engine.

I posted this before.I drilled many small holes in the top cover ,put in a dt-1 filter system with a drd pipe and it made a huge difference.I had to change the mapping .I went from the map listed as more power sharpe repsponce to the one for smooth long power.Before the filter mod I did not like the smooth power map but now it is awsome.I do believe the shrouds that give more air would be a plus as well.You can cleary see the filter is getting dirty all over
instead of just at the bottom.There is way more air getting in.

• steve_97060

Posted December 12, 2010 - 10:19 AM

I posted this before.I drilled many small holes in the top cover ,put in a dt-1 filter system with a drd pipe and it made a huge difference.I had to change the mapping .I went from the map listed as more power sharpe repsponce to the one for smooth long power.Before the filter mod I did not like the smooth power map but now it is awsome.I do believe the shrouds that give more air would be a plus as well.You can cleary see the filter is getting dirty all over
instead of just at the bottom.There is way more air getting in.

could you post up some pics of the holes you drilled?

• delmas

Posted December 12, 2010 - 05:07 PM

could you post up some pics of the holes you drilled?

Its the cover with two bolts you remove to service the air filter.
I drilled about 25 or 30 holes in it.You can see clearly where the filter is pulling my air.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.