'03 yz450f

6 replies to this topic
  • Masteradd8

Posted November 14, 2010 - 02:58 PM

Just bought a '03 YZ450F. So far bike seems to run great. Looking for any pointers on thumpers. Anyone have any advice for me on maintenance? This is my first 4-stoke. Came off a '95 CR250.

Also need to get some new tires. Any recommendations? I do mostly mid-atlantic trails and some track riding.

Thanks,
Adam

• rasta

Posted November 14, 2010 - 04:21 PM

i had the same bike, probably my favorite. i did a 6oz flywheel and geared it high. your oil should be chnged with the oil filter after or every other ride. i always ran kenda carlsbad tires since they lasted the longest. the dr.d pipe seems to be the best mod for bottom and mid range power. there is a lowering link for the rear you can get and some offset triple clamps cuz the front end likes to push.

• KJ55

Posted November 14, 2010 - 04:39 PM

Important maintenance is changing air filter every ride and oil every 2-3 rides.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzdaddy

Posted November 14, 2010 - 07:00 PM

i bought one new still have it. now days it gets ridden in the woods. i havent done anything but keep it serviced. it was on race track for 2 years. have checked vavle tol. a jillion times and never adjusted. i too geared mine up. luv the 4 speed. easy wheelin scoot. ride 09 now.

• trevor450f

Posted November 14, 2010 - 07:33 PM

I've got an 03 too.

Aside from the oil/air filter, I would suggest you check your swingarm bushings, wheel bearings, steering head bearings, rear shock bearings, etc. sooner than later.

I left mine a little too long apparently, and I had to replace more than I wanted to. I don't do a whole lot of riding, but I'm still going to pull it all apart once a year, just to make sure they still have grease.

• Masteradd8

Posted November 15, 2010 - 05:17 AM

Thanks for the input. Bearings all seem good except maybe steering. Guess I'll get on replacing it. How high did you go with gearing? tooth or 2 on front sprocket?

• yzdaddy

Posted November 16, 2010 - 05:59 PM

i went up one on the front

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.