Hot Hot Hot

9 replies to this topic
  • DesertChris

Posted July 10, 2003 - 02:29 AM

I guess its payback time for being able to enjoy riding all winter long. Yesterday I was out practicing for an upcoming race and it seemed unbearably hot. I stopped by a friend's house on the way home and happened to catch the news, record high of 117°F in my little town just outside of Las Vegas. "Its a dry heat" that made me feel like either passing out or puking all over the inside of my helmet. So here's to all of you that were stuck staring at your bikes all winter :)

• jwriott

Posted July 10, 2003 - 04:55 AM

It's not exactly cool here right now. It's been in the 90's for a couple of weeks. The mountains however are about 10-15 degrees cooler and the snow is pretty much gone. :) :D

• charlieb

Posted July 10, 2003 - 05:34 AM

I guess its payback time for being able to enjoy riding all winter long. Yesterday I was out practicing for an upcoming race and it seemed unbearably hot. I stopped by a friend's house on the way home and happened to catch the news, record high of 117°F in my little town just outside of Las Vegas. "Its a dry heat" that made me feel like either passing out or puking all over the inside of my helmet. So here's to all of you that were stuck staring at your bikes all winter :)

I hear ya, I live outside Phoenix and dang it is just too hot to ride.

• wrkaholic

Posted July 10, 2003 - 09:22 AM

Hey Desert Chris,

How do you like your jetting for the weather and altitude you are in? I ride in a similar climate and elevation, but, not as hot (around 90). With your needle EJP-4, do you get an stumble at constant throttle, just off 1/4 throttle? I have the jets you are running plus the PAJ(s). I like my needle at EKP-4, but, I get that stumble off of 1/4 throttle. I am wondering if setting the PAJ(s) at 100 would help that. :) Any feedback appreciated.

• yamahasocal450

Posted July 10, 2003 - 06:12 PM

yea i hear ya there my dad went there today and said it was 117.. and some ofthe airconditioning units at some apartments were putting out 90 degree air :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted July 10, 2003 - 07:43 PM

I like my needle at EKP-4, but, I get that stumble off of 1/4 throttle. I am wondering if setting the PAJ(s) at 100 would help that.

Hmmm.

Souns like a PAJ issue to me, although your setting of 85 should work well with a 40 pilot. What the heck, go out to 90 or so and see what happens. Generally speaking, surging at constant throttle means too large on PAJ, and stumbling can be indicative of too small on PAJ, provided your throttle response is good at lower rpms.

It is either that or your bike wants a smaller straight, like an EKQ.

How restrictive is that WB Silent Insert? In my experience more restrictive exhausts like leaner pilot settings. Hmmm.

If it were me I'd probably tweak my fuel screw first, just because that is easy and needs to be ruled out first, then I'd try a larger PAJ, then I'd try the different needle.

Here's a Yamaha PN for an EKQ: 5JG-14916-E1

Hope this helps.

• wrkaholic

Posted July 11, 2003 - 08:14 AM

Hey Hick, thanks. Actually, my sig. is the new settings. When I wrote that post, I was at 38pj,65paj(s),158mj,160maj,EKP-3. I felt my bike was flat on the top end and when starting (slightly cold), it would fire, then die. I had to turn up the idle too much to get it not to die in that condition. Since I have the jets, I decided to try 40pj,85paj(s),158mj,180maj,EKP-3. I have not rode the bike yet, but, starting and choke function definitely seems better. If this works well while riding, I want to try EKP-4 again. This needle setting always gives me an off idle stumble, but, I liked the way it pulled. I have a bug up my a__ to try to get back to that needle setting without the stumble. I want to see if I can get rid of the stumble with the jets and keep the rich needle setting. What do you think? :)

• Hick

Posted July 11, 2003 - 01:15 PM

I want to see if I can get rid of the stumble with the jets and keep the rich needle setting. What do you think? :)

Hmmm. Like always, it is hard to say without riding the bike.

At 1/4 throttle you shouldn't be on the taper yet, so I don't think it is clip position. Having said that I've never measured exactly where this point is, it is so easy to pick it up when you are riding, of course where the clip position is obviously affects where the taper is with respect to the slide.

I think you could be rich on the straight.

If you want to risk the twelve bucks I say buy the EKQ, and leave everything else the same. The different straights (Q vs. P) have a fairly pronounced affect on throttle response and low-throttle cruising.

Hope this helps.

• DesertChris

Posted July 12, 2003 - 04:44 PM

I haven't given the top end a good test since it got really hot so I can't give a good responce to that part, but if I had to guess I would say a 160 would work good. I was running a 42 PJ before it got really hot if I dumped it or stalled it. After the heat set in the bike was running rich, hard to start, off idle bog, and required the hot start. When I got the chance to play with it I screwed the mixture screw in to less than a 1/2 before it changed the idle speed. I dropped in the 40 adjusted the mixture screw to achive the highest smooth idle and she pulled the front up just like before it got hot. Plus I bought the muffler from Hick so it might still have some jetting magic left in it :)

ps. The zip-ty fuel screw (or similiar) is a wonderful tuning tool for subtle air density changes.

• curtis916

Posted July 14, 2003 - 03:05 PM

Have you tried Alaska this time of year???

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.