Renaming a link

15 replies to this topic
  • Jim_Patterson

Posted July 11, 2003 - 06:01 AM

Quite a while back someone explained how to take a long address that linked to a picture or video, and rename it to a short topic name. Can anyone tell me how to do it. Thanks

• 125shifter

Posted July 11, 2003 - 06:04 AM

<font class="small">Code:<hr /><pre>Test...</pre><hr />

Shows as

Test...

Is that what you mean?

• MOmilkman

Posted July 11, 2003 - 06:05 AM

Jim,

When you reply to a post look down just below where you are typing. You will see a little grey shaded box with the word URL in it.

Click that and a box will pop up asking you to put the long address in. Click ok. Now type in what you want it to say. (the short word)

Then Submit!

• ddialogue

Posted July 11, 2003 - 06:09 AM

Instead of just dropping the URL into the text here (i.e. http://www.thumpertalk.com) click on the "URL" link under the "Instant UBB Code" section when creating a post. It will prompt you for the full URL and then it will prompt you for the short name.

• Jim_Patterson

Posted July 16, 2003 - 09:10 AM

Well I think what you have shown is what I need. I want to rename long URL's for use in emails. I tried what you suggested but I couldn't get it to work. I think possibly a command marker is missing. If you could type up my URL for the picture of my bike on my page and call it "bike" I would understand it completely. I know thats a lot of work but I didn't have any success when I did it. If I try properties on renamed URL's it doesn't show the mark up that makes it work.Thanks

• The_Blue_One

Posted July 16, 2003 - 09:19 AM

So you want this..... MY BIKE

• Jim_Patterson

Posted July 17, 2003 - 05:43 AM

Yes but I need to know how to get it to this level (bike) so I can use it in a email. I currently send pics and videos to guys in the group I ride with, but they all have these LOOONNNG link names, so I am trying to learn how to give them a short name that tells them what the link will show them.

• MOmilkman

Posted July 17, 2003 - 06:07 AM

What are you using for a e-mail client Jim?

Are you using Outlook Express to get your e-mail or ar you going to a web server to get it? (i.e. Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jim_Patterson

Posted July 18, 2003 - 01:05 AM

Thanks for the reply. I use outlook express to handle mail that is delivered to me by Comcast.net

• Fryboy

Posted July 18, 2003 - 03:15 AM

MOmilkman,

Your Sig is now as funny as your avatar :D :D Great sense of humor ! We gotta ride together :)

Fryboy

• MOmilkman

Posted July 18, 2003 - 07:39 AM

Jim,
Let me fool around in my Outlook a little bit and see if I can figure out how its done. I'll get back w/you.

MOmilkman,

Your Sig is now as funny as your avatar :D :) Great sense of humor ! We gotta ride together :D

Fryboy

Sounds good FryBoy! Meet you halfway! Say,.. somewhere in New Mexico tomorrow!? :D :D

• BrandonW

Posted July 18, 2003 - 08:06 AM

Say,.. somewhere in New Mexico tomorrow!

I wanna ride! Can we move it North a bit? How about Grand Junction, Colorado, noonish?

• MOmilkman

Posted July 18, 2003 - 08:13 AM

<html>

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">
<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
<title>New Page 1</title>
</head>

<body text="#FFFFFF">

<table border="5" width="70%" height="185" cellspacing="6" cellpadding="4" bgcolor="#0000FF">
<tr>
<td width="100%" height="179" bordercolor="#0000FF" bordercolorlight="#00FFFF" bordercolordark="#0000CC" bgcolor="#FFFF00">
<p align="center">Jim, I've been playing with my Outlook for about 20 minutes now and I cant see any way to do what you are trying to do. The only reason you can do this on TT is because it is configured in the UBB software (I am assuming)

If it is a available function for outlook I sure cant see how you do it.

Sorry.

<p align="center">I did however figure out how to do some cool HTML on
TT! :)
</td>
</tr>
</table>

</body>

</html>

• BrandonW

Posted July 18, 2003 - 11:06 AM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Say,.. somewhere in New Mexico tomorrow!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanna ride! Can we move it North a bit? How about Grand Junction, Colorado, noonish?

How about 1?

:)

:D

• MOmilkman

Posted July 18, 2003 - 06:11 PM

Oh crap!
I just now seen your post Brandon!

Im out the door now! See you tomorrow at 1!

Ive got 14 hrs. I think I can make it! :)

• Jim_Patterson

Posted July 24, 2003 - 01:38 AM

Thanks a bunch for trying!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.