my new 09 450

9 replies to this topic
  • TIM696

Posted November 16, 2010 - 06:52 PM

picking up my new to me 09 it only has 6.5 on the hour meter but anyway my ? is whats the good and bad of the bike so I know what to look for I am coming from an 07 so whats the big little or no difference between the 2

• brentn

Posted November 17, 2010 - 12:46 AM

I have been told that the header is restrictive and the silencer is even more so, ditch the stock exhaust for something decent.
Other than that, this bike is pretty dang good, lots of people have good things to say about it.

• grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2010 - 09:26 AM

The muffler is restrictive. The header is oversized as a compensation for the muffler, and if the muffler is replaced with something better, the header then becomes counterproductive.

• myoung

Posted November 17, 2010 - 10:11 PM

If it still has the stock exhaust, get rid of that to start with. If you find like most of us the '09 feels a little lazy and could use some snap, look at swapping the cams and CDI to the '06 parts. Check to see if you have the upgraded head tube bearings and seal, mine didn't. Other than that, get it set-up for you and have fun! I love my '09!! :p

• YamaLink

Posted November 18, 2010 - 03:59 AM

Yep, the stock exhaust. The only rider I know who enjoys his 09 with the stock exhaust was looking for an off-road bike with less bark than his other 450F.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TIM696

Posted November 18, 2010 - 07:54 PM

picked up the bike today and I cant wait for the weekend this baby is mint its brand new thank god i found this deal after market black wheels full fmf power core set up with power bomb header and a set of hot cams 6.5 hours just like he said not a scratch to be found renthal twin wall bars new tires chain and sprockets and moded suspension by a very reputable local shop that is lways around the tracks for track side supporthe owns a local shop and race team and his spoiled A rider rode the bike 4 times and switched to a kawi the bike has been sittin ever since the only thing left is to get it dialed in to my liking I will le you know how I make out with itaccording to him its rejeted to perfection and he gave me the stock jet and what his settings are so hopefully its what he says it is as far as performance goes but either way I cant wait to ride it

• myoung

Posted November 18, 2010 - 09:13 PM

Wow, that's pretty well set-up. Do you know if the valving is set close enough for your weight?

• TIM696

Posted November 19, 2010 - 02:42 PM

its not but he claims I will be able to find a good setting so we will see if I cant get it right I will just let the suspension shop get it right for me I will find out on sunday what the verdict will be

• myoung

Posted November 19, 2010 - 03:33 PM

Mine was set up for a pretty light, aggressive, A level rider. The valving was close for my slower, less aggressive riding, but my 200 lb fat ass just didn't work well with it and I couldn't find any good settings. New springs and a complete revalve later and it's sweet!

• TIM696

Posted November 19, 2010 - 05:11 PM

thats what im thinking as well for me but ill be fine with that a small price to pay for a good bike

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.