new to me 450

4 replies to this topic
  • lumpy790

Posted November 14, 2010 - 05:48 AM

Its far from new but......I picked up a 08 yz450f basket case that had the clutch basket shatter. Cases have been split and everything cleaned out. They included a good clutch they picked up on feebay. But the cylinder has a ring around the top where the piston was so worn it was rocking.

Posted Image

Is this cylinder wear a common thing on 450's? Will it run with it like it is or should I get a new one or replate?

Might need a stator too as someone must have thrown something in the box and chipped the coating. I will re-seal it with some epoxy 1st and see if it works before buying a new one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• crf450319

Posted November 14, 2010 - 07:39 AM

That cylinder is shot, you'll more than likely need to replace the piston/rings/pin as well. A new OEM cylinder is $238 from ServiceYamaha.com, so the old one isn't really worth re-plating.

Good luck !

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kx250fnick

Posted November 14, 2010 - 08:09 AM

Yeah,that cylinder is toast,wear on 450's depends how you ride them,just like any other bike.

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2010 - 08:34 AM

A new OEM cylinder is $238 ... so the old one isn't really worth re-plating.

OTOH, it would be a nice core for a 470 kit.

• lumpy790

Posted November 15, 2010 - 06:43 AM

No big bore kit for me......staying stock. Probably going with OEM piston too.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.