deciding between the 250 or 400/426.....

8 replies to this topic
  • c2

Posted April 10, 2001 - 04:40 AM

I'm sure there are other riders like me wondering if they should have held out for the wr250. I'm only 5'9" 155lbs so when I first got the wr400 I thought I had made a BIG BLUE mistake. I ride very tight, rocky, steep trails in south central PA. Any how after dropping it about 100 times on the side of hills, flooding the carb, stalls etc... I was feeling very frustrated. BUT, like anything in life, it takes time to get s**t worked out sometimes. With the addition of a flywheel weight and some saddle time I now love the bike. Even in the tight, steep crap. Once you get used to how the bike is going to react AND more importantly what situations NOT to put the bike in you're ready to go. I would not trade the power for weight reduction. Plus, mamma likes the shoulders and upper arms I'm gettin' from horsin' this thing around. Anybody else feel the same????

• Ynahg

Posted April 10, 2001 - 05:11 AM

Don't worry, imagine how I (5'8'' and 130lbs )felt the first time I rided this blue horse !!! It was the bike that was riding with me, not me riding the bike.
After one or two months i learned to use the power to control the weight and I wouldn't ride anything less powerfull anymore. Drop the 250

------------------
'99 WR400 F, YZ exhaust, throttle stop trimmed, WR timing, airbox cover removed

• Guest_XRyder_*

Posted April 20, 2001 - 10:11 AM

Hey c2 - Where do you live? I'm in south east PA. love to come out your way! contact me - ok?

best - jwm

• paul913

Posted April 20, 2001 - 10:44 AM

Hey C2, I'm 6'6" 250#. I've had an opportunity to ride the WR250F three times now. Each of these times we were riding altitudes over 5,000 ft. And given all that, that little blue horse has plenty of power to throw me around. It certainly jumped better than my 99 WR400.

Bryan and I were running gullies (washouts in the desert) in Pueblo and both of us commented that we were having trouble controling it because we didn't realize how fast we were going. Sure, if you're running fourth gear through the desert or blasting sand dunes, the 426/400 would be the machine. But, really how much of that do you get in PA? We spend a lot of the summer riding trees and roots in Steamboat. I can think of several trails where I'd rather have the 250F under me.

Our buddy Dave from Steamboat just got one with a Scotts Damper. He's going to be way fast this year!

Not to confuse you further, but horsepower doesn't always translate into speed. It would be well worth your time to try one.

Jake

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bryan Bosch

Posted April 20, 2001 - 12:21 PM

Personally I like the ablility to lug down and power out when I need it. It is so nice to slow down in the middle of a steep hill, pick a new line, and go. On the smaller bore bikes with less torque, you seem to have to hit steeper nasty trails with a lot more speed. Once you let off the gas too much, it is hard to get going again. I just like the torque of the 400/426. From what I understand, you have to rev the wr250f to make power. I'm sure you'd get used to it regardless.

• Bill

Posted April 20, 2001 - 12:54 PM

C2,

Where ya at? I'm in York. Ever ride Tower City or Rausch Creek?

Let's hook up.

Bill

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Cycra Pro-Bend hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC, Rausch Creek MXC, Tower City Trail Riders.

• ecarlson

Posted April 21, 2001 - 12:18 PM

I am 6'0" 205 and have a WR400. I love the power, but I have a tough time finishing an enduro because it wears me out in tight twisty woods with lots of sand. My friend bought a WR250 and man is it light and tossable, but man is it down on power.
If I never rode a 400/426, I would probably love the 250. He hadn't ridden my bike before his purchase and had instant buyer's remorse after riding mine.
As for me, my next bike will have to be lighter. I don't know if it will be a WR250 or another brand's enduro ready 2-smoke to get the power similar to the 400....a totally subjective matter of personal preference.

[This message has been edited by ecarlson (edited 04-21-2001).]

• c2

Posted April 23, 2001 - 04:09 AM

The comment "if I never rode the 400...." is right on. Where I live are MONSTER climbs full of rocks and roots etc. and you gotta be able to lug. There is not one person that rides a bike smaller than a 250 2stroke around. The 400 does have the potential to wear you out, that's for sure. I'm lucky, we have a couple of places where I can really open the throttle. I took a full inch off each side of the bars and in the tight stuff it's great now. Gotta love the lug.

Chris

• YZ400Court

Posted April 23, 2001 - 05:14 AM

I am an avid YZ 400/426 fan. If i had it to do over again, I would have begged and pleaded for someone to let me ride a KTM 400 or 520. They come with all the trick stuff from the factory. Super light, electric start, smooth power, juice clutch, magura bars, you know all the stuff that makes a $5500 bike cost $7000.
I went to some Texas enduros this year, and noticed at least half the bikes on these tight twisty trails (certainlly not the Arizona desert i'm used to) were katooms. Beg, plead, grovel, ride and guess what...
My new 520 exc will be here this week :).

------------------
Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.