Anyone have 2010 YZ450F complaints or dislikes?

54 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted November 18, 2010 - 10:50 AM

I'm going to make your day. I came off the 08 and to a 10. Run your race sag at 108-110 mm. That shake will be gone and the bike will be like magic. I was trying to run 100 mm of sag and the bike was soo sketchy comming into turns and felt unplanted in the turns at the same time. Both MX1 and factory Connection told me to run more sag. To me it felt like the bike needed less sag and this is where I was going wrong.

Again , I could not believe the difference. Do it today before you start to dislike the bike. Set the sag at 108mm with your gear on. no cheating or you will be cheating yourself out of a killer bike. Close enough does not work. This bikes chassis is mega finicky.

coming off an 06 a sketchy front end is the last thing I want to deal with again... do you ride mostly track or desert?

• steve_97060

Posted November 18, 2010 - 05:55 PM

I have to agree with the sketchy feel coming into corners sometimes, I haven't had my front end washout but it does feel like it wants to at times. I still have the stock front tire on so that could be part of it, and I have added a little more sag, as others have mentioned, it just "feels" different than my 06 and took awhile to get used to that difference.

The suspension is amazing, soaks everything up. The air filter stays remarkably clean, I keep checking on it thinking it will need changed and it always looks clean.

I have noticed when changing the oil that I can smell gas in it and it seems thinner than when I changed my 06, last change I also measured the amount that came out and it was several ounces more than I put in so not sure what is going on there.

All in all, it is a great bike though, I just wish the weather here was better so I could actually go riding.

• BBrown626

Posted November 18, 2010 - 06:16 PM

I'm going to make your day. I came off the 08 and to a 10. Run your race sag at 108-110 mm. That shake will be gone and the bike will be like magic. I was trying to run 100 mm of sag and the bike was soo sketchy comming into turns and felt unplanted in the turns at the same time. Both MX1 and factory Connection told me to run more sag. To me it felt like the bike needed less sag and this is where I was going wrong.

Again , I could not believe the difference. Do it today before you start to dislike the bike. Set the sag at 108mm with your gear on. no cheating or you will be cheating yourself out of a killer bike. Close enough does not work. This bikes chassis is mega finicky.

Fine tune the sag at the track. Just a turn or two of the spring will make a big difference in handling.

• TripleUp

Posted November 20, 2010 - 07:15 PM

did they fix the fuel getting into the oil on the 2011?

• brentn

Posted November 20, 2010 - 08:56 PM

Where are you guys hearing this?

• aedwards07

Posted November 20, 2010 - 09:28 PM

Probably not since it wasnt a problem in 2010.

• thestuz

Posted November 21, 2010 - 12:28 AM

Probably not since it wasnt a problem in 2010.

http://www.thumperta...ght=fuel in oil

• SEOINAGE

Posted November 21, 2010 - 05:47 AM

Those of you with problems with the front end, I'm guessing its the tire, the thing is a pos. My front end wants to come out from under me all the time. And if I go over a wet spot it will.

• moto278

Posted November 21, 2010 - 08:15 AM

if that was a problem it was a pretty small number of ppl that had the problem. i havent had any gas in my oil and my bike has been for sittin for weeks with a full tank. and the front end was never a problem but that tire as seoinage said is POS. ditched it as soon as the weather got nice for my regular bridgestones. worlds better and no more wash outs

• Phil Hannah

Posted November 21, 2010 - 08:23 AM

I run my forks between 6 to 8 mm up and sag no less than 108. I dont know how anyone runs their forks flush. I have tried almost every sag and fork height combo and for me this is what i found to work best. The bike is not twitchy and it turns damn good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Skotten

Posted November 21, 2010 - 10:01 AM

I am glad I read this thread. The bike is definately scary coming into corners and the front feels like its about to go at anytime. I though it was just me. I found dragging the front break helps keep the front in place. I am riding stock tires guess I´ll change them next spring, I´ll be putting spikes on in a week or so. About the head shake i´ll add more sag first then I´ll drop the forks. I notice it most slowing down at high speed on bumpy sand I thought t was just me.

I like the idea of the power tunner I´ll tried few different maps some made it hard to start. The "Woods map" turned it into a giant trials bike kinda funny, but I normaly run the stock map. Yup takes off well in second gear, I had it in deep wet soft sand at the weekend drag racing my friends 91 Yz 250 2smoke. The oil dranage holes are not in the best place and I keep getting oil all over the floor. I use a baby bath to catch the oil. With stock map my bike Starts thrid kick cold 1st or 2nd warm if I dont stall it, this bike will only stall at low speed. These bikes were never designed for putting around on. As for the sound, well... the people around here dont like it. At the indoor track its definatly sticks out :p I havent had any problems with it yet. It was good to read about the cold fooling the engine management system, it will soon be -20 and less in a month or so.. The airfilter is a please to clean and re-oil. I have stopped cleaning them I bough a hole box full of new filters oil n go..

• TripleUp

Posted November 21, 2010 - 02:13 PM

http://www.thumperta...ght=fuel in oil

Thank you Stuz. There is the proof of people having this problem and there is even a user complaining about it earlier in this thread. I'm guessing no one knows if that's fixed on the 2011? Has anyone diagnosed what the problem is and what is causing it? And perhaps this is only a problem with a small number of bikes but I don't want to be one of the people who gets that problem.

• grayracer513

Posted November 21, 2010 - 04:26 PM

The fuel in the oil problem has to the best of my knowledge so far only been with people riding in very low temperatures. The coolant never gets hot enough to avoid the EFI's cold enrichment because there is no thermostat. Those who have tried it say that taping over part of the radiator helps.

• BBrown626

Posted November 21, 2010 - 06:04 PM

I run my forks between 6 to 8 mm up and sag no less than 108. I dont know how anyone runs their forks flush. I have tried almost every sag and fork height combo and for me this is what i found to work best. The bike is not twitchy and it turns damn good.

I am about 6mm up and sag is 105-108. No problems. I also run Bridgestone 403/404 or Dunlop MX 51's.

:p

• BBrown626

Posted November 21, 2010 - 06:14 PM

-Boot for spark plug allows water/dirt to enter the bike. Don't blame the pressure washer on this one, it's impossible to spray up in there with it. Changing your spark plug with bits of dirt clumped to the walls and around the base of the plug is pretty scary.

Brentn,
have you bee successful in sealing the plug connector?

I checked my valves today. The plug was pretty rusty and there was debris in the opening (Head). After putting it all back together I cleaned up the plug connector and sealed it by applying some hi temp rtv to the top.

• sean3239

Posted November 21, 2010 - 07:00 PM

I am about 6mm up and sag is 105-108. No problems. I also run Bridgestone 403/404 or Dunlop MX 51's.

:p

I will have to try that, 6mm on the fork setting and see how that goes with my current sag. As I said, its pretty good now as I have become more accustomed to it. I have a Michelin Starcross MS3 on the front which I have always liked so the issues were IMO not completely related to the front tire.

As for the sound, well... the people around here dont like it. At the indoor track its definatly sticks out I havent had any problems with it yet.

I guess one of the benefits of the sound coming from the front is that the people in front of you will know you are coming!

• 95s10nj

Posted November 22, 2010 - 01:15 PM

I tried sliding the forks up 3mm with my 100mm race sag to try and improve the turning but the resulting headshake in the fast rough sections was just too much. Guess ill try running more sag and see if it helps.

• Chazmagnum

Posted November 22, 2010 - 02:37 PM

:thumbsup: Dear yamaha:
Can you please put the oil drain on my next 450 on the side of the case so I can change the oil while its still on the stand and not have to remove the skid plate then make the bike magically hover with a slite lean. Thank You :p

• NE14MX

Posted November 23, 2010 - 05:06 AM

Chaz, I'm thinking of flipping the axel so the triangle stand can fit on the right side and hold the bike for oil changing purposes. This would also allow me to push down when torquing the axel instead of pulling up. I don't usually use the triangle stand at the track as I don't like that a good wind can cause the bike to fall over.

• 95s10nj

Posted November 23, 2010 - 07:31 AM

:thumbsup: Dear yamaha:
Can you please put the oil drain on my next 450 on the side of the case so I can change the oil while its still on the stand and not have to remove the skid plate then make the bike magically hover with a slite lean. Thank You :p

Changing the oil isn't that bad. I always change mine at home so no need to bring the triangle stand with you. Takes like 10 minutes start to finish.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.