Anyone Using A Loudmouth Filter/Intake Setup?

8 replies to this topic
  • Mr. Neutron

Posted November 14, 2010 - 07:11 PM

Hey, All!!!

First of all, let me preface my question here..... I'm not out to get more power from my 2006 450F. If I did need more power, there are better ways of getting it than with a new air filter. Secondly, I do not believe the manufacturer's claim of gaining 5 hp. This does nothing for me but sets off my BS detector :thumbsup: , & I can't use all the power I have now anyway, so that's a moot point to me....

But what I think I like is the way this filter seals up. I'll try to give a link to the Yamaha 450 setup here:
http://shop.loudmout...ZF-QCY-1224.htm

To me, this just looks like a much more positive seal, if it's executed right. I personally fabbed up a similar kinda deal for my old vintage mx bike, 4-5 years ago. Here's some pics:

I machined a round, double-sided flange that would allow a hose from the carburetor to the flange to be clamped cleanly & solid to one end of the flange. Here it was in the "fabbing up" process:
Posted Image

How it worked out:
Posted Image

The Uni filter has a round rubber seal with a hose clamp surface molded into it. A simple hose clamp held the filter tight to the flange I machined. Kinda similar to the Loudmouth's setup, them copyin' bastards.... :bonk: (just kidding here... :mad: )

Anyway, I hate the price of this deal ($200!!! :ride: :p ). I'm not certain the items you receive are worth that knda money. That's one thing that'll probably have me simply buying 2 extra Twin-Air filters, and hoping the rim to airbox seal is good.....

But it would seem to me like it's easier to be visually certain the filter is 100% sealed with this setup. One thing I dearly liked about my old KTM300 was the design of the airbox. It's sorta similar to my 450's, but the filter was sorta turned almost 90 degrees sideways to the carb, making it easier to visually see that the filter was seated correctly. I can't tell this with the Yamaha, at least not visually.....

Does anyone have any experience with these setups? What are your thoughts, if no practical experience?

Jimmie

Edited by Diesel Goober, November 16, 2010 - 05:34 PM.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 15, 2010 - 08:30 AM

I use one on my 06...it is overpriced, too easy to install, seals a little better than any other filter, makes cleaning out the box so much easier with the rubberized cover, bike seems to get slightly more air and therefore the butt dyno seems stronger but 5hp claim is steep wishful thinking.

• Mr. Neutron

Posted November 15, 2010 - 05:42 PM

I use one on my 06...it is overpriced, too easy to install, seals a little better than any other filter, makes cleaning out the box so much easier with the rubberized cover, bike seems to get slightly more air and therefore the butt dyno seems stronger but 5hp claim is steep wishful thinking.

Hey, Thank You for replying, Ga426owner!!!

I guess I need to weigh out whether the stuff you receive is worth the cost, and if it's worth the "peace of mind" knowing the filter is sealed about as well as it can......

Now, I realize that most folks never have a problem getting their air filter in right, and most have no troubles with the seal on them. I actually kinda fall into that camp...... But I still like the idea of the way this deal seals up.... I dunno what to do..... :p This close to Chrtistmas, I probably won't be able to justify spending $200 on my bike withour fear of getting neutered or something..... :thumbsup:

Jimmie

• grayracer513

Posted November 15, 2010 - 06:16 PM

For $200 there is no way in hell it's worth it. If there was a problem to be solved, that would be one thing, but in fact there isn't, so IMO, it's a total waste.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted November 16, 2010 - 01:38 PM

For $200 there is no way in hell it's worth it. If there was a problem to be solved, that would be one thing, but in fact there isn't, so IMO, it's a total waste.

come on grumpy, you still hatin on these things :thumbsup:
somefolks have 200 bucks burnin a hole in their pockets and have to have all the gizmos.... a majority of all this aftermkt crap is a total waste of money if there are no problems to be solved...man i wish i had a refund on all the crap I have bought to put into my bikes :p

now i have 2 museum pieces that have mo $$$ than they are worth....poo

• grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2010 - 01:44 PM

come on grumpy,

:p

somefolks have 200 bucks burnin a hole in their pockets and have to have all the gizmos....

And I can't argue with that. I'm not in that category, though, and unless it does something, I probably won't own it. :thumbsup:

• Mr. Neutron

Posted November 16, 2010 - 05:17 PM

Hmmmm, Well, I asked for experiences & opinions, and Grayracer, I've gotta say, your opinion was fairly predictable, hee hee. :bonk: And I hope you understand that I'm not being a puke, or being critical when I say that. It's nice to see a man being consistent! :p

Personally, I can kinda see two views here. First, I think the seal is a more positive one than we get from a stock setup. My thoughts are that the stock seal is adequate, but the Loudmouth's is better. And a person is possibly less likely to inadvertently drop some crud in the intake tract while changing filters out in the desert or track somewhere with the Loudmouth setup. Possibly, I said.....

From a machinist's standpoint though, I just can't see that what you get in the kit for our Yammers is worth the price Loudmouth is asking, whether it solves an existing problem or not. I think Ga426owner got a good setup, that offers some security knowing the filter is seated/sealed well.... I just don't think I'm gonna pay the Loudmouth folks that much.

Basically, I decided to order 2 Twin-Air filters from motosport.com, and went & bought a bottle of BelRay filter oil.

And this kinda brings up a Twin-Air question (gonna hijack my own thread... :bonk: ): Something I recently read about Twin-Air filters, I believe in a Rocky Mtn. ATV/MC catalog, stated that "Twin-Air filters are sized smaller to create more room in the airbox" (I paraphrased that). Is this true, and does it make changing the things a little easier?

man i wish i had a refund on all the crap I have bought to put into my bikes :thumbsup:

Don't feel like you're alone there, Ga426owner. :ride: I'll bet I had one of the only $3000+ 1998 KTM 300s only worth $1200 in the county here until recently, and I've done the same thing to other bikes as well. I'm trying to keep my "bling spending" in check with this bike, and trying to put most of my money into oil/tires/maintenance/reliability types of things...... The potential "reliability" aspect of the Loudmouth is why I considered it..... Having said what I just said though, I do have a bigger skid plate, a GYTR heavy flywheel, and a flywheel puller coming with those air filters..... :mad: And radiator cages should be next, I'm thinkin'....

Jimmie

Edited by Diesel Goober, November 16, 2010 - 05:33 PM.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 17, 2010 - 10:31 AM

:thumbsup:

And I can't argue with that. I'm not in that category, though, and unless it does something, I probably won't own it. :mad:

ironic that the more you stuff you add the more issues long term you will have also.....especially when you forget about all those gizmos and what they did or did not do at the time.
"law of diminished return" both financially and technically....

take care Bud :p

• grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2010 - 12:08 PM

ironic that the more you stuff you add the more issues long term you will have also.....especially when you forget about all those gizmos and what they did or did not do at the time.

Then there's the matter of storing all the instruction sheets and stuff. Did you ever think you'd have a file cabinet in your workshop?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.