WR450F or Wr250x?

20 replies to this topic
  • Swarner409

Posted November 21, 2010 - 12:35 PM

Hello everyone. i have a bit of a dilemma. i currently have a wr250x and love the bike. but after riding an aprilia i think i am ready for something a little bit bigger. i have my eyes set on a slightly used 2008 wr450f in colorado all you need is a license plate and the thing is street legal. the only thing is i am a college kid and don't have a ton of money to be throwing around on bikes. but i could sell my bike and add 800 and get the 450. what do you guys think? would that be a good idea? then down the line get some sumo wheels for it?
thanks so much for any impute you have.
Thanks
Sam

• panaman

Posted November 21, 2010 - 12:41 PM

If you just looking for power and lots of wheelies than the 450 is a good choice.
If you plan on doing a lot of commuting on it... the 250X is a better choice.
The 450 is higher strung woods racing bike, not really ment for cruising down the road at 60mph for long periods of time.

• davegod

Posted November 21, 2010 - 12:48 PM

ditto on what panaman says. guys dualsport offroad bike but they don't last long if it becomes a daily rider. wasn't designed for that. hard on the transmission to run it at 60+ mph for extended periods. one reason i bought a drz400s is that it was built to be run down the highway.

• Swarner409

Posted November 21, 2010 - 12:50 PM

If you just looking for power and lots of wheelies than the 450 is a good choice.
If you plan on doing a lot of commuting on it... the 250X is a better choice.
The 450 is higher strung woods racing bike, not really ment for cruising down the road at 60mph for long periods of time.

what about if you change the gearing and such? also do you know about the range the 2 gallon tank has on the 450? it would mostly be a play maybe get the groceries bike. since i live in the dorms.

• davegod

Posted November 21, 2010 - 12:57 PM

again the wr450 is a race bike whereas the 250x is not. you can do it and you will most likely be happy with the power gain but i know my drz will go 10k at least before it needs a top end, but who knows with the wr450. titanium valves, frequent oil changes and a certain off road raggedyness made me opt for the zuke as a streetable dirtbike.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 21, 2010 - 01:38 PM

The WRF series is not that high strung. Certainly not a foo-foo bike like the X, but it can be used for dual sport no issues. It is not as comfortable, it is not a wide ratio transmission, and it is more abrupt and unforgiving on pavement, but it will work fine. I did my 450f for years with no issues.

• Swarner409

Posted November 22, 2010 - 12:07 AM

Alright i think im gettin the idea. as far as transmission and cruising at 60 would gearing effect that at all? is there a way i could beef up the trany of a 450? or is that even needed?
thanks again for all your impute

• SXP

Posted November 22, 2010 - 08:59 AM

is there a way i could beef up the trany of a 450? or is that even needed?

You could certainly help the tranny by adding a cush-drive to your rear hub. It's going to cost you, though. http://dsfeb.vtpjf.s...ode=RADWK-EQ-1R

• YamaLink

Posted November 24, 2010 - 07:00 AM

Maybe sell the X first then see what your money situation (since you mentioned being in college and funds are a bit tight) is and what the used dualsport bike market is like?

• beezer

Posted November 24, 2010 - 10:58 AM

I've put plenty of road miles on 2 WR450's without any problems.

Rode both of them like they weren't mine too.

Lotsa fun!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ivan Krashn

Posted November 25, 2010 - 11:41 AM

I see you live in Washington. If you can plate a WR450F in WA please let me know how you did it. Don't believe you will be able to do so. I certainly wouldn't call my WR high strung.

• Swarner409

Posted November 25, 2010 - 10:25 PM

I see you live in Washington. If you can plate a WR450F in WA please let me know how you did it. Don't believe you will be able to do so. I certainly wouldn't call my WR high strung.

I live in washington but im going to school in Colorado. so i was just going to get one over there and have it all plated and such then bring it back when i come back for summers and such.

• Ivan Krashn

Posted November 26, 2010 - 08:25 AM

Oh, I see! Just didn't want you to buy a 450F with plans of licensing in WA. The state is really cracking down on licensing off road machines. If the vin plate or title says off road only as the WR-F's do no amount of added street equipment will get you a plate in WA.

• Shred Jesse

Posted November 26, 2010 - 09:30 AM

The WRF series is not that high strung... it is not a wide ratio transmission...

Doesn't the WR in our bikes name mean "WIDE RATIO"???

• Shred Jesse

Posted November 26, 2010 - 12:12 PM

The WR400 I bought came from Washington, and is currently washington plated (although I lost the plate somewhere in the tillamook forest riding like a bat out of hell!).

It can be done, but Washington is getting kind of hip to offroad vehicles being played as street legal. It's mostly related to the KTM's having titles that don't state "OFF ROAD ONLY", allowing them to slip through Washington DMV's notice. The wrongly plated KTM's though are being revoked like hot cakes right now.

I'm going to transfer my bikes title to Oregon state. I never intend to use it on the street (I got a sport bike for destroying roads) but to some goof balls it increases the value, so why not!

• Ivan Krashn

Posted November 26, 2010 - 01:57 PM

Prior to '06 it was possible to plate a WR in WA. Your WR400 is probably a 2000 or so. I bought my 450 new in 06 and there was no way in hell to plate it then. They are recalling "improperly" issued plates now and I don't think it's limited to KTM.

• MaxPower

Posted November 27, 2010 - 02:30 PM

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]you can also install a clutch basket from the quad.
The gear has damper springs on the back that absorb some road shock
If you have a aluminum frame bike you have to change the primary gear also as they are differnet
I have an extra if you need it[/COLOR]

• JStromgren

Posted November 28, 2010 - 09:36 PM

I would take the 250x as a everyday commuter over the 450 which is what I have in a street legal form here in Canada...but if its a woods bike you want to rip out of your garage on now and again...you know what you have to do. Starting the 450 is a process on cold mornings and can always give your headaches if one of the usual things are happening (see jetting forums, etc)...the 250x will fire up no probs every time I bet.

• projected

Posted November 29, 2010 - 07:54 AM

Doesn't the WR in our bikes name mean "WIDE RATIO"???

It could still use a 6th gear. 5th is not that tall.

• Swarner409

Posted November 29, 2010 - 10:06 AM

I would take the 250x as a everyday commuter over the 450 which is what I have in a street legal form here in Canada...but if its a woods bike you want to rip out of your garage on now and again...you know what you have to do. Starting the 450 is a process on cold mornings and can always give your headaches if one of the usual things are happening (see jetting forums, etc)...the 250x will fire up no probs every time I bet.

Your right. i started my 250X in the 19 degree weather last week first time. gotta love that fuel injection.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.