2001 YZ 426F Is this a good bike/deal?

11 replies to this topic
  • SoCalSTEVE

Posted November 13, 2010 - 04:08 PM

Getting back into desert riding and getting the whole family bikes.

I am looking at this 2001 YZ 426 for $1350.

Is this a good deal? Good desert bike for myself (38 - 6'4" 275LB+) ?

Thanks in advance ....

Super clean and well maintained YZ426. Oil changed every other ride, Uni Air filter cleaned every ride. Comes with new Uni as well as whats on the bike. New Renthal sprocket and chain, New EBC Brakes, Kickstand, Scotts Steering stabilizer mount. New springs (comes with stock springs) Spark Arrester. Pro Circuit pipe, Renthal handlebars, Excel rims, Full skid plate, Kayaba suspension. Zero leaks. Blast to ride. Super fun. This bike is ready to ride.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by SoCalSTEVE, November 13, 2010 - 04:58 PM.

• kx250fnick

Posted November 13, 2010 - 04:25 PM

Looks like a clean bike,but always go over the bike with a fine tooth comb,those 426's can be bitches to start in the winter,and proably has less power than a current 450,but there are no real reliability issues,check your valves every so often.Just regular maintainence can be performed,but keep an eye on your internals if your running the bike hard.

• jsantapau

Posted November 13, 2010 - 04:45 PM

Getting back into desert riding and getting the whole family bikes.

I am looking at this 2110 YZ 426 for $1350.

Is this a good deal? Good desert bike for myself (38 - 6'4" 275LB+) ?

Thanks in advance ....

]

well hell if you can get a bike that is 100 years in the future for 1350 I would say you got a great deal but for all else cost equals condition for anything used

• SoCalSTEVE

Posted November 13, 2010 - 04:58 PM

well hell if you can get a bike that is 100 years in the future for 1350 I would say you got a great deal but for all else cost equals condition for anything used

Tells you were our dollar is going! :p

• Birdy426

Posted November 13, 2010 - 07:33 PM

$1350 is kinda average price in socal, but that one looks really, really clean, better than most, so I'd say it's a pretty good deal by a benjamin or two.

Ask the owner when the last time the valves were checked, and if they were in spec. If not, how much did the shims change? Also, put it up on a stand or crate and check the wheel bearings, swing arm pivot, and steering head for "slop". There's no particular problem with the YZ426's in those areas, but with used bikes in general, those are things to watch out for. If there's slop in those areas, it may be a hint that maintenance wasn't as meticulous as the owner claims.

As far as the bike for play riding int he des, you will love it. Great power, good straight line handling...doesn't carve the corners well, though, without some tuning and fiddling, and even then it's not a great turner, but they are fast, easy to ride, and as reliable as a claw hammer.

If you don't do ANYTHING else to the bike, put in either a YZ450 exhaust cam or a hotcams exhaust cam with auto-decompression. Best $150 you can spend for these bikes. Easier to start, easier to ride, no flame outs...

Where abouts in SoCal are you?

• SoCalSTEVE

Posted November 14, 2010 - 07:00 AM

Birdy 426

Thanks for the above info, I appreciate it. I live in Murrieta.

Thanks,
Steve

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • whitedevil450

Posted November 14, 2010 - 07:50 AM

I sold mine 4 months ago for $1700. Plus the guy got an extra 3.4 gal tank, Trail tech computer and extra pipe. I'd say he's right in the ballpark.

• cowboyona426

Posted November 15, 2010 - 08:33 AM

Seems like a fair deal to me.

• rundell

Posted November 16, 2010 - 11:38 AM

I Have an 01 426 all set up for Desert Racing and I love it, I have put the hot cams auto decompressing cams on it, I also use the oversized tank and a GPR Dampner on it. The bike handles great and keeps up with most 450's and riders. I love it so you should in good shape with that one.

• VFRCaptBob

Posted November 16, 2010 - 08:46 PM

I've owned mine for just over a year. Great bike and no issues. Just sunk $600 more in the suspension and auto decomp cam and I'm happy with it. Only problem is the cooling system is subpar for trail and desert riding. It needs to keep moving or it overheats and spills coolant. Kind of a pain when you're waiting for stragglers to catch up. I may look into the bigger radiators for mine. They are not cheap. WR426/450 is probably a better bet but expect to pay another 800 or so for it at least.

• darky82

Posted November 16, 2010 - 11:21 PM

check out australian prices around $3500-$4000 for somthing like that over here i got mine not long ago for $3300 been rebuilt, cheap as in the US.

• SoCalSTEVE

Posted November 17, 2010 - 11:03 AM

Since I will be riding in the desert and trails with my bike, I have narrowed down to bikes that I am looking at today.

04 XR400 with some nice add ons or 03 DR-Z 400 from original owner who hardly rode it.

Thanks for the help!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.