engine noise

7 replies to this topic
  • Jason_Earles

Posted March 06, 2001 - 06:29 PM

I have a nealy new 2000 model 426 that I bought from a friend of mine. I noticed today when I started it that it has some engine noise. As soon as I get to 1/8 throttle the noise is gone. I never ride my bike without wearing a helmet. Is this a normal noise that these bikes and my helmet muffles it? I didn't clarify that I bought the bike last October and ride about 2 or 3 times a month. I have never noticed the sound before but hardly ever start it unless I'm going to ride so I usually have on my helmet. I engaged and disengaged the clutch to see if the sound changes through operation of the clutch. It always sounds the same no matter what position the clutch is in. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.

• dirtdad

Posted March 06, 2001 - 06:48 PM

Jason, There has been so much written here concerning engine noise that I would be doing you an injustice trying to answer your question in one reply. Just do a search on
clutch, cb gear, or just plain engine noise and you should have plenty of reading to do.
If that doesn't answer your question then by all means, post your question again! Hope this helps. Don't think I'm trying to blow off your question. Most of us are very eager to help when/where we can. Good luck!

• Scott_F

Posted March 07, 2001 - 07:14 AM

Jason, my money is on the CB gear key. Check out the past threads and get back to us.

• Tom_Higdon

Posted March 07, 2001 - 07:46 AM

That is one of the resons I got in the habit a long time ago of riding with hearing protection (ear plugs). After about the first 5 minutes of riding and getting used to them, it really raises the comfort level. My starts are better because you can actually hear your own bike better, as they really just suppress the high frequency noises associated with most machinery, plus keep the wind and dirt out of your ear canals.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DaveJ

Posted March 07, 2001 - 01:44 PM

Scott,

How does the CB key make so much noise without failing?

Seems like if it got to this point it would just give (break) in the next few miles.

Ya think it's worth looking at even if all is well?

DaveJ

• Boit

Posted March 07, 2001 - 04:03 PM

I'm with you on the ear plugs Tom. I also find that using the plugs helps me concentrate better on what I'm doing and block out the other bikes....and it seems to have a calming effect on me.

• Scott_F

Posted March 08, 2001 - 07:57 AM

My theory is that at low revs, the play in the key allows the CB shaft to oscillate and bang against the key. It's hard to believe that such a simple thing can make that much noise, but it can, and it will!

The keys get mashed on the sides which causes the play. The more it runs that way, the worse it will get, but I don't know if the key can shear in two. I hate to imagine what might happen then. I'm wondering if the '00 CB keys were not properly hardened. I also think the tolerances are not tight enough, that's why I make mine a tighter fit.

I wouldn't bother inspecting it until the noise starts, or if you happen to be putting in a Hinson basket or something.

• okie426

Posted March 08, 2001 - 06:29 PM

Jason,

Have you inspected the cb gear yet?

Were going to Lake Murray Saturday to ride the cross country course. Give me a call if you can go.

Tom S.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.