O7' WRF Lexx MXE or Stock YZF pipe?

17 replies to this topic
  • mikewrf18

Posted November 16, 2010 - 07:33 AM

A friend of mine ran in to me and my 07' WR450F awhile back, and ruined my stock exhaust. It received some dents and the mid pipe is now cinked just behind the tail pipe. :p I've always wanted to upgrade the pipe anyways, so I guess now I have an excuse! :thumbsup: I'm looking at the Lexx MXE, and I've also considered swapping it with a full exhaust system from an 07' or later YZ450F header, and tailpipe. Times are tight right now so I can't afford to go all out on a $500+ system. For $199 I can get the Lexx MXE w/mid pipe, or I could get a complete used exhaust off a YZF, for pretty inexpensive. I've done a search on this site on the Lexx MXE, and everyone seems to like them for the price. I haven't seen any feedback on anyone running one on an 07 or later WR. If I pick up a YZF exhaust off ebay for cheap, I'll still have to buy a spark arrestor/end cap, so I'm not saving much going that route. Looking for the best bang for the buck. Oh by the way, if anyone is looking for an aftermarket quiet core insert for the stock pipe I'll be getting rid of mine soon.
Thanks

• resinlips

Posted November 16, 2010 - 07:47 AM

I was lucky to find a full system from an 09 yzf with the sparky end cap for 200.00. Considering the end cap alone goes for 135.00 it was a score. Dont know anything about the MXE

Posted Image

• mikewrf18

Posted November 16, 2010 - 08:10 AM

I was lucky to find a full system from an 09 yzf with the sparky end cap for 200.00. Considering the end cap alone goes for 135.00 it was a score. Dont know anything about the MXE

Posted Image

Nice WR! How is that setup performing for you? Is it true that I can't install just a YZF tail pipe without replacing my WR stock header as well? I realize I'll probably end up paying more for the end cap then I will for the exhaust. Looks like you scored a great deal! What new jets did you use? My bike was re-jetted when I did the (almost) free mods, I have to dig up my notes. I have my settings written down somewhere.

• Jim813

Posted November 16, 2010 - 10:04 AM

Leo-Vinice has a 35% off sale going on right now. Their quality is excellent, they are quiet and come with a few different inserts/ spark arrestor, and you can get one for the price of a used stock YZ pipe and buying a spark arrestor.

I've heard good things about Lexx, but never seen them myself.

• resinlips

Posted November 16, 2010 - 10:41 AM

Nice WR! How is that setup performing for you? Is it true that I can't install just a YZF tail pipe without replacing my WR stock header as well? I realize I'll probably end up paying more for the end cap then I will for the exhaust. Looks like you scored a great deal! What new jets did you use? My bike was re-jetted when I did the (almost) free mods, I have to dig up my notes. I have my settings written down somewhere.

Mine has a 48pilot and 168main and 4thpos on the clip. Bike runs flawlessly. The lower end grunt is about the same as a stock pipe but the mid to upper range is where she starts to party. I got my set up from a very gracious TT member btw

Dont bother keeping the stock header, open that baby up and let her breath

• yz-dwg

Posted November 16, 2010 - 03:30 PM

I like my Lexx, it doesnt feel any lighter than stock and is almost as quiet, the power gain is impressive over stock at all rpm's. it took awhile to dial in the jetting but rolly cuase I'm a jetting noob. funny thing is that I had to go leaner instead of richer - wierd, no?

• resinlips

Posted November 16, 2010 - 03:42 PM

I like my Lexx, it doesnt feel any lighter than stock and is almost as quiet, the power gain is impressive over stock at all rpm's. it took awhile to dial in the jetting but rolly cuase I'm a jetting noob. funny thing is that I had to go leaner instead of richer - wierd, no?

Whoa... leaner than stock? Stay out of the dry brush with your glowing head pipe.

• comtnrider

Posted November 16, 2010 - 04:19 PM

I'm running a complete '08 YZ exhaust with the Pro Moto Billet end cap with downturned Quiet Insert on my '07 WR. (around $200 if you shop around) Works great, should pass the 96 db test(haven't tested yet) and gives the motor a little more. :p

• JSanfilippo

Posted November 16, 2010 - 06:24 PM

Posted Image

Damn Mike, I saw those trail pics on SBR and that property just blows my mind.

Back to the topic, I believe '06 YZ 450f pipe is the best for all out grunt (larger core diameter, shorter can) and probably the best value. If sound is an issue, the '07 YZ 450f pipe (smaller diameter core, longer can) with a PMB spark arrestor/turned down tip is very reasonable IMO. Many times these pipes can be found on ebay with the spark arrestor already installed.

I too have heard good things about the lexx exhaust but mostly from the rolling couch crowd.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted November 16, 2010 - 07:16 PM

I'm running a complete '08 YZ exhaust with the Pro Moto Billet end cap with downturned Quiet Insert on my '07 WR. (around $200 if you shop around) Works great, should pass the 96 db test(haven't tested yet) and gives the motor a little more. :p

You'll JUST pass.

• tribalbc

Posted November 16, 2010 - 07:19 PM

I scored a new complete Jardine RT-5 system on Ebay for $250 :p
Haven't mounted it yet (bikes in pieces) for feedback but it certainly looks quality. It also weighs a pound less than my 08 YZ sytem with PMB SA :thumbsup:

• yz-dwg

Posted November 17, 2010 - 07:12 AM

Whoa... leaner than stock? Stay out of the dry brush with your glowing head pipe.

not leaner than stock, leaner than free mods and JD kit. it took a lot of playing with the needle (finally went to the blue needle and found nirvana),
but I like the Lexx pipe, my bike rips now...A+++

• mikewrf18

Posted November 17, 2010 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I am assuming that only a 07 or newer YZF pipe will fit without modification? I'm still kind of on the fence on which way I will go. I guess I'll keep an eye on ebay for a good deal on a YZF pipe, if I don't see one I'll probably go the Lexx route. Would the benefit of purchasing the YZF pipe with header, give me better performance then a new aftermarket tail pipe?

• JSanfilippo

Posted November 17, 2010 - 05:52 PM

The '06 YZ pipe will fit.

• L. Euler

Posted November 20, 2010 - 05:28 AM

I really ticks me off that straight pipe Harleys get a pass while dirt bikes usually out in the middle of nowhere have to pass 96 db. One reason I left California never to return.

• el bud

Posted November 20, 2010 - 09:50 AM

Before all the free mods on my 07, I had checked on this, and found used 06 YZF oem full system to be best for the buck. However after mods I found no need for more. If mine gets damaged then perhaps....perhaps. :p

• MRies717

Posted May 18, 2012 - 06:52 PM

any one know if a Yoshi slip on silencer for an 05 yz450f will transfer over to my 06 yz450f?

• zibbit u2

Posted May 18, 2012 - 07:52 PM

yes.. but way to bring a thread back from the dead.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.