Advice on a purchase requested!

5 replies to this topic
  • noobsauce

Posted November 17, 2010 - 05:59 AM

Hi all!

I've been lurking around the various forums here for awhile as I pondered moving from the sport bikes I have ridden all of my life to a dual/sm/motard-ish bike. I finally settled on searching for an aluminum framed wr450f that I could plate and came across a specimen that I wanted to get some of your experienced opinions on. Thank you, I would appreciate any feedback you have to offer!

$6500
2008 WR450, 2000 miles
-Converted with a Baja Designs kit right out of the box
-17" DNA wheels (5"rear, 3.5" front)
-New Pirelli MT60s
-Uncorked and all free mods
-Leo Vince muffler
-Rejetted
-Trail Tech Vapor Computer
-GYTR AIS Blockoff
-No Toil Air Filter
-YZ Exhaust cam
-Cycra Supermoto Front Fender
-Factory piston engine
-3.6 gal Clark tank
-extremely clean, professionally maintained, not a scratch on it

Again, thank you for any insight you might have for me and thank you for a great forum filled with TONS more information than a noob like me can comprehend! :p

-Noobsauce

Edited by noobsauce, November 18, 2010 - 08:42 PM.

• desertlover

Posted November 17, 2010 - 11:05 AM

I'm not into motard bikes, but it seems like waayy to much money. The book value is probably around 4k and the mods might be worth another 1k to someone. I have an 07 (same bike), bought with 3-400mi. with most everything that bike has except the wheels. Paid 4700 yrs. ago. Last year you could buy that bike for 5800 OTD new around here.

• noobsauce

Posted November 18, 2010 - 07:06 AM

Thank you, desertlover. I know that I can do most of the mods myself, but some of them (rejetting etc) will have to be done by a shop so I am trying to see how much value is in the work already completed. That said, the price seems high to me too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted November 18, 2010 - 07:16 AM

Price does seem high all things considered.

• miweber929

Posted November 18, 2010 - 08:05 AM

'Bout $1k too high in my estimation.

Mike

• noobsauce

Posted November 18, 2010 - 08:54 PM

Thanks, Mike and YL. I have ridden this thing and it put a smile on my face ten miles wide so wanted to see if the price is right. I had never been on any dirt bike before then so it was a blast.

I am leaning towards looking for a solid used or new one to build myself but I am concerned about my mechanical skill/tool set limitations. The costs involved if I don't have everything I need or get to something I am not comfortable with concern me. I am mechanically inclined, but have only done minor work on my current sport bike so not sure if I can tackle the task.

Edited by noobsauce, November 18, 2010 - 10:02 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.