Swingarm nut removal

9 replies to this topic
  • AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted July 11, 2003 - 12:39 AM

Hi all,
I am interested in removing the swingarm so that I can grease the little piggy. The Honda book calls out 2 special socket wrenches to remove the locknuts inside the frame on the swing arm bolt. I went to the Honda squealer dealer and they are asking $60 for one of them and $38 for the other - big ouch! The pig pen has an article about making your own, but as I am not interested in spending an afternoon doing that. Anybody have the tools to borrow, rent, or buy cheap? Any help would be appreciated by me and my unlubricated pig.

• Baja Rudy

Posted July 11, 2003 - 08:45 AM

if all you need to do is to grease the swing arm bolt (long one) you do not need the special tools. the special tools are for removing the "bushing/adjuster" for the bolt. the bolt is easily removed without any special tools. If you need a copy of the shop manual I can fax them to you. this way you can torque the bolts correctly.

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted July 11, 2003 - 09:57 AM

Rudy,

Can you get to the needle bearings without removing the adjuster nut to be able to grease them as well? Thanks for the reply. :)

• Baja Rudy

Posted July 14, 2003 - 08:32 AM

yes, you can grease everything without any problems... depending on the condition and milage of your bike you may need to wash the bearing with gas or solvent to remove all the old grease... use your old tooth brush to clean them and then make sure to dry (compressed air) before greasing all the bearings back. if you are greasing the linkage take the extra step and make sure to grease to upper shock bolt too... also grease your steering steam bearing while you have the tools out. these bearings come almost dry from the factory :)

• XR650Rrider

Posted July 14, 2003 - 02:21 PM

Read the FAQ, it should explain it all.

http://www.wtvl.net/n1rzc/preload/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted July 15, 2003 - 01:49 AM

I tore everything apart this past weekend and greased it all up. My bike has 3600 miles on it and there were 2 things that were very noticable. The first one was the the swing arm bolt was very corroded as if water had gotten in there, dried out and things began to oxidize. A little emery cloth cleaned it up. I then took a long screw driver with a load of Mobile 1 synthetic grease and smeared the inside of the swingarm and then put evrything back together. The other thing that was noticeable was wear marks on the right side of the swing arm linkage as described in The Pig Pen article - these wear marks were visible around 2 of 3 holes on the swingarm knuckle. The Pig Pen did not offer a solution but a thin teflon washer may be the answer if it would last. Anybody come up with a better solution? :)

• uszler

Posted January 22, 2006 - 03:03 PM

How easy is the pivot bolt to remove once the nut and washer are removed? Does it need to be pressed out? I have read the article from the "pig pen" and the service manual and it seems the bolt just slides out. Mine does not seem to move. I just thought I would ask prior to making a bigger job then it needs to be for me. :thumbsup:

• HawkGT

Posted January 22, 2006 - 04:41 PM

[snip]...The other thing that was noticeable was wear marks on the right side of the swing arm linkage as described in The Pig Pen article - these wear marks were visible around 2 of 3 holes on the swingarm knuckle. The Pig Pen did not offer a solution but a thin teflon washer may be the answer if it would last. Anybody come up with a better solution? :thumbsup:

I've got the same marks and would also like to know the solution.

• NYKTM

Posted January 22, 2006 - 04:46 PM

to remove the bolt get a brass drift punch, you can also leave the nut threaded on mostly and whack it once to get things started.

Always try to use brass to hammer with.

• uszler

Posted January 22, 2006 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.