Just bought 06' 450F: Very Converned over Engine Noise

23 replies to this topic
  • tech24

Posted November 23, 2010 - 10:41 AM

If the noise goes away then sell it :p

• MaxAZ

Posted November 24, 2010 - 11:50 AM

It doesn't sound that bad to me but I'd agree with Greyracer that the primary gears could cause some of it. I'd bought a Raptor last year from a friend who I knew was very picky about maintenance and when I first heard it I couldn't believe the engine noise it had. Turns out he'd had a shop repair the typical 2nd gear problem on those quads and when they put it back together they swapped nuts between the clutch and crank gear shafts. They had the same threads but one needed a 27mm socket and the other a 32mm. The larger nut needed to go on the crank to cover the gear properly and since they reversed them the nut backed out to the point you could turn the gear a couple of degrees on the shaft by hand. I swapped the nuts back, installed new lock washers and 1/2 moon key and it's as quiet as new now. So if you're concerned about the noise enough to remove the top end for inspection, you could also pull the clutch case cover off and check the tightness of that nut.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Polar_Bus

Posted November 25, 2010 - 04:41 AM

Some of you are commenting you hear unusual or concerning "top end" noises. I can tell you my bone stock well maintained '07 has a pronounced lower end knock while the engine is idling. This seems to be clutch/transmission related If I pull the clutch in, the noise is minimal. My bike has been like this since it came out of the crate. This issue has been discussed commonly over the past few years.
To try and isolate "top end" vs. "bottom end" noises you can use a long screwdriver hold the screwdriver handle to your ear, and touch the blade tip to different points around the engine. You will hear noises that get louder as you pinpoint internal mechanical energy motions. The best accurate tool is an automotive stethascope, but a long screwdriver works ok also.

• mike_dean

Posted November 25, 2010 - 05:07 AM

I put a Wiseco piston in my 426 many hours ago and it made more noise, the piston had more clearance than the stock one.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.