Alright.... good news and bad news

3 replies to this topic
  • Vanquish66

Posted November 12, 2010 - 01:00 PM

For me I guess. And my 99 YZ400F

The Good:
After the bike sat and was apart, and together, and apart, and together 400 times or so.... its finally back in running order. I figured out all of my carb related issues and am waiting on a new set of jets and a needle valve

The Bad:
Also after the bike sat through all of this, i've now got two issues.
[1] Seems like it may just need to be flushed, but my radiator has some black particles floating in it (just looks like black flecks or dirt).
[2] Out of the crankcase breather is coming oil. A fair amount (enough to create a small puddle maybe 1" wide). Accompanying that the oil that does come out seems to have fine strands of milky fluid coming with it, which obviously made me stomach churn. There is also some whiteish smoke coming from my exhaust pipe after its been running.

Things to know:
-I added oil a long time back because it seemed low. I worry I overfilled a good amount.
-I haven't ever changed the coolant. The coolant level also is normal, so I don't know that there is a gasket leak somewhere. But the black flecks in the coolant have me worried that it may be the remains of one that I need to find, and fast.

At this point I'm thinking flushing both the radiator AND my engine oil is a good plan. I'm not sure of the service before I bought it and started working on it (about 18mo ago). Anything you guys can throw out there is much appreciated.

• brentn

Posted November 12, 2010 - 01:28 PM

It sounds like a bad head gasket, partially blown that is. The loss of coolant is the most obvious sign. The black bits in the coolant might be what's left of a seal... maybe, could even be parts of the head gasket or carbon buildup around it.. who knows until you check..

Do a coolant flush and make sure you're oil is clean. Fill the rad right up and run the bike for an hour. Let it cool completely and then check the coolant level. It should be just above the inner core when you look inside, if it's lower than that then you have a leak. Remember that even though you filled it completely when the engine gets to running temp then the coolant system must displace coolant because of the hot coolant. This means that you'll always blow a little coolant out when fully filled cause when coolant is hot the volume increases, thus why I said it should be just above the rad core and not right up to the filler neck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vanquish66

Posted November 16, 2010 - 03:45 PM

Alright well I will be on my way in about five minutes to pick up some oil to flush with and grab some coolant for after i flush the radiator.

And there is not a drop in coolant level at all, which is why the black flecks confuse me. I will post an update after I flush my fluids and run it for a few minutes.

Thanks again man

• brentn

Posted November 16, 2010 - 04:54 PM

btw, condensation can and will form in the header and silencer when the bike sits, especially when it starts getting a little colder out.
If your not losing coolant this may be the culprit

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.