polishing exhaust?

15 replies to this topic
  • tech24

Posted November 19, 2010 - 06:50 AM

I'm repacking my silencer this weekend and thought it would be a good time to polish up the pipes a little. Was wondering what you guys use to clean up the stainless. Its not in bad shape just turning a little brown.

• KJ790

Posted November 19, 2010 - 06:56 AM

If it's really bad (baked on dirt and grime) I use an SOS pad to get it clean, then some fine sand paper to get it silver, then some steel wool to get a good shine to it. This gives it a nice "like new" look, but if you want you can keep going finer with steel wool and then metal polish until it really shines, but it's a lot of work to go that far.

• tech24

Posted November 19, 2010 - 06:59 AM

that does sound like some work, mine isn't bad at all I usually wipe it down with wd-40 every wash but its just a little brown. Might try some steerl wool and some mothers + 12pk + loud music + pizza + elbow grease!

• woods-rider

Posted November 19, 2010 - 07:09 AM

Might try some steerl wool and some mothers + 12pk + loud music + pizza + elbow grease!

Sounds like a deadly combination for baked on dirt.:p

• tech24

Posted November 19, 2010 - 07:23 AM

lol it will not survive

• dgcars

Posted November 19, 2010 - 08:35 AM

What topping do you order on the pizza for the best shine? :p

• tech24

Posted November 19, 2010 - 08:45 AM

What topping do you order on the pizza for the best shine? :p

I've found so far that itialian sausage the sliced not the balls does the best job.

• 95s10nj

Posted November 19, 2010 - 09:19 AM

I usually scrub mine with grey(fine) scuff pad with wd-40. They can be bought at an autobody supply place. I use the same scuff pad to clean the frame up as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaHawg001

Posted November 19, 2010 - 09:25 AM

Brasso.. Will make stainless shine!

http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/B000VP7IYA

• tech24

Posted November 19, 2010 - 09:48 AM

I usually scrub mine with grey(fine) scuff pad with wd-40. They can be bought at an autobody supply place. I use the same scuff pad to clean the frame up as well.

I might have those somewhere here got some green ones I know that I think lowes has them too next to the green ones.

Brasso.. Will make stainless shine!

http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/B000VP7IYA

Might give that stuff a try once my mothers runs out, the price sure is good.

• brentn

Posted November 19, 2010 - 11:26 AM

that does sound like some work, mine isn't bad at all I usually wipe it down with wd-40 every wash but its just a little brown. Might try some steerl wool and some mothers + 12pk + loud music + pizza + elbow grease!

Yea!!! haha, sounds like a plan woohoo!

• Herdie

Posted November 19, 2010 - 09:34 PM

i use (never dull) its like soft steel wool with the polish soaked in already, n for the frame n reall dirty spots i use the sandin pads i had left over from a headlight cleanin kit, it has a drill attachment to save them elbows, but always finish with a nice soft n clean sham!!

• tech24

Posted November 22, 2010 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. I scrubbed with a scotch bite and wd-40 then ended up wet sanding it with 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper and then polishing it with mothers. Some off it shined like chrome. I didn't get all the discoloration out but overall turned out better than expected and looks pretty nice (for now). I will try some other stuff you guys mentioned next time but I had this stuff on hand already.

Edited by tech24, November 22, 2010 - 12:59 PM.

• brentn

Posted November 22, 2010 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I scrubbed with a scotch bite and wd-40 then ended up wet sanding it with 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper and then polishing it with mothers. Some off it shined like chrome. I didn't get all the discoloration out but overall turned out better than expected and looks pretty nice (for now). I will try some other stuff you guys mentioned next time but I had this stuff on hand already.

Can you post a picture?

• Old_604

Posted November 22, 2010 - 02:12 PM

How long does the shine last for you guys?

I'm just curious as to how much effort goes in terms of rides/washes.

• tech24

Posted November 22, 2010 - 02:23 PM

Can you post a picture?

Crap I knew this question was coming. I should've done a before and after which I thought of right after I bolted it back on. Not sure if I can get a good pic with it on the bike. If I remember my camera I'll try this weekend.

How long does the shine last for you guys?

I'm just curious as to how much effort goes in terms of rides/washes.

I don't know but I'm gonna assume not very long but I figure if I do it every repack then it won't get totally nasty over time.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.