'10 yz450f dies constantly and doesnt like to start

5 replies to this topic
  • darius228

Posted November 14, 2010 - 01:39 AM

So 2010 yz450f has been a bastard to start since day one, most of the time when its cold itll start in 3-5 kicks. Tonight after ruining my first arenacross race night I'm tired of it, it died 3 times in practice. 1 time in each of my motos, and a couple times when I'm sitting at the gate putting my goggles on..... after it dies it will NOT start, in my first moto I kicked it while the rest of my class made 2 laps before I got it going for the checkered flag...... Yes I'm putting it in neutral and yes I'm doing the hold it wide open and kick slow a few times to clear it out. I've never had a problem with killing it before on any other bike. First with the gytr power tuner can I turn up the idle or do something to make it less likely to die? Is it something stupid like a bad spark plug? Anybody? anything? Thanks for any info

• SEOINAGE

Posted November 14, 2010 - 08:00 AM

Twist your idle adjuster out a couple times. why hold it wide open? I go down slowly with it once, with the start knob pulled out, then kick it hard and it fires right up unless its ice cold outside. when hot i don't have to do anything but just kick it, I adjusted the idle and it never dies unless I go too slow in first without the clutch which is obvious.

• whitedevil450

Posted November 14, 2010 - 08:06 AM

Do not give it gas. It's not a 2 stroke.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motocat1

Posted November 14, 2010 - 08:29 AM

I have actually had great luck cracking throttle open.

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2010 - 08:37 AM

Read the manual. The idle speed is set manually, not by using the tuner.

• darius228

Posted November 14, 2010 - 12:37 PM

Read the manual. The idle speed is set manually, not by using the tuner.

Thanks guys, I've read some of the manual and it says if it won't start to hold it wide open and kick it slow a few times to clear it out. Anyways I guess I didn't read the part where I can adjust the idle I thought with this new fangled injection I was stuck. Thanks hopefully I can put together some motos now if this thing will stay running

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.