what is your 450 woods setup?

21 replies to this topic
  • 2whls4life

Posted November 16, 2010 - 04:23 AM

Just curious to see what people are running on their 450 woods bikes. Also what type of woods riding are you doing with these setups (tight trails)?

• grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2010 - 07:46 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=478882

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=338231

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=918292

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=891040

• cowboyona426

Posted November 16, 2010 - 08:53 AM

Because I'm bored at the moment...
06 YZ 450F- 10mm bar risers, Pro Taper Windham bend bars, Acerbis Rally pro handguards with GYT-R triple clamp mounts, custom valved suspension, GYT-R heavy off-road flywheel, WC radiator cages, WC skid plate, 12T front sprocket, X-ring chain, Dr. D full stainless exhaust w/sparky, re-routed carb breather hoses to airbox. All of the above I would consider as necessary mods at a minimum for western trail riding. I would like to go lower with the gearing, but that will require me to buy another chain so I haven't done it yet. I have other stuff done to the bike but those are the must have mods for most trail riding. Most of my other stuff is cosmetic. I do have an IMS tank but I hate it with a passion and its only necessary if you plan on riding 40 miles or more in a day.

• 2whls4life

Posted November 17, 2010 - 03:36 AM

I do have an IMS tank but I hate it with a passion and its only necessary if you plan on riding 40 miles or more in a day.

How come you don't like the tank? I was actually looking into one for out on the trails, the stock one almost stranded me in PA a couple weeks ago haha

• cowboyona426

Posted November 17, 2010 - 07:40 AM

How come you don't like the tank? I was actually looking into one for out on the trails, the stock one almost stranded me in PA a couple weeks ago haha

Because it's a miserable son of a _____ to get mounted. I'd think a company like IMS could make a tank that fits better, but it seems even the Clarke's have fit issues. I got a good deal on this IMS on Craigslist, and if I didn't need the extra capacity for the few longer rides I'd do I'd sell this tank yesterday.

• grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2010 - 09:30 AM

I did not have the same problems with the IMS I run on my '06. The only issue was that the shrouds have to be bolted to the radiators and then pulled back to the tank, and the seat was a little hard to get slid all the way forward at first. Overall, it was much easier to mount than the Clarke, and the fit round the frame, engine and radiators is much better.

• cowboyona426

Posted November 17, 2010 - 09:52 AM

The only issue was that the shrouds have to be bolted to the radiators and then pulled back to the tank

With the lower shroud bolt in place, I can pull the shroud around the tank and get 2 of the other 3 bolts in. To get the bolt in at the rear most point in the shroud, I had to really tug back on the radiator with my shin behind the peg to keep the bike from sliding off the stand and get the bolt hole to line up. There is no good reason it should be like this, but you and everyone else that owns an IMS tank has had the same fit issues.

• grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2010 - 10:05 AM

I don't have to pull nearly that hard to get the shrouds in place. Not at all. I do think that it's a bit odd that nobody seems capable of making aftermarket tanks fit like OEM, though.

• cowboyona426

Posted November 17, 2010 - 10:35 AM

I don't have to pull nearly that hard to get the shrouds in place. Not at all.

I have some small spacers between the tank and front mount, I've considered moving them to the rear mount to see if the shrouds will bolt up easier. Either way its rediculous to have to go through this to bolt the dang shrouds on :p

• WB450

Posted November 17, 2010 - 10:40 AM

My tank bolts on like the stock tank, just a couple little longer bolts in the shroud t rad mounting points.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2010 - 12:12 PM

My tank bolts on like the stock tank, just a couple little longer bolts in the shroud t rad mounting points.

Mine too.

I have some small spacers between the tank and front mount, I've considered moving them to the rear mount to see if the shrouds will bolt up easier.

That would probably solve your problem. You shouldn't have needed the spacers in the first place, though, I'll give you that. But on the bright side, at least you can install them. Both brackets on the Clarke are cast in place, and the don't fit well at all (tank is too long in that case)

• 2whls4life

Posted November 17, 2010 - 12:39 PM

Wow I was looking forward to getting one of those tanks too, anyone else make a larger tank that fits better?

Anyone have better luck with the fitting of the IMS tank I have an '03?

• cowboyona426

Posted November 17, 2010 - 12:40 PM

I already have slightly longer bolts and spacers due to the WC rad cages.

Mine too.

That would probably solve your problem. You shouldn't have needed the spacers in the first place, though, I'll give you that. But on the bright side, at least you can install them. Both brackets on the Clarke are cast in place, and the don't fit well at all (tank is too long in that case)

Wiz636 (I believe) was who suggested the spacers in the front mount. Without them, the front bracket sits about 1/4" away from the tank with the rear mount fully tightened down.

• grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2010 - 01:05 PM

I already have slightly longer bolts and spacers due to the WC rad cages.

Wiz636 (I believe) was who suggested the spacers in the front mount. Without them, the front bracket sits about 1/4" away from the tank with the rear mount fully tightened down.

And obviously, it worked, insofar as it corrected the distance between the two mounting holes. Now, if you shift the spacers from the front to the back, you'll move the whole tank forward, and your shrouds should fit better. BTW, I run longer shroud to radiator bolts with a couple of 8mm nuts as spacers on mine, same as WB does.

• SXP

Posted November 17, 2010 - 01:23 PM

And obviously, it worked, insofar as it corrected the distance between the two mounting holes. Now, if you shift the spacers from the front to the back, you'll move the whole tank forward, and your shrouds should fit better. BTW, I run longer shroud to radiator bolts with a couple of 8mm nuts as spacers on mine, same as WB does.

I don't know if there are any differences between the 06-09 YZ and 07+ WR frame insomuch as the tank mounting points are concerned, but the IMS 3.1 tank bolted up with no spacing issues on my WR. I did have to raise the height of the tank/seat "pin" with a couple of spacers so the seat would slide on easily. I had to use YZ shrouds and to address the gap between the lower radiator mounting point and shroud I cut a plug/spacer of the correct length off an aluminium dowel and drilled and tapped it to the same thread pitch as the shroud bolt. I bolted (with red loc-tite) one end of the spacer to the lower radiator mounting hole. The lower mounting point of the shrouds now presses up perfectly with the spacer and I can now use the stock shroud bolt to attach the shroud. A little extra work, but a pretty clean finish.

Edited by SXP, November 17, 2010 - 01:39 PM.

• cowboyona426

Posted November 17, 2010 - 01:36 PM

Wow I was looking forward to getting one of those tanks too, anyone else make a larger tank that fits better?

Anyone have better luck with the fitting of the IMS tank I have an '03?

03 is a whole different ball of wax. Nobody seems to be able to make an aftermarket tank for the aluminum framed bikes that actually fits right. Very few complaints about the steelies.

8mm thick spacers? I don't think mine are quite that thick. They are what WC provided with the radiator cages, I'd guess 5-6mm thick. Once I get the 426 done, maybe I'll worry about making this dang IMS tank fit again.

• TommyB 754

Posted November 17, 2010 - 01:46 PM

Do you guys notice the tank in the corners? I tend to really get forward on my bike in the corners, at the very front of the seat. which would be better for that, the clarke or the IMS? The clarkes tend to have a bit of a nut buster.

• cowboyona426

Posted November 17, 2010 - 02:50 PM

Do you guys notice the tank in the corners? I tend to really get forward on my bike in the corners, at the very front of the seat. which would be better for that, the clarke or the IMS? The clarkes tend to have a bit of a nut buster.

I can't tell a difference between this tank and stock when riding, but I don't tend to get up on the tank much.

• grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2010 - 03:32 PM

8mm thick spacers? I don't think mine are quite that thick. They are what WC provided with the radiator cages, I'd guess 5-6mm thick. Once I get the 426 done, maybe I'll worry about making this dang IMS tank fit again.

Not 8mm thick, they're just normal 8mm nuts with 12 or 14mm heads.

The Clarke is slimmer, and yes, the IMS does impede moving forward a little, but it doesn't prevent it, and once you're used to it being there, it's not a big deal at all.

... I don't tend to get up on the tank much.

If that's true, that's one reason you have as many complaints about push as you do. It makes a lot of difference.

• cowboyona426

Posted November 17, 2010 - 03:48 PM

If that's true, that's one reason you have as many complaints about push as you do. It makes a lot of difference.

Its one of those things I've been working on. Getting forward does help, but before I had the suspension revalved the front end still sucked, forward or not. Unfortunately, I only get to ride a handful of times a year, and I've only had 1 ride on my revalved suspension so tuning my technique is taking a lot longer than it should.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.