OT: How to determine a trailer's GVWR?

3 replies to this topic
  • kOOk

Posted July 11, 2003 - 12:53 AM

Sorry to post here, but there does not seem to be a "general" forum to post this kind of information.

Looking at a used open trailer, converted from a boat trailer. 5.5'x14' with metal rails - looks pretty sharp, from the pics I have seen. Title and trailer have no GVWR on them. The guy says he's carried 4 street bikes with it............. but it's only got a 1 7/8" coupler. Can I measure the axle tube O.D. and determine the axle load rating from that? Tires are rated for a total of 3000#, but that doesn't mean the trailer is.

I really want a 3000# GVWR trailer, not a 2000#. The deal is good, but the coupler size has me wondering what this trailer is really rated for. :)

I can not easily see the trailer (except for pics), as it is 3 hours south of me. The seller will be headed up my way on Saturday, so I need to act fast.

Advice appreciated.

thanks,
Mark

• Hick

Posted July 11, 2003 - 10:11 AM

Ignore the ball size, three ton trailers with an 1-7/8" ball are common.

The only way to determine the axle rating for sure is to crawl under there and look, although all manufactured trailers should have a GVWR ID plate riveted somewhere.

You could also count the springs, unless it has torsion axles, but you need a point of reference for this to do any good.

OTOH I have no experience with such a small trailer, it could be that they aren't required to plate the weight spec. and it may not even say on the axle.

Sorry, that is the best I can offer. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toyota_mdt_tech

Posted July 11, 2003 - 07:06 PM

Mark, I'd guess its a 1000# or maybe 1500# at the most. Especially with the 7/8" ball, these are used for the under 3000 trailers. Hey, take a look at http://www.utilitytrailerkit.com/ you may be able ti make a guess with this info or upgrade it to meet your specs witht he hardware these guys have.

• Hick

Posted July 12, 2003 - 12:02 PM

Especially with the 7/8" ball, these are used for the under 3000 trailers.

Not sure why I said three tons, I meant 3K lbs. Sorry.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.