Moving forks on 09yz450

15 replies to this topic
  • blakers213

Posted November 19, 2010 - 01:27 PM

Everyone suggest moving forks 5mm on 09 yz450f. Just to clarify am I moving the fork tubes up in the clamps or moving the fork tubes down in the clamps. Also any tips on tighting the triple clamps, I know not to over tighten them but top first or bottom first to prevent any twisting.

• dgcars

Posted November 19, 2010 - 01:29 PM

What are you trying to achieve by moving the forks....

• blakers213

Posted November 19, 2010 - 01:34 PM

It will make the front end not wash out as much and be more planted.

• dgcars

Posted November 19, 2010 - 01:57 PM

Move the tubes up thru' the clamps. Just torque all evenly as per the manual.

• myoung

Posted November 19, 2010 - 02:19 PM

There's a line at the top of the fork tube that is the guide for 5mm's up. You set the fork tube with the line at the top of the top clamp. This setting is for tighter turning and is less stable on high speed straight line runs. It's not a 'fix all', but when you raise the tubes and get your sag set right, it helps.

To 'set' the forks, or reset if you crashed and they twisted, tighten the lower clamp first with the top clamp loose at the tubes and the head tube. Then tighten the rest.

• blakers213

Posted November 19, 2010 - 02:54 PM

Still confused. dgcars said move fork tubes up through clamps. Myoung said there is a line at the top of the fork tubes that the top clamp should be even with, in order to do that I would have to slide the fork tubes down.

• grayracer513

Posted November 19, 2010 - 03:00 PM

What MYoung was trying to say is that there is a line NEAR the top of the fork tube that will show when you have raised them 5mm.

• dgcars

Posted November 19, 2010 - 03:05 PM

Post a pic of your fork/top clamp. They have been moved already...?:p

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • myoung

Posted November 19, 2010 - 03:07 PM

Still confused. dgcars said move fork tubes up through clamps. Myoung said there is a line at the top of the fork tubes that the top clamp should be even with, in order to do that I would have to slide the fork tubes down.

Are you saying your tubes have been raised higher than the line?

• dgcars

Posted November 19, 2010 - 03:11 PM

Thats what i thought...hence post a pic...bars should have got in the way though...:p

• myoung

Posted November 19, 2010 - 03:20 PM

OK, so this is three different settings to help explain.

This is my '09 YZ450 with the forks raised to the 5mm line.

Posted Image

This is my '91 KX250 with the fork tubes set at zero. You don't go any lower than zero.

Posted Image

This is my Dad's DRZ400 that has been lowered. Not sure what the setting is, it's as high as it could go with the handlebars where they are. You can see the line on the tube. This is the max raised setting suggested by the manufacturer. The risk of raising higher is hitting the tire on the fender bolts under full compression.

Posted Image

• blakers213

Posted November 19, 2010 - 03:20 PM

Forks have not been moved yet I bought it new. I think I understand now from what Grayracer said the line is under the top clamp from the factory. If I move the fork tubes up I will see the line.

• dgcars

Posted November 19, 2010 - 03:31 PM

Yeah.....:p

• blakers213

Posted November 19, 2010 - 03:46 PM

Just moved them. The top clamp was at the line so I could not see the line. Now after I moved them I am 5mm below the line with the top clamp. This adds like 10hp right.:p

• myoung

Posted November 19, 2010 - 03:57 PM

So, you raised the tubes to 10mm's?

The top edge of the tube is zero, the line is 5mm, 5mm below the line would be 10mm.

It's an extra 15hp if you use an aftermarket power band. :p

• dgcars

Posted November 19, 2010 - 04:08 PM

Degrees....mm....hp.....it's all the same.....:p

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.