Racer X comments on the 450

36 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted November 19, 2010 - 06:56 PM

What about the 4 cylinder two-strokes??

For some reason, I don't recall there being a 4 cylinder production two-stroke street bike.

• SEOINAGE

Posted November 19, 2010 - 07:05 PM

I can only hear the intake at idle without my helmet on but other than that nothing. Even at idle the slight noise dosen't bug me or seem out of place, I agree that the intake noise comments seem wrong.

Yep the helmet blocks the majority of it.

• carver

Posted November 19, 2010 - 07:07 PM

For some reason, I don't recall there being a 4 cylinder production two-stroke street bike.

Yamaha RZ500 and Suzuki RG500.

Sorry for the thread drift, but my RZ as proof, California registered

Posted Image

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted November 19, 2010 - 07:09 PM

Well there you are. Wasn't paying much attention around that period.

• carver

Posted November 19, 2010 - 07:18 PM

You're right though in that there was a time guys would be laughed at for an intake noise comment.
Well, basically like we're laughing, but before it would be self-insulting to mention it to a fellow racer.
I don't think anyone mentioned it when testing a YZ450F with a pipe either.

Edited by carver, November 19, 2010 - 07:43 PM.

• gfmoto

Posted November 19, 2010 - 08:57 PM

Yamaha RZ500 and Suzuki RG500.

Sorry for the thread drift, but my RZ as proof, California registered

Posted Image

Posted Image

think a fellow motohead could take that thing for a quick ride. I've would really like to know what a big two stroke street bike is like, after owning a 1999 r1(carb bikes really have a hit compared to a fI bike) how much more would a two stroke street bike be like???:p

• carver

Posted November 19, 2010 - 09:26 PM

Thanks. With due respect, don't want to hijack this 450F thread. But quickly,
it is fast for its time (1985). But compared to my Duc 1198 Superbike, it gets destroyed, and it should. (180hp v. 90hp)
It feels faster than it is because of the MX like hit and two stroke wail to 10+K (sounds like 20K)
But after getting back on the 1198, you just have to laugh at how much faster it is and how far bikes have come.
Sorry for the diversion OP, imho all the new MX 4T's are very close and a bigger difference is had with tuning and setup vs brand imho.

• BBrown626

Posted November 20, 2010 - 12:10 AM

I ride MX on tracks and I ride fairly hard. The intake noise is considerably loud at times. It also varies quite a bit with the air filter. The stock filter is not too bad. The DT's are fairly loud, but not nearly as loud as the UNI or GYTR. When you are on the gas and leaning forward the noise is pretty loud. All that said, I don't mind it at all. Loud is relative. It is louder in comparison to what we are used to, but how many people ride their bike with there head next to their seat?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mike_dean

Posted November 20, 2010 - 04:53 AM

They must be right, when I was at the Indy Mile a couple years ago the Harleys didn't make any intake noise, but that TZ750 that Kenny Roberts rode sure did, I guess its just a Yamaha problem. lol:lol:

• kawboy388

Posted November 21, 2010 - 01:01 PM

My wonder : what have Suzuki changed on the -11 450 compared to -1" ?
I got thought it was almost unchanged ?

The '10 was so late to the U.S., that it wasn't included in any of the shootouts last year. The '10 actually has more power than the '11, in case you were wondering.

• ChillyKTM

Posted November 21, 2010 - 01:59 PM

I am more interested in what was the common complaint about the shifting ?? any of you owners have issues with shifting difficulties ?? I am about to order an 11 so being an intermediate rider im looking for a ride thats smoother than my 08 which i liked alot ........

• steve_97060

Posted November 21, 2010 - 02:36 PM

I haven't had any issues with shifting at all.

• moto278

Posted November 21, 2010 - 02:40 PM

no problems shifting here either.

• brentn

Posted November 21, 2010 - 03:19 PM

Shifting for me is great on this bike, there is pretty much no slop in the shfiter making shifts quicker with less travel on the lever IMO.

I couldn't find nuetral for a long while however, that was my only complaint.

• sean3239

Posted November 21, 2010 - 07:21 PM

I am more interested in what was the common complaint about the shifting ?? any of you owners have issues with shifting difficulties ?? I am about to order an 11 so being an intermediate rider im looking for a ride thats smoother than my 08 which i liked alot ........

The funny thing is for me is that I have no issues with shifting on this bike, but I did on my 08. I think I have hit a false neutral maybe 3 times in about 30 hours. Relatively speaking, I hit a false neutral on the 08 at least once a ride (MX). Maybe its just the ergos suit me better but shifting problems..no

• Troutman

Posted November 21, 2010 - 09:08 PM

I had a little trouble finding neutral as well at first. I found out that you really have to have the clutch pulled all the way in and then it will go right in.

• SEOINAGE

Posted November 21, 2010 - 09:45 PM

yep neutral is a little hard to find but I like it. Come to the top of a hill, accidentally hitting neutral shifting into first and you have 5 feet to slowly roll over can cause major problems. Rather than slip the clutch in second to try to avoid bogging, I have the confidence to put it in first and not stop. My old bike I never ever ever used first gear. maybe on a really slow trail.

I find that to hit neutral from first you have to move the shifter more than you would expect. once you know where it is, its easy to hit it every time.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.