10 450 k&n filter

60 replies to this topic
  • moto278

Posted November 22, 2010 - 10:38 AM

saw on k&n's website that they just released a filter for the 10/11. anyone else see this? i was pretty happy with the k&n on my 07 250f and considering the filter for my 450. just curious if it would be as good as the dt1 over the cage system.

• SEOINAGE

Posted November 22, 2010 - 10:47 AM

I think a k&n would make sense on this bike. I don't like the DT-1 design, I doubt it improves air flow, it causes the filter to come out more, bringing it closer to the cover reducing air flow. but then again I am basing this assumption off a small picture and a description.

• tech24

Posted November 22, 2010 - 12:52 PM

as usual k&n should add considerable flow in trade off with the inability to filter fine particles well but if you've had good luck in the past might be a good choice.

• mx369

Posted November 24, 2010 - 06:58 AM

Junk!

• grayracer513

Posted November 24, 2010 - 07:59 AM

Junk!

It's interesting in a small way to know what your opinion is, but it really isn't very useful unless you explain why you hold it, whether it be positive or negative.

• brentn

Posted November 24, 2010 - 10:57 AM

If you oil the filter properly, it works pretty good.

Problem is, the cleaning and oiling process is a real pain in the ass, and considering a bike filter gets pretty dirty pretty quick you're doing it all the time.
First you have to spray it down with the cleaner and let it sit, then you wash it in warm water. Then you let it dry completely and then you oil it pleat by pleat.
It's also rather hard to get the dirt out of the inside of each pleat crevice.

• grayracer513

Posted November 24, 2010 - 11:07 AM

Pleated gauze type filters like the K&N also tend to underperform in very dusty environments, too. They reach their maximum capacity for retaining trapped dirt sooner than properly oiled foam does, and will start passing dirt sooner as a result.

• tech24

Posted November 24, 2010 - 11:21 AM

Pleated gauze type filters like the K&N also tend to underperform in very dusty environments, too. They reach their maximum capacity for retaining trapped dirt sooner than properly oiled foam does, and will start passing dirt sooner as a result.

This has also always been my understanding and why I don't consider using one. However it seems like some of the desert guys prefer them since they seem to filter sand ok.

• brentn

Posted November 24, 2010 - 11:26 AM

Grey is saying that they work, you just need to keep them clean, really clean. That means cleanings all the time, especially in dusty conditions.

There are people on this forum that have run K&N's for years with no issues, most likely because they clean them every ride.

• Ron Hamp

Posted November 24, 2010 - 11:59 AM

I just finshed testing a K&N that they sent us for this bike .I had already modifyed the lovers for more air which is a good gain in power its self the K&N was worth 1.5 hp on the moded engine over the stock foam filter we usually see around .8 on the hondas when using a K&N

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brentn

Posted November 24, 2010 - 02:27 PM

How did you modify the air duct?
Drilling holes in the front, or do you have a better way?

• moto278

Posted November 24, 2010 - 11:10 PM

as i said i used it on my 07 and ya cleaning took a while. if i want to ride in the 'cleanin time' i throw in my uni for the time being. i also use it in my truck. ive also heard that the gauze breaks down after so long of cleaning so doesnt make them ideal for dirt bikes/atvs. i may think bout getting 2 tho to save time/ last longer

• brentn

Posted November 25, 2010 - 12:21 AM

Sorry I was referring to Ron

• Ron Hamp

Posted November 25, 2010 - 11:10 AM

How did you modify the air duct?
Drilling holes in the front, or do you have a better way?

I drilled 2 1.5" holes in each side directly across from the filter and riveted heavy black screen in behind the holes.i would like to see ufo plastics make plastic with gills they would look great and be a major hp adder.

• brentn

Posted November 25, 2010 - 11:57 AM

At what point did you guys see a difference with the gills?
After you changed the pipe and silencer, or was it after the porting and cam work?

• yzdaddy

Posted November 25, 2010 - 06:10 PM

i have k&n filters on bikes that are 37 years old, they still do the job. I have no grips

• grayracer513

Posted November 26, 2010 - 07:35 AM

Bear in mind the Ron is working with engines that have been heavily modified and are producing 20% more power than stock. Any gains received by such air box mods with a stock engine are apt to be very much smaller.

• Ron Hamp

Posted November 26, 2010 - 11:13 AM

the holes in the top panels made a huge diference in power on the stock engine.

• brentn

Posted November 26, 2010 - 12:24 PM

Were you guys using a power commander or the stock ECU?
Did you lean it out or leave it alone to see the power difference?

Thanks for your input, like I may have said there really isn't much info on this and you're providing answers!

• Ron Hamp

Posted November 26, 2010 - 01:38 PM

Were you guys using a power commander or the stock ECU?
Did you lean it out or leave it alone to see the power difference?

Thanks for your input, like I may have said there really isn't much info on this and you're providing answers!

just putting the holes in the top covers and adding renegade sx4+ fuel brought the stocker from 49.5 to just over 53 hp with no mapping the air fuel ratio was still quite rich @ the top the over rev was a lot better .

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.