10 yz450f

9 replies to this topic
  • moto278

Posted November 19, 2010 - 12:09 PM

its winter time up here and that means overhaul time. im gona go with a new clutch in my 10 450 and 07 250f. for the clutch plate kits i was thinking of going with oem, gytr or barnett. those of you who have used any of these what do you like best for performance/ lasts longest? also thinking about throwing in a new basket too. is it worth it to just replace the basket? if it does whats best? id like to go with hinson but dont know if the steel or aluminum basket is better for peformance?

• grayracer513

Posted November 19, 2010 - 01:04 PM

Hinson baskets are my favorite. They are considerably harder and more durable than OEM. Steel is unnecessary and too heavy.

I find OEM plates to be as good as any.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 19, 2010 - 05:25 PM

Cant believe your basket is all ready gone,thats if you are talking about replacing the one in the 10 450.

I checked the plates,springs and basket in my 10 450 a few days ago and the basket was still like new (no notching or even indentions) Plates were still with in the specs and springs were still good.

However I may replace the plates and springs come april or may depending how much I get to ride this winter. Looks like another good weekend here for sunday at the track (highs in the 60's).

Let us know what plates and basket ya go with.

• moto278

Posted November 20, 2010 - 10:00 AM

it should be fine not that ive looked at it. just looking for some better clutch action and really not sure what the best products are for that.

• moto278

Posted November 20, 2010 - 11:56 AM

also for my 450, ive thought about gettin a full revalve nd respring done but am gona just go with doing springs myself. im 205lbs with gear and all. what springs/oil should i go with? also what are the fork pressure springs and high speed compression adjustment springs? are these springs neccessary for proper set up? thanks guys

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brentn

Posted November 20, 2010 - 01:20 PM

Hinson baskets are my favorite. They are considerably harder and more durable than OEM. Steel is unnecessary and too heavy.

I find OEM plates to be as good as any.

I was on the same note until I saw all of the grooved hinsons in the two stroke forum.. They also offer a crappy warranty if I do recall.
Apparently the wiseco clutch kits have a 3 year warranty for grooving and are build better...
I don't have experience in either but this is just what's been talked about in the other forum.
If I were to go with one, I would look at the wiseco.

What about garnett? I've seen a few in mag ads, haven't really heard anything about them though.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 20, 2010 - 01:33 PM

also for my 450, ive thought about gettin a full revalve nd respring done but am gona just go with doing springs myself. im 205lbs with gear and all. what springs/oil should i go with? also what are the fork pressure springs and high speed compression adjustment springs? are these springs neccessary for proper set up? thanks guys

I weigh 195lbs in all my gear and I didnt have to get bigger springs. Although I did have a kit put in my forks and shock by my local tuner.

The kit he ordered was from Dave Johnson here on TT. My local tuner knows D.Johnson and uses Smart Performance stuff.

I had the latest equipment put in. The Del-Taco with the clover and EPNP (I cant remember all of it) but it is all listed in the suspension forum and greyracer would know exactly what it is.

I know the fluid in my forks and shock is Daves special fluid which is the V.2 stuff which is suppose to be some high tech fluid which eliminates vibration and does a lot of other stuff.

I know this kit made a huge difference in the handeling of the bike. I'm glad I had it done.

• SEOINAGE

Posted November 20, 2010 - 03:35 PM

I think I can handle my current springs at 220 lbs without gear. But the rear shock is cutting it close. I do need some .5 springs for the front badly.

Marzochii springs aren't compatible with these bikes are they? I'm guessing it would have to match height and diameter. I have 2 sets of .5 marzochii springs, and some.48, .45 and .4 and .38, new stuff I snagged for free. and I have an ohlins rear spring but dunno what it goes to.

• gfmoto

Posted November 20, 2010 - 04:59 PM

I weigh 195lbs in all my gear and I didnt have to get bigger springs. Although I did have a kit put in my forks and shock by my local tuner.

The kit he ordered was from Dave Johnson here on TT. My local tuner knows D.Johnson and uses Smart Performance stuff.

I had the latest equipment put in. The Del-Taco with the clover and EPNP (I cant remember all of it) but it is all listed in the suspension forum and greyracer would know exactly what it is.

I know the fluid in my forks and shock is Daves special fluid which is the V.2 stuff which is suppose to be some high tech fluid which eliminates vibration and does a lot of other stuff.

I know this kit made a huge difference in the handeling of the bike. I'm glad I had it done.

+1 for dave's stuff I had him do my forks and they are way better!! His stuff really works.

• grayracer513

Posted November 21, 2010 - 04:05 PM

I run the full kit from SMART Performance also, and it is extraordinary, no doubt. And, the right springs for your weight are key to making the valving work right, whether it's Dave Johnson's Dell Taco or stock. But if you're 205 in your gear, then you're around 185 in streets, so you're good with the stock rates. Some tuners will recommend a slightly softer rate for the fronts (stock is .48 kg/mm, MX-Tech calls for .46)

The pressure springs in the front fork and the HS Comp spring in the shock are something that should be changed only in combination with a comprehensive revalve.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.