Lookin at 3 Bikes: which to buy?

11 replies to this topic
  • bhsballer76

Posted November 14, 2010 - 07:33 PM

Im looking at buying a bike which I will hopefully be able to keep for the next 5 plus years. I have it narrowed down to 3 choices and am looking for input on comparables. My main questions is comparing the 05' 250 to the 04 450'. I would love to have the aluminum framed bike, but is the 05' 250 better is enough ways to justify the 1,000 dollar price difference? For some reason the 05' seems way newer than the 04', even though its only a year difference. I just graduated form college and will be starting a new job tht doesnt pay alot. Im looking to buy a bike with some savings I have and will be looking for a bike I can ride for the long term... Any thoughts?

1. 2006 YZ450F: Overall condition is 9/10. Has full white brothers pipe and asv levers. 1 Owner bike. Price is $2,400.

2. 2004 YZ450F: Bike looks pretty rough in terms of plastics, seat cover, and graphics.Looks probably 6/10. All of this I would replace ASAP. Bike Runs excellent and appears to be mechanically maintained very well.Runs 10/10. Bike has port and polished head, new pistion and rings, full white bro's carbon pipe, revalved suspension, and brand new tires. Bike pulls hard from my test ride. Price is $1,500.

3. 2005 YZ250. Bike looks 8/10. Will just need some new graphics. Bike is pretty clean, but does show some use. Has pull pro circut exhaust. Tires are 8/10. Runs very well and has great compression. Seems to be jetter right on. Price is currently 2,500 with owner maybe willing to come down a few hundred.

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2010 - 08:08 PM

The '06.

• bhsballer76

Posted November 14, 2010 - 08:27 PM

The '06.

Thats my first choice.The owner seems relucatant to let go of the bike and hasnt returned my two calls. Im thinking he may be backing out. If he doesnt back out im going for the 06. I was more or less looking for input on the 04' vs the 05'. Thanks.

• locomike

Posted November 14, 2010 - 08:27 PM

The '06.

What he said. No question.

• locomike

Posted November 14, 2010 - 08:30 PM

Thats my first choice.The owner seems relucatant to let go of the bike and hasnt returned my two calls. Im thinking he may be backing out. If he doesnt back out im going for the 06. I was more or less looking for input on the 04' vs the 05'. Thanks.

If you can't get the 06, get the 05 YZ250. Great bike and is cheap to own/maintain.

• bhsballer76

Posted November 14, 2010 - 10:42 PM

If you can't get the 06, get the 05 YZ250. Great bike and is cheap to own/maintain.

Yea, 06' is what im hoping for. I rode the 05' 250 down a dirt rode and it seemed to run through the gears really quick. Like it was geared really short. Also, it seemed to not have a distinctive powerband like I remember on my older two strokes. It seems to be very linear in terms of power. Does this sound right for the 250?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wswain

Posted November 15, 2010 - 01:43 AM

I cant comment on the other bikes but i have an 04 yz450f and it has been an awesome bike since ive owned it. ive pickled it up like new and its still a very good bike. though not as light as the newer bikes it can keep up with the newer 250 and 450s i ride with. as long as you change the oil, oil filter and air filter regularly they are good bikes. besides the normal wear n tear and acessories ive spend less on this bike (owned since 07) than my old 125 and 250 put together. all i have is good praise the only thing that sorta gets me is the 4 speed box compares tot he others with 5 but change the gearing and it fine..

• crash90

Posted November 15, 2010 - 02:00 AM

go for the 06

Posted November 15, 2010 - 04:52 AM

Yea, 06' is what im hoping for. I rode the 05' 250 down a dirt rode and it seemed to run through the gears really quick. Like it was geared really short. Also, it seemed to not have a distinctive powerband like I remember on my older two strokes. It seems to be very linear in terms of power. Does this sound right for the 250?

Thats what makes it so nice. They toned the motor down (more 4strk like) which makes it a lot more manageble especially for trail riding. The motor can rip though, don't let it fool ya but its not the light switch it use to be. IMO which bike?......I would ask what type riding you are planning on and at what level do you ride.

• bhsballer76

Posted November 15, 2010 - 08:05 AM

Thats what makes it so nice. They toned the motor down (more 4strk like) which makes it a lot more manageble especially for trail riding. The motor can rip though, don't let it fool ya but its not the light switch it use to be. IMO which bike?......I would ask what type riding you are planning on and at what level do you ride.

I plan on getting into riding tracks. I have only been a a track twice and that was on my LTR 450. They just opened a new one near me so I plan on going there more often.

Posted November 15, 2010 - 09:44 AM

I plan on getting into riding tracks. I have only been a a track twice and that was on my LTR 450. They just opened a new one near me so I plan on going there more often.

My opinion would be to go with 06'.

• Troutman

Posted November 15, 2010 - 03:36 PM

06 No question, or a 10!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.