Can you plate a 2001 WR426f in CA?

11 replies to this topic
  • randy450r

Posted November 11, 2010 - 07:41 PM

I have a 2001 Yamaha WR426f. In CA, can you get this plated? If so, what do you need and how much does it cost at the DMV? Any help is appreciated.

• KennyMc

Posted November 11, 2010 - 09:18 PM

Unfortunately, CA stopped allowing dual sport conversions in 2004:foul:

• 748*2Risk

Posted November 12, 2010 - 09:19 AM

My '98 was non-op when I purchased it, just green stickered. I put it back on the road this year with a plate with no problem. But like I said it was non-op so at one time it was registered with plate during it's life. I would still call DMV and try to get yours on the road.

• randy450r

Posted November 12, 2010 - 06:30 PM

thanks guys. Maybe I'll contact the DMV, but I will not get my hopes up.

• Kawidad

Posted November 13, 2010 - 11:45 AM

Unfortunately, CA stopped allowing dual sport conversions in 2004:foul:

He's correct. :thumbsup: However, I have read that some local DMV offices will still allow it out of ignorance and or whatever else might come into play.

In this case, Kommiefornia started the ball rolling on this non sense, and now the feds have picked it up and are spreading it to other states as well. :p

• byggd

Posted November 14, 2010 - 09:14 AM

As already stated the law changed but I believe it was 03 (Jan. 31st 03). There is a chance you will get it past the DMV if you ask to "dual register" it but there is still the risk of getting a letter from Sacramento asking you to surrender the plate. Best of luck!
http://www.thumperta...=another plated

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • randy450r

Posted November 14, 2010 - 05:09 PM

If I cannot convert my 2001 WR, what dualsport lbike would you suggest I purchase? I like something affordable but reliable as I would probably only use it 2-3 times per year.

• miweber929

Posted November 14, 2010 - 06:17 PM

Well, what I did with my 04 was install all the necessary DMV stuff and pulled the plate off an old bike I have at my parents and hope for the best. I don't ride roads much myself and hope if I ever do get stopped, I get a clueless officer or an understanding one. Until I figure out how to plate it legally however

You can carry insurance on the bike, FYI. I figure that helps as well.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 14, 2010 - 11:32 PM

If I cannot convert my 2001 WR, what dualsport lbike would you suggest I purchase? I like something affordable but reliable as I would probably only use it 2-3 times per year.

tons of already plated dirt bikes in craigslist.

WR or KTM will be a good choice.

• whatttup_g

Posted November 23, 2010 - 08:26 PM

go out of state if possible, there are 49 shots at finding a place less communist than this foresaken land of leaf lickers.. you have a relative living near by at all?

• Kawidad

Posted November 25, 2010 - 02:21 PM

Well, what I did with my 04 was install all the necessary DMV stuff and pulled the plate off an old bike I have at my parents and hope for the best. I don't ride roads much myself and hope if I ever do get stopped, I get a clueless officer or an understanding one. Until I figure out how to plate it legally however

You can carry insurance on the bike, FYI. I figure that helps as well.

I wouldn't do this in Kommiefornia, because it's a felony. Meaning, BIG TROUBLE if you get caught!:p

• Kawidad

Posted November 25, 2010 - 02:24 PM

go out of state if possible, there are 49 shots at finding a place less communist than this foresaken land of leaf lickers.. you have a relative living near by at all?

I've known of a few guys that have done that and leaf licking rangers wrote them up for failing to register and out of state bike, in state (out of state registered bike with a Kommiefornia driver's license). It's a fix it ticket, but highly problematic since you can't register a dirt bike here.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.