GYTR Flywheel Question

8 replies to this topic
  • Mr. Neutron

Posted November 18, 2010 - 04:06 PM

Sorry If I'm not taking the time to think this through, and if I'm asking a kinda obvious question, but.....

I just got my GYTR Off-Road heavy Flywheel today from my local Yamaha shop ($78, p/n GYT-2S297-50-50), and the puller I need from the TT store here. :thumbsup:

Here's where my stupidity kicks in..... I will need to drain my oil before doing this, correct??? The instructions that came with the flywheel (along with a new ign. cover gasket, for Heaven's sake.... :mad: ) make no mention of draining the oil before taking off the ignition cover, and I didn't see anything about it when I looked through my manual, either..... :p

Jimmie

Edited by Diesel Goober, November 18, 2010 - 04:46 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted November 18, 2010 - 04:16 PM

No. If you run the engine for about 40 seconds before doing the job, or lay it on its side, very little oil will be lost.

Might want to review this, too:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=568177

• brentn

Posted November 18, 2010 - 04:25 PM

Grey, how long does it stay out of the flywheel area?

I've had times where I start my bike and the oil is in the sight glass (not the flywheel area) for over an hour, other times 10 minutes...
With that in mind, if I didn't get the job done in 10 minutes would the oil start coming back to the flywheel area?

• Mr. Neutron

Posted November 18, 2010 - 04:50 PM

No. If you run the engine for about 40 seconds before doing the job, or lay it on its side, very little oil will be lost.

Might want to review this, too:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=568177

Cool!!! :thumbsup: Thank you, Grayracer! That's a good, helpful & relevant link to that thread, too. That's the same puller I just bought from the TT store, and the advice about it is appreciated! :p

Jimmie

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 18, 2010 - 05:29 PM

With that in mind, if I didn't get the job done in 10 minutes would the oil start coming back to the flywheel area?

It would, but probably not fast enough to rise to a level high enough to become a problem. I did my cam chain change with the bike standing up with virtually no oil loss.

• Mr. Neutron

Posted November 18, 2010 - 06:46 PM

Okay..... Having never owned a bike with a dry sump motor, I'm having a tough time getting my head around how this bike oils..... And I'll ask yet another, sorta relevant, but dumb question.....

Doesn't the oil go into the sump (not the reservoir) when the engine isn't running? I rhought tthat without a pump working, whatever oil is in the top end, on the cam chain, on the crank, in the tranny, & etc., just simply drains to wherever gravity takes it? :p :thumbsup: Wait..... Does running the engine for 40 secs., like Grayracer said, put most of the oil back into reservoir????

Jimmie

Added in EDIT: Okay, I found some of the "Sump" threads that Gray has links to up in the "pinned threads" section, and did some reading. Hopefully, I can do some "understanding" now.....

Edited by Diesel Goober, November 18, 2010 - 07:51 PM.

• OldExRacer

Posted December 21, 2010 - 05:42 AM

Do we need a different flywheel cover when installing the off road flywheel?

Edited by OldExRacer, December 21, 2010 - 06:41 AM.

• tech24

Posted December 21, 2010 - 05:45 AM

Do we need a different flywheel cover when installing the of road flywheel?

nope!

• grayracer513

Posted December 21, 2010 - 09:31 AM

..... Does running the engine for 40 secs., like Grayracer said, put most of the oil back into reservoir????

Yes. There are two oil pumps, as the dry sump thread explains, and while there is no particular pressure on the return pump, it has about twice the volume of the feed pump, so oil is always removed to the reservoir at a much faster rate than it is fed in to the engine. If the bike sat for two weeks, it might take almost a minute to clear the sump, but usually no more than that. That, and the fact that the sump itself is somewhat lower than the flywheel cover joint.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.