01 yz issues

26 replies to this topic
  • vs

Posted March 05, 2001 - 06:35 PM

what problems do any of you have with your 01 yz 426 or wr ive read some and just bought one and am thinking of buying another for offroad use maybe a wr but after reading these posts im not sure they are safe to jump will these bikes fail on take offs or just slowly so i know ahead of time how about rear hubs any 01 broken the bike works good so far even in sx im coming off a 00 yz250 and i think im riding faster each time so i dont want to give it up

• Boit

Posted March 05, 2001 - 09:48 PM

I don't know if you are asking a question or making a statement. A little punctuation would help with clarification.

• G-Man

Posted March 06, 2001 - 12:20 AM

"I don't know if you are asking a question or making a statement. A little punctuation would help with clarification."

LOL Ok then Boit it wasn't just me who thought his post was a lil odd? :)

I also haven't heard of any problems with the 01 426 (as I knock on wood).
Other than of course if you just don't have the knack for starting it and it takes you about 10 rides to figure it out! :D

------------------
G-Man

• teamtoxic

Posted March 06, 2001 - 06:32 AM

Kinda weird.

------------------
~~~~~YaMaHaFoUrTwOsIx~~~~~

• SNF

Posted March 06, 2001 - 08:33 AM

vs dont know no punk-chew-ate-chen

• dirtdad

Posted March 06, 2001 - 08:44 AM

Now, now guys! Nothing like making a new member feel welcome. Hopefully vs, you're not discouraged from sharing/asking for info in the future. All these engineers and rocket scientists forget sometimes that we all can't be colij gradiats!

• SNF

Posted March 06, 2001 - 09:14 AM

This is true. I know vs and what he is asking is if anyone has had or seen any acute bike failures while riding. The kind that put you over the bars onto the snapping collar bone or worse. Not the failures due to lack of maintenance, we're talking manufacturing defects.

• billyo

Posted March 06, 2001 - 09:30 AM

i think what he is trying to say is this:
he is just recently coming off a yz250, 2 stroke, and he has replaced it with a 01 yz426. his concerns to me are these:
1. rear hub failures
2. clutch basket failures
3. any weird engine failures, or trouble spots.
looks to me like he does mostly motocross tracks, with some supercross style tracks thrown in. he is worried about failures mostly on the jump faces.
he feels he is getting better on the bike everytime he rides it and wants to commit to the yz426 100% but his only reservation would be mechanically or ignition related problems.
that would be my translation. good luck...

• forloop

Posted March 06, 2001 - 10:32 PM

First, I'm a engineer and we are the worst spellers in the world. I think the rocket scientists maybe better. :D I don't know how many times that I wished I had a spell checker in this editor. :)

VS:

I have only had my 01 YZ for a month, but it's qualtity is on par with the YZ250. They are very heavy riders that ride the YZ250's so the extra weight of the 426 should not add much extra stress on the wheels and suspension. I know the frame is different than the 250, but I have not herd of Yamaha having frame problems on any of their YZ's. I think of all the MX bikes Honda and Yamaha are on top with quality.

I would not think you have much too worry about.

Good Luck and welcome to the board,

------------------
Rick
01 YZ426F #85 Vet C

• Hick

Posted March 06, 2001 - 10:39 PM

Thanks SNF and billyo.

vs,

I’m not gonna bash your grammar, but I’m sure your English is fine, if you just broke things up into a few separate sentences all these egg-heads would leave you alone. Don’t take it personally, they are just trying to be entertaining (it’s working) and you gave ‘em an easy target.

The tranny in my ’00 426 grenaded, and had I been on the face of a triple jump bad things would have happened to me I’m sure since a shifting fork wedged under the crank, locking up the motor.

Oh, I almost forgot, the gears in your 250 are identical to the ones in my thumper. :)

IMO the ’00 426 clutch, as delivered, isn’t too good for motocross, despite the relative lack of a need for one on a big thumper, because it is very grabby. As a former ring-dinger you will probably notice this right away and hate it. The F doesn’t have an oil bath surrounding the clutch like a two stroke. Solution? Buy a Hinson basket and warm the bike up thoroughly before the race starts.

I’ve never heard of anybody who tried the YZF for moto and did not love it. Rarely will you see a guy go BACK to a two stroke, but I’m sure many hard-core motocrossers prefer the snappy (hyperactive to me) power and flickable, (unstable to me) light weight.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boit

Posted March 06, 2001 - 02:59 PM

Sorry.....just couldn't resist... :)

• billyo

Posted March 07, 2001 - 05:11 AM

dear hick,
i noticed your comment regarding people who switch to a 426 from a 2 stroke rarely go back to a 2 stroke. i tried my 426 on numerous occassions but i just dont seem to be getting along with the bike at all. first of all i think the bike is very cumbersome and top heavy in gun and run style tracks. unfortunately here in nj,pa,ny area most tracks are like that. you can hit maybe 4th gear. mostly 2nd and 3rd everywhere you go. also in sandy or loose soil conditions i think the bike feels too unpredictable in the front end. my current riding style favors a 125. i know vs personally and he will agree with me on these points. i havent yet tried to attack a set of whoops for fear i might end up like jimmy button or tim ferry in which they both crashed hard and received neck injuries. no thanks. i fell and stalled it enough times to kiss it goodbye.
so in closing i am going back to my 2 smoke 125 as they call it and stay safe. my level of confidence and riding ability is much higher on the 125. at my age i dont want to put myself in a more compromising position and open up more chances for injury. i am not knocking the 426, it sure has its strong points but it has weaknesses too. in motocross, i believe all mx bikes are good, regardless of make and engine size. its just a matter of picking the right weapon that suits your needs and style. good luck to all of you converting to the 4 stoke. vs will keep you posted on his progress.

• Hick

Posted March 07, 2001 - 07:06 AM

Originally posted by billyo:
First of all I think the bike is very cumbersome and top heavy in gun and run style tracks.

I’m sure your right.

…also in sandy or loose soil conditions I think the bike feels too unpredictable in the front end.

That makes less sense to me. I recently rode an ’01 CR to try out the 20” the guy had just mounted, the front end was all over the place, even on hard pack, I had to reacquaint myself with the sensation of having to constantly mind where I placed the front. The extra weight up front on a YZ gives the front a sensation of being firmly planted.

I haven’t yet tried to attack a set of whoops for fear I might end up like Jimmy Button.

IMO the thumper is way better in whoops because it tracks straighter, I can tank slap the CR much easier. I don’t worry about what happened to those guys because I’m not Jimmy Button. Bailey broke his neck on a CR, but at the time I decided to continue to ride mine.

…I just don’t seem to be getting along with the bike at all.

I’ve lost count of how many new YZF owners, myself included, said the exact same thing only to change their minds once they figured out how to ride the bike.

I fell and stalled it enough times to kiss it goodbye, so in closing I am going back to my 2 smoke 125 as they call it and stay safe. My level of confidence and riding ability is much higher on the 125.

I agree that you should ride whatever you are most comfortable with. I should point out I don’t race moto ever, there are no tracks where I live. I only get the chance to do an off-road event once a month or so, and the YZF is by far the most popular bike out west for off road. Smooth power = more stamina. That’s why I’m having a hard time relating to the fact that anyone would prefer a 125, that’s a useless bike for my riding.

Bottom line is it doesn’t sound like the bike suits your style, but coming from a 125 would be a difficult transition for anybody, so I also suspect had you given yourself more time things would be different, but your time is the most valuable thing you have.

Do any of your friends have a 250F you can try? :)

• billyo

Posted March 07, 2001 - 09:32 AM

hick,
what i mean by unpredictable in the front end in loose conditions is regarding aggressive cornering like 180 style supercross turns in loose conditions or sand. thats how most turns are on mx tracks up here. i should of explained that in more detail.
as for your style of off road i can see why you like it so much. i would definitely agree with you on that but 95% of my riding takes place on mx tracks with whoop fields, tight turns, and jumps right out of corners, mostly a supercross layout. also some of my off roading for fun takes place in south jersey which is all sand. what a handful that bike was. the front tire just plows. a 2 stroke gets right up on top of it and tracks straighter.
as for a whoop field in a natural setting (rounded) verses a man made whoop field (peaky and shorter spaced). there is a big difference. on naturally made whoops you can just pin it and ride it through, theres no question that the yz426 would handle it with ease. but in man made track style whoops, what a difference. bike seems too front heavy. also has a lesser response from the engine which doesn't allow you to get on top of them and hammer through with ease. if you allow the front end of the 426 to drop in one of those whoops it could spell instant endo like button and ferry and i've also seen it happen on a local level too.
as for a yz250f, my friend just picked one up. he has not ridden it yet because we just got hit with more snow. thanks for the comments, have fun and stay safe...

• flyinguitars

Posted March 07, 2001 - 12:21 PM

Billyo,
Where are you riding in S Jersey? I know theres alot of sandy soil here, but theres also alot of places to ride in S Jersey with firm dirt or clay type soil.
Mike

• MikeOK

Posted March 07, 2001 - 12:41 PM

I agree that the 426 is a handicap on a tight technical track, but it makes up for it in whoops and whole-shots. I came off a YZ250 and found it to be a better ride on a tight track. Power delivery is much better on the 426 once you get used to it, on all tracks...

• SNF

Posted March 07, 2001 - 01:36 PM

Billyo... You've got to call a spade a spade. You bought the 426 and rode it four times before you gave up. That's not numerous and disqualifies you from any real comment. Your a biased 125 rider. 'nuff said.

[This message has been edited by SNF (edited 03-07-2001).]

• vs

Posted March 07, 2001 - 01:48 PM

Let me rephrase my original question, has anyone had any mechanical problems with their 01 yz 426?

• HUSAFREEK

Posted March 08, 2001 - 05:13 AM

Good for you VS! Give 'em hell!!!!

------------------

• forloop

Posted March 08, 2001 - 05:33 AM

Originally posted by vs:
Let me rephrase my original question, has anyone had any mechanical problems with their 01 yz 426?

One month in and smooth as silk! Ok, I did foul a spark plug from turning the throttle when it was not running.

------------------
Rick
01 YZ426F #85 Vet C

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.