Plug drain

3 replies to this topic
  • desdave

Posted November 12, 2010 - 07:43 AM

Regarding the drain hole in the head to allow water to drain from the spark plug well. Any others find their plug heavily rusted from water getting in thru that hole when power washing? Any harm in plugging that hole to prevent that? I ride in So Cal desert so wet riding conditions aren't an issue :smirk

• gsa102

Posted November 12, 2010 - 09:11 AM

How will you get the water and dirt out after you wash it? Spark plugs are meant to be disposable. I would only plug it while washing the bike.

Edited by gsa102, November 12, 2010 - 09:12 AM.
add info

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JDLowrance

Posted November 16, 2010 - 04:52 AM

Keep that hole open and clear! The purpose of the hole is to allow water to migrate away from the spark plug.

If it is plugged, the water that inevitably gets under spark plug cap or coil will boil when up to temp, turn to steam and pop your cap off causing bike to stall and you to stand around scratching your head thinking what happened.

John

• harvmushman

Posted November 16, 2010 - 07:36 AM

After I saw the rusted plug syndrome on mine, I started squirting WD40 in there after washing in order to disperse the water.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.