Anyone have 2010 YZ450F complaints or dislikes?

54 replies to this topic
  • brentn

Posted November 23, 2010 - 02:25 PM

Still it would be nice to do on the stand and not leaning on it's side....
Either way yes, it takes about ten minutes, just slightly annoying.

• 450motard

Posted November 30, 2010 - 11:14 AM

For those of you asking about fuel mileage, I copied two of my posts in one of the 2010 IMS threads:

Well, we tackled Bulcher this morning. We got there around 9:00 and it was already hot. The highs were 99-101 so, needless to say, we didn't put in as many miles as we normally would.

Per my GPS, I rode 20.04 miles. On the way home, I stopped at a gas station and topped off the tank and it took 0.935 gallons. At that rate, the 2.4 gallon tank would net me 51.30 miles.

The riding was very slow with lots of hill climbs. I'm sure the mileage would be better if we were moving a bit faster.

UPDATE:

Just got back from Taylor Park. I bought the Acerbis 0.8 gallon front mounted tank to extend my fuel mileage. I didn't really need it!

The first day, we traveled 62.4 miles (GPS) and I used the 0.8 gallons + roughly 1/4 of the 2.4 gallon IMS tank. So that's 62.4 miles on 1.4 gallons , or 44.6 mpg.

Keep in mind that most of our riding was at 10,000 to 12,000 feet above sea level, so the bike was using less fuel than it would at lower altitudes. How much less, I have no idea.

I was surprised at how much clutch slipping I was doing on the slow, steep climbs. Stuff I would lug up in Texas was kicking my 450's ass in Colorado!

• SEOINAGE

Posted November 30, 2010 - 12:27 PM

For those of you asking about fuel mileage, I copied two of my posts in one of the 2010 IMS threads:

Very cool thank you. I had looked into both of those tanks, I was thinking of getting one or the other. cost wise the front mounted tank is the better option, but I think it would mess with handling. How does the ims tank feel? wider than stock? bend your seat up too much? I know with the stock tank with its tank covers there is wasted space. I have seen one picture of the ims tank, and from what I could tell it just came up higher, but didn't look much wider. What is your opinion on it?

• 450motard

Posted November 30, 2010 - 08:59 PM

Very cool thank you. I had looked into both of those tanks, I was thinking of getting one or the other. cost wise the front mounted tank is the better option, but I think it would mess with handling. How does the ims tank feel? wider than stock? bend your seat up too much? I know with the stock tank with its tank covers there is wasted space. I have seen one picture of the ims tank, and from what I could tell it just came up higher, but didn't look much wider. What is your opinion on it?

IMS: it doesn't make the bike feel bulky. These bikes don't have a lot of spare room in that area for the tank to occupy, hence the 'oversize' being only 2.4 gallons (my CRF had a 2.4 gallon tank stock). Fit was a 9 out of 10, only because I really struggled with the front, lower mounts. They were very tight and quite a hassle, but I finally got it on. The seat was not affected one bit - the extra capacity really comes on the sides, a bit down low and a slightly higher filler neck.

Acerbis: I bought the smaller tank (0.8 vs 1.3 gal), because I was concerned with handling. Honestly, I never even noticed the tank was there. I'm no A+++ rider and I probably wouldn't know if you strapped a trailer on the back of my bike though, LOL. The nice part about the Acerbis is that it empties first - it basically refills your main tank as the fuel is drained from the main tank, so you're only dealing with the extra 6 pounds (think about it, not all that much) for the first however many miles of your ride. Strap a bag of flour to the front of your bike and see if you start crashing, I'll bet you don't.

Here's a picture of my 2010 with the IMS 2.4 gallon and Acerbis 0.8 gallon front tank mounted: (shoot me a PM if you want a higher resolution copy)

Posted Image

Bonus points for anyone that can guess where this picture was taken...

• tech24

Posted December 01, 2010 - 05:25 AM

That doesn't look bad at all. One of the better looking bikes with oversized tanks.

And for the bonus points the pic was taken outside :thumbsup:

• SEOINAGE

Posted December 01, 2010 - 05:25 AM

Awesome thanks for the photo. Much easier to see details than anything else I have found. That tank looks like it works really well, definitely something I should consider for long rides next spring. One other thing for the front tank, does the brake line fit behind it without being affected? I don't think I will need both fuel capacity increases, but I won't really know until I do some long rides, but I really like that ims tank.

• 450motard

Posted December 01, 2010 - 10:16 AM

One other thing for the front tank, does the brake line fit behind it without being affected?

No conflicts with the brake line - if you look close at the pic, you can see the mounting brackets for the tank. The tank is held between 1.0 to 1.5 inches in front of the forks, allowing cables to run behind the tank if needed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Merc1212

Posted December 01, 2010 - 12:46 PM

I came off an '06 YZ450f... things I noticed:

- intake is loud when you first ride it, but I honestly don't notice it anymore.
- air filter is both harder and easier.... more bolts, and need that tank string but filter itself is so much simpler - no more mounting to cage and getting filter oil everywhere in the air box. Less effort to clean and oil too. Doesn't seem to get as dirty.
- brakes felt much stronger than my 06, but they are no KTMs.
- starting is ok - no more 1st kick when cold, I gave up and just give it a quick 3 in a row, starts on the 3rd try everytime. Hot requires a little practice, I give it the slightest touch of throttle and can usually get it 1st try. I'm not looking forward to dead engine starts though.
- the reduced fuel capacity had me worried, but I don't think it'll be any different than my '06 being that the efi is more effecient.
-turns MUCH better and feels lighter...most apparent improvement to me
-very jerky off idle as everyone mentioned. Ok in the open, but coming out of turns it is unerving and often threw me out of lines.
-I used the tuner and tried the Jay Marmont map...I'm sold. I don't think it is as powerful as stock, but it makes the hit much more manageable and seems to give it more top end. I feel more in control and thus go faster.
-replaced front tire before even riding it. Didn't like it on my 06, figured I wouldn't like it on this one either.

• cowboyona426

Posted December 02, 2010 - 08:03 AM

The photo was taken near a stream. What do I win? :thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted December 02, 2010 - 08:03 AM

I came off an '06 YZ450f... things I noticed:

- intake is loud when you first ride it, but I honestly don't notice it anymore.
- air filter is both harder and easier.... more bolts, and need that tank string but filter itself is so much simpler - no more mounting to cage and getting filter oil everywhere in the air box. Less effort to clean and oil too. Doesn't seem to get as dirty.
- brakes felt much stronger than my 06, but they are no KTMs.
- starting is ok - no more 1st kick when cold, I gave up and just give it a quick 3 in a row, starts on the 3rd try everytime. Hot requires a little practice, I give it the slightest touch of throttle and can usually get it 1st try. I'm not looking forward to dead engine starts though.
- the reduced fuel capacity had me worried, but I don't think it'll be any different than my '06 being that the efi is more effecient.
-turns MUCH better and feels lighter...most apparent improvement to me
-very jerky off idle as everyone mentioned. Ok in the open, but coming out of turns it is unerving and often threw me out of lines.
-I used the tuner and tried the Jay Marmont map...I'm sold. I don't think it is as powerful as stock, but it makes the hit much more manageable and seems to give it more top end. I feel more in control and thus go faster.
-replaced front tire before even riding it. Didn't like it on my 06, figured I wouldn't like it on this one either.

Are you riding MX or trails?

• 450motard

Posted December 02, 2010 - 10:52 AM

The photo was taken near a stream. What do I win? :blah:

A new custom title - Captain Obvious! :thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted December 02, 2010 - 11:03 AM

A new custom title - Captain Obvious! :thumbsup:

You never said how specific an answer you were looking for :blah:

• grayracer513

Posted December 02, 2010 - 11:51 AM

I thought "outdoors" was better. :thumbsup:

• Ibis

Posted December 03, 2010 - 03:45 PM

Switchbacks to Cement Creek

• 450motard

Posted December 04, 2010 - 07:18 PM

Switchbacks to Cement Creek

bingo. It's at the bottom of Deadman Gulch... where my cousin and nephew BOTH dunked their bikes... the water is deeper than it looks and the rocks are big!

/end hijack

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.