Racer X comments on the 450

36 replies to this topic
  • YamaLink

Posted November 18, 2010 - 05:30 PM

In case this hasn't been posted: http://www.racerxonl...0-shootout.aspx

• brentn

Posted November 18, 2010 - 11:13 PM

Every review I read they bitch about the intake sound and how "distracting" it is. It almost seems like they just say it, because other people have said it in the first reviews. Kinda bugs me cause I really really didn't notice it on my bike, I really have no idea what the hell they are talking about????
I know they're pro riders but still, is it really that loud??? No it's not!

• pudracer

Posted November 19, 2010 - 12:34 AM

I agree brentn, i often swap my '10 with my mates '09 when we are out and i really don't notice the intake noise between the 2 and neither does he...

• cambo au

Posted November 19, 2010 - 12:44 AM

the noise is definatly there but i dont think its something you have to get use to its just there makes no difference to me i love my 10

• HRC

Posted November 19, 2010 - 01:16 AM

I also wonder about that intake noise everyboy is talking about.

I haven´t ridden my -11 yet ( Not even started it in fact) But I remember when I rode a -10 this past summer I did not hear anything special.

So I don´t really agree on all this "intake noise" talk ?:p

• Davey762

Posted November 19, 2010 - 01:33 AM

I think the intake noise is cool... no complaints here.

• SEOINAGE

Posted November 19, 2010 - 05:56 AM

Seriously. I think the intake noise is cool as well. Makes it feel even more like you are driving a beast. I recognize it because on my street bike I took off the snorkle to the air box and got a lot more intake noise, and it is located under the tank as well. Air filters under the tank or up front is the way of the future!!!

• grayracer513

Posted November 19, 2010 - 07:32 AM

Sucks when you're a mag writer and there's nothing to complain about, huh?

Back when there were two-stroke 2 and 3 cylinder road bikes, THAT was when there was intake noise. :p

• eazrider

Posted November 19, 2010 - 07:42 AM

These are the same guys that will put a 400$ slip-on and talk about how much better the power delivery is, hardly mentioning their ears hurt after riding the thing....

Posted November 19, 2010 - 07:43 AM

Even though one of the comments said to the effect all the bikes are close and could win on any given day I can't help but notice all but one picked the suzuki. I say congrats, they havn't won a shoot out in years.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HRC

Posted November 19, 2010 - 08:00 AM

Even though one of the comments said to the effect all the bikes are close and could win on any given day I can't help but notice all but one picked the suzuki. I say congrats, they havn't won a shoot out in years.

My wonder : what have Suzuki changed on the -11 450 compared to -1" ?
I got thought it was almost unchanged ?

• tech24

Posted November 19, 2010 - 08:01 AM

Intake noise? Mine must be broke ...... how can I make mine loud too? How does this effect a bikes lap times? Will mine be slower if its louder?

• 95s10nj

Posted November 19, 2010 - 09:14 AM

I'm another 2010 owner that doesn't even notice the noise...:p

• moto278

Posted November 19, 2010 - 09:36 AM

intake noise? nope not here. only one person has mentioned anything negative on my bike and that was that the engine noise was louder than normal. he thought it sounded like somethin was up with the crank. no problems tho

Posted November 19, 2010 - 10:59 AM

Funny thing last year the KTM 450 won one of the shootouts and was the only manufacturer that didn't go FI?????.

• myoung

Posted November 19, 2010 - 04:10 PM

I read something somewhere that explained that quite well.

Sometimes, some brands make changes that end up making the bike worse while other brands make no changes to a bike that didn't do well the previous year and it opens the door for another brand to wheel out a BNG that takes the win with last years bike.

• steve_97060

Posted November 19, 2010 - 05:14 PM

I'm another 2010 owner that doesn't even notice the noise...:p

same here, I thought I was missing something because I could never hear this supposed loud intake noise.. at least I know I am not the only one now...

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 19, 2010 - 05:45 PM

Mine has a bark to it but it isnt loud by no means. Guess they are not use to the air box being up front and they are just hearing an unusal sound that they dont hear from up under the seat.

• Troutman

Posted November 19, 2010 - 06:21 PM

I can only hear the intake at idle without my helmet on but other than that nothing. Even at idle the slight noise dosen't bug me or seem out of place, I agree that the intake noise comments seem wrong.

• carver

Posted November 19, 2010 - 06:48 PM

Back when there were two-stroke 2 and 3 cylinder road bikes, THAT was when there was intake noise. :p

What about the 4 cylinder two-strokes??
Gives new meaning to the sound, "whooooaaaaaaaaazzzziiiiiiiiinnnggg"
The 450F is quiet.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.